Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From the Pantibar!!!

• 29-06-2018 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Seriously RTE, reporting on the issues facing lgbt youths from outside a bar?
    What next abortion legislation from copper faced jacks, probably due the mainstream media obsession with the place.
    Not trying to be offensive but it does seem to trivialise the issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Issues facing them?
    I had a discussion with a fellow builder about how great it was two lads walking by the site could safely walk up the street holding hands today.

Ten years ago people would have attacked them.

What issues do they have now?

What next abortion legislation from copper faced jacks, probably due the mainstream media obsession with the place.

He's the Queen of Ireland dontcha know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Do we really need another LGBT and Pride related thread? I think the annual quota has been used up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Issues facing them?
    I had a discussion with a fellow builder about how great it was two lads walking by the site could safely walk up the street holding hands today.

You do realise 10 years ago was 2008?
    Things were not that bad then.
    Even 20 years ago I don't think that would have happened.

yesto24 wrote: »

You think two lads could walk down a road in the middle of kinehan territory holding hands ten years ago with nobody batting an eyelid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The mustache parade?

You think two lads could walk down a road in the middle of kinehan territory holding hands ten years ago with nobody batting an eyelid?

No.
    But you said they would be attcked.
    And wow, you really live life on the edge, you are working in the middle of Kinehan territory.

No.
    But you said they would be attcked.
    And wow, you really live life on the edge, you are working in the middle of Kinehan territory.

Yes there are loads of hotels being built in kinehan territory at the moment. Havnt you noticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If they just stop having pride weekend then everybody is treated the same and just gets on with things?

Yes there are loads of hotels being built in kinehan territory at the moment. Havnt you noticed?

Sarcasm.
    Once again gone over your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Issues facing them?

Two gay guys got the unholy crap beaten out of them this week with hurls. So... lots of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He's the Queen of Ireland dontcha know

And the official spokesman for all things gay...

Two gay guys got the unholy crap beaten out of them this week with hurls. So... lots of issues.

Straight lads get hidings as well. You know there’s all this stuff about violence against gays and violence about women but straight men getting hit never gets reported much.

I’d say more gay men and women get beaten by their partners these days than get beaten by homophobes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Look, if the reporter was in India with the Taj Mahal in the background I would get you confusion with the relevance...but not for a gay bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Straight lads get hidings as well. You know there’s all this stuff about violence against gays and violence about women but straight men getting hit never gets reported much.

I’d say more gay men and women get beaten by their partners these days than get beaten by homophobes.

Do straight lads get hidings BECAUSE they are straight? Not really a comparison is it?

Do straight lads get hidings BECAUSE they are straight? Not really a comparison is it?

Probably because they are lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Come back to us when straight guys are getting hidings from gay guys because they are straight. Then you will have a valid comparison to discuss. I really can believe that anybody needs something this simple explained to them.

So that makes it ok? Because straight people occasionally get hopped on it’s ok that gay people get hopped on BECAUSE they’re gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What the hell are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nice bit of free publicity for Pantibar. Didn't realise the parade was tomorrow. Was planning on heading into the city centre to get a few things but no point now. The traffic will be a disaster.

• Advertisement

So that makes it ok? Because straight people occasionally get hopped on it’s ok that gay people get hopped on BECAUSE they’re gay?

There’s mental people out there. A few headbangers who are going to get in a fight. If it wasn’t the gay fella it’d be the fella who looked at him or the fella who robbed his drink. The average joe doesn’t give who people sleep with much thought anymore.

I’d say a gay fella now is as likely to get a dig off a nutter on his way through temple bar at 4am as a straight fella.

This isn’t an issue facing gay people it’s an issue facing all people

I’m just reading up on that attack and it’s just as likely they were beaten because they were foreign.

Do you honestly think the scumbags headed out in port Laois at night with hurls Incase they bumped into a gay? They were going to attack somebody

There’s mental people out there. A few headbangers who are going to get in a fight. If it wasn’t the gay fella it’d be the fella who looked at him or the fella who robbed his drink. The average joe doesn’t give who people sleep with much thought anymore.

I’d say a gay fella now is as likely to get a dig off a nutter on his way through temple bar at 4am as a straight fella.

This isn’t an issue facing gay people it’s an issue facing all people

And that post right there, and the ignorance within it, is why we still need a pride month.

I'm wondering if perhaps you're making their sexuality an issue, or they did to gain sympathy. They could have been beaten up because they were assholes.

Gay guys can cause trouble for themselves just as much as straight guys... and it not be related to their sexuality.

And that post right there, and the ignorance within it, is why we still need a pride month.

The pride industry needs a pride month.

I’m just reading up on that attack and it’s just as likely they were beaten because they were foreign.

Do you honestly think the scumbags headed out in port Laois at night with hurls Incase they bumped into a gay? They were going to attack somebody

I have to agree. I just read the report as well.
    They were beaten because they were there.
    The fact that they were gay might be a little bonus for the scum that did it but was not the main reason.

I don't agree. Stop trying to be a victim.

I’m not a victim, I’m not gay, I’ve never been discriminated against because of my sexuality as a straight woman. But that doesn’t mean I’m not very aware that that discrimination exists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

erica74 wrote: »
    Do we really need another LGBT and Pride related thread? I think the annual quota has been used up already.

We need it, tomorrow is Gay Christmas, where's your festive queer cheer?

In all honestly, if I saw anyone abusing two lads for simply holding hands I'd love nothing more than to go over and smash their bigoted faces in. I'm glad society has moved on leaps and bounds but I'm not daft enough to think everything is all rosey either for gay peeps. I'd love the day that a major sports star being gay simply isn't really news.

On the other hand, one thing I will say is miss me what all that OTT stereotypical ''shut up bitch'' carry-on. That sh*t is parody level stuff and I've no time for it.

• Advertisement

So what are the issues facing yong gay people today?

Omackeral wrote: »
    We need it, tomorrow is Gay Christmas, where's your festive queer cheer?

In all honestly, if I saw anyone abusing two lads for simply holding hands I'd love nothing more than to go over and smash their bigoted faces in. I'm glad society has moved on leaps and bounds but I'm not daft enough to think everything is all rosey either for gay peeps. I'd love the day that a major sports star being gay simply isn't really news.

On the other hand, one thing I will say is miss me what all that OTT stereotypical ''shut up bitch'' carry-on. That sh*t is parody level stuff and I've no time for it.

For me a major sports star being gay isn't and should not be news.
    For a lot, maybe most, of the people, organisations, media pushing pride as a most important event it would be.
    That is the difference, for most of us, what you like to suck on, is none of our business and we just don't care.
    Being gay means only one thing and one thing only. You like cock.
    For everything else you are with the rest of us, some will find life easy, some will find it hard.
    Some will have great success, most will plod along like the most of the rest of us and some will fail, badly in some cases.

Watch the news report to which the OP refers. It's available on RTE iPlayer. You'll get to see what a gay bar looks like into the bargain not that is in any way relevant especially according to the OP. Although I'd issue a health warning - if you have an aversion to rainbow flags which I suspect you might - look away now. They have been known to cause epileptic fits in some folk.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Watch the news report to which the OP refers. It's available on RTE iPlayer. You'll get to see what a gay bar looks like into the bargain not that is in any way relevant especially according to the OP. Although I'd issue a health warning - if you have an aversion to rainbow flags which I suspect you might - look away now. They have been known to cause epileptic fits in some folk.

Ah I’m a homophobe now. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I dunno, they can't get a job in Topshop, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

A brick with a homophobic message attached thrown through the window of Panti bar just now. There are definitely still issues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PantiBliss/status/1012828435968905217?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

How about you stop commenting on issues you clearly know nothing about and realize your privilege?

How about you stop commenting on issues you clearly know nothing about and realize your privilege?

And what privilege would that be?

Ah jaysis is this a hashtag thing

• Advertisement

A brick with a homophobic message attached thrown through the window of Panti bar just now. There are definitely still issues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PantiBliss/status/1012828435968905217?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Seems made up to me

And what privilege would that be?

I really shouldn't have to explain that to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Logo

One of them is in Miami. The rest apart from one were probably just random attacks. There’s one about adoptin stuff where a couple adopted a baby and want to move here with him. It’s hardly martyr stuff.

Issues affecting primary school teachers would probably be more interesting
    Are you a Catholic Conservatory? I've met many claiming to be Catholic but very few are Christian. The most notorious homophobic attack from memory was Declan Flynn in 1982
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declan_Flynn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I hope I'm alive to see the day when we won't need ****ing parades or special days weeks or months to celebrate things that only apply to a certain amount of people yet everyone has to know and hear about it.

I really shouldn't have to explain that to you.

Well it looks like you are going to have to.
    It not that I am demanding it, it's just that you raised it you are going to have to expand on it.
    It's up to you, I can't order or make you do anything.

Brave lads. They won't be anywhere to be seen around that area on Saturday.

group-of-men-flex-their-muscles-as-the-participate-in-the-36th-annual-picture-id71294541?s=612x612

Logo wrote: »
    Are you a Catholic Conservatory? I've met many claiming to be Catholic but very few are Christian. The most notorious homophobic attack from memory was Declan Flynn in 1982
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declan_Flynn

I think organized religion should be outlawed. I will swear on the holy Noah ark to prove that I’m not religious or as has been mentioned earlier a homophobe.

The link from the above 1980s horrible attack on the fella in Fairview was from a time when young gay people had issues. It’s a fricking picnic nowadays for young gay people thanks to hero’s from that time. What’s annoying me here is the whining snowflakes trying to pretend there is an issue when there is very little of an issue. Sure the boss of the country is a gay man now.

If I was sitting down with my family 20 years ago and told my brother to not worry about being gay in a few years there will be a gay Taoiseach everybody in the local area would have been called in to laugh at me.

Well it looks like you are going to have to.
    It not that I am demanding it, it's just that you raised it you are going to have to expand on it.
    It's up to you, I can't order or make you do anything.

Well look I'll put it to you in a question, have you every been threatened or verbally abused for being heterosexual?

If the answer is no, then that is your privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh I don't think it was that bad in 2008..societal normalisation and acceptance really changed incredibly rapidly almost immediately around and after the referendum though, I remember my boyfriend and I if we were out together in public before the referendum a lot more people would stare and theres only been a handful of instances in ireland where anybody physically or verbally attacked us, and all happened before the referendum , could be just chance

I remember seeing other gay couples out in dublin before 2015 was still a bit of a novelty, you just see so many gay and lesbian couples now though, especially really young gay couples, I can't remember the last time anybody so much as glanced longer than usual at me and my boyfriend holding hands since the referendum tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Why the hate of gay people? Hardest people on the planet. Some strange posts on here.
    I was gonna post the transcript of this, but I know it would lose its meaning in text. So here is the video, watch it in full.

https://youtu.be/6xxiK6Z4eXs

• Advertisement
Advertisement