Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Campervans

• 30-06-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi so just need a bit of advice. We are going to buy a campervan but not sure where to start. We have budget of complete max of 14-15k. We have 3 young kids so would need a 6 berth but not sure should we purchase an older camper for far less or go to our max for a newer one. We will be mainly using the campervan for long weekends as my parents have a holiday home in Spain so will be using that for our 2 week family holiday so for this reason I think we should look for something older but my husband thinks we will just be buying problems but also thinks we will have the camper for a long time so something newer would be better. I'm. On the fence and not sure either way. Is there anything in particular ye think is important to look for? I ideally would like fixed buck beds but that's all I really know. Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Newer or older reg plates mean nothing as a guarantee of a good purchase.
    Buying a properly maintained vehicle from a reputable source is more important.

Vehicle service history is more important.

How mechanically knowledgeable is hubby??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sabrina murphy

My hubby is alot of things but mechanically mind he definitely isn't. Actually don't know anyone I would say is any good at that stuff. Is there any make/models we should avoid?

My hubby is alot of things but mechanically mind he definitely isn't. Actually don't know anyone I would say is any good at that stuff. Is there any make/models we should avoid?

Well you might well have answered your own question right there. If the hubby is not mechanically minded, then he is probably correct in his inclination that newer in this case may be the best option.

Unless of course you know a family or friend that has an older camper that has been properly serviced and looked after.

And as you will be using it for european travel, a left hander may well be the order of the day here. And from an accessibilty point of view to parts access in europe, should a breakdown occur, maybe point your choices to the makes most used for european travel.
    And as i dont travel any further than the edge of the pond anymore, hang on until some of the more travelled folk chime in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,486 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The way I read the OP was that the main holiday will be in Spain in the holiday home, and the camper will just be used for weekends in Ireland?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The way I read the OP was that the main holiday will be in Spain in the holiday home, and the camper will just be used for weekends in Ireland?

I think you are right there, my mistake. So a right hander then.

Sorry about that.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,486 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wonder would there be anything to be said for a caravan in the OPs case? Something that could be left somewhere during the summer.

Thanks for all your replies. Theres a really nice camper for sale and a v. Good price (might be too god to be true) but as you can see window damage on the two windows. Should we stay well clear or is worth having a look at? How much is it to get replaced? The camper is a long drive from us so don't want to go there if its a non runner. Any help/advice would be brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Cost depends on size and if they are standard size probably 200-500 for a medium to large standard size replacement panel. If its just the outer panel and not leaking internally you could stick some 3m weather tape or mylar sailtape on it and wait for one to show up on ebay. Mylar sail tape if it sticks may outlive the van. If it has been leaking internally then the broken windows are probably 1/20th of the repair bill.

Is the camper in wicklow by any chance.

Cost depends on size and if they are standard size probably 200-500 for a medium to large standard size replacement panel. If its just the outer panel and not leaking internally you could stick some 3m weather tape or mylar sailtape on it and wait for one to show up on ebay. Mylar sail tape if it sticks may outlive the van. If it has been leaking internally then the broken windows are probably 1/20th of the repair bill.

Then there is the labour on top of that to fit them,

kadman wrote: »
    Then there is the labour on top of that to fit them,

Camper is in Offaly. So basically for the 2 windows it could cost over a grand at least. I'm going today to buy a damp detector and maybe have a look at the camper at the weekend. Might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement

How do I know on viewing if its just the outer panel or if there's an internal leak?

How do I know on viewing if its just the outer panel or if there's an internal leak?

If you look at it side on you'll clearly see the crack on the outside, then look again on the inside move your head from left to right the parallax should tell you if its inside or outside. You also probably be able to feel it with your finger tips and catch it with your nail. If its been leaking on the inside it should be obvious, the wall will usually be discoloured, the lining may be delaminated and the wall when pressed may feel spongy.

You should also be aware that a 'damp meter' only measures the resistance or conductivity between the probes in this weather the surface will be dry so its not going to read anything useful. The probes would have to penetrate the wall to read anything useful and no-one is going to let you poke holes in their van. Even deep damp could be driven out with the scorcher we've had. Most people are just codding themselves when they use them.

Your eyes, your nose and your finger tips are the best tools. Look and smell in every corner, every cupboard, particularly around seams and entries like flue, roof light, windows etc. press and tap the lining.

Camper is in Offaly. So basically for the 2 windows it could cost over a grand at least. I'm going today to buy a damp detector and maybe have a look at the camper at the weekend. Might be worth a shot.

Damp meter in this instance is no use. Save your money.

Your eyes will tell more, or a thermal imaging camera, if you know how to
    read them.
    Discoloration is probably going to be the biggest visual sign of water damage.

Get someone who is knowledgeable here to check it for you. Buying a damp camper is a mega moneypit, so if in doubt, run.

Where in offaly is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Pay someone who may be knowledgeable about such things to thoroughly inspect it for you. Better than any damp meter. Take in what was said above and keep a look out/ for any repair that was carried out and by whom. Rusty screws inside the van is also a good indication of damp. Take your time before handing over hard earned cash on what could be a money pit. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your reply. We ended up not going for the camper with window damage. With our inexperience couldn't take the chance. We are on our way to see a Hymer 2004 so fingers crossed.

Thank you all so much for your reply. We ended up not going for the camper with window damage. With our inexperience couldn't take the chance. We are on our way to see a Hymer 2004 so fingers crossed.

Good luck. Remember a current DOE cert only means the camper meets the basic mechanical requirements to be roadworthy.

The habitation area of the camper and components and fittings are not checked and is not part of the test.
    So you need to have someone to check this area for you.

Unfortunately we have no one we can bring with us to look at the camper. We took a few photos of one or two things worrying us. We saw some black spots on the fly screens and a crack on the shower tray. Are these things to worry about or are they easily fixed? Any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And another thing to consider, watch out for motorhomes weighting over 3500 kg. You won't be able to drive them without the Truck licence.
    A 6 berth could be running very close to this weight if not exceeding it.

Bulges and ripples in the side sheeting, as you look down the length of the bodywork is another warning sign of damp, where the aluminium sheeting has separated from damp/rotten plywood in the walls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement