Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People determining when mental illnesses exist or not

• 30-06-2018 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

Anyone else realize this? A bit ridiculous no. You see it here on boards and everyone on the internet.

Depression/ADHD = "They're just lazy/selfish. Most mental illnesses are excuses and don't exist."

Want to change some part of your body or have liberal lives = "Mate, your f*cking mentally ill period."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

That sounds like the ramblings of a man who needs a good nights sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Wanting to change part of your body used to be designated a mental illness. Then it wasn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Wanting to change part of your body used to be designated a mental illness. Then it wasn’t.

Humans, the only species that simultaneously practices the 'mutually exclusive' principle and constantly backtracks on said principle to suit their needs. Gimme an effing ice age already (we're way overdue one as it is) and bring us down to critically endangered status, if not then full blown extinction. So out of touch and far from reality that there's no way back. Hell forget waiting for the ice age, gimme a red button and I'll do it.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Humans, the only species that simultaneously practices the 'mutually exclusive' principle and constantly backtracks on said principle to suit their needs. Gimme an effing ice age already (we're way overdue one as it is) and bring us down to critically endangered status, if not then full blown extinction. So out of touch and far from reality that there's no way back. Hell forget waiting for the ice age, gimme a red button and I'll do it.

Have you been up all night with the op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Have you been up all night with the op?

Case in point.

• Advertisement

Case in point.

Objection overruled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone else realize this? A bit ridiculous no. You see it here on boards and everyone on the internet.

Depression/ADHD = "They're just lazy/selfish. Most mental illnesses are excuses and don't exist."

Want to change some part of your body or have liberal lives = "Mate, your f*cking mentally ill period."

It's a lack of compassion and understanding mixed with survivorship bias.

People who say, "just stop doing X, I did Y and it fixed it for me" are being unhelpful and exacerbating the problem.

People's mental illnesses are complex and personal and if someone is suffering from something, the last thing someone should do is be dismissive or start lecturing them on some new fad that worked for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's okay, the zombie apocalypse is on the way as we speak

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-biotech-company-has-been-given-permission-to-try-and-bring-dead-brains-back-to-life
    In a controversial move, a US biotechnology company has been given permission to recruit 20 clinically dead patients and try to bring their central nervous system back to life.

I’ve read the op 14 times. I think what you are trying to say is internet people change their stance on topics to suit themselves.

I think people get angry go on the internet and try to say mean things when they have esteem issues. Real life is all that really matters Nigel just do what makes you healthy and happy. Feck the begrudgers. They just want to begrudge something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

OP have ya not got getting kicked out your gaff to worry bout no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP have ya not got getting kicked out your gaff to worry bout no?

Appropriate username for the topic of people being depressed

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Appropriate username for the topic of people being depressed

;)

Listening to enough of The Smiths could push the weakest of people over the edge. Or give the stronger ones more ammunition in life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's just examples of ignorance. "If I can't see it, don't have it or any experience of it, then it doesn't exist!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Some can be mislabelled.

For instance here’s Gary Numan suffering nothing more than a mild bout of sheldon syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Some can be mislabelled.

For instance here’s Gary Numan suffering nothing more than a mild bout of sheldon syndrome

What's Sheldon Syndrome? I know you're refering to the character in the Big Bang Theory, but specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Yes, specifically

he is clearly most definitely not a free man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Yes, specifically

he is clearly most definitely not a free man.

Well, none of us are free...

Well, none of us are free...

What do you charge?

I'll buy ya a bag of chips afterwards. :pac:

What do you charge?

I'll buy ya a bag of chips afterwards. :pac:

Throw in a spice burger and you have yourself a deal.

• Advertisement

Throw in a spice burger and you have yourself a deal.

PM Sent :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's just examples of ignorance. "If I can't see it, don't have it or any experience of it, then it doesn't exist!"

I'm not so sure about that.

We live in an age of extreme narcissism. People are in constant attention seeking mode and often their favorite pastime is informing anyone who will listen about their illnesses and conditions.....both real and imaginary.

I know plenty of people who partake in their own game of "Depression Olympics" where lines such as "Like, omg I was so depressed after my fake tan went bad that I nearly ate a whole milk tray on my own. What am I like? lol. I'm so more depressed than you..." are commonplace.

I have no time for that sh*te and it's everywhere these days.

And the less said about this current ADHD epidemic the better. My best friend was diagnosed with it back when it was first becoming a thing and he would tell you himself it was bullsh*t and he went along with it because it made school-life easier.

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that.

We live in an age of extreme narcissism. People are in constant attention seeking mode and often their favorite pastime is informing anyone who will listen about their illnesses and conditions.....both real and imaginary.

I know plenty of people who partake in their own game of "Depression Olympics" where lines such as "Like, omg I was so depressed after my fake tan went bad that I nearly ate a whole milk tray on my own. What am I like? lol. I'm so more depressed than you..." are commonplace.

I have no time for that sh*te and it's everywhere these days.

And the less said about this current ADHD epidemic the better. My best friend was diagnosed with it and he would tell you himself it was bullsh*t and he went along with it because it made school-life easier.

There's a bit of a difference here - claiming that a particular person doesn't have said condition and is attention-seeking is not the same as claiming that the condition doesn't exist in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There's a bit of a difference here - claiming that a particular person doesn't have said condition and is attention-seeking is not the same as claiming that the condition doesn't exist in the first place.

Not really. If you call somebody out for acting the maggot, it's the first thing they fire back....they accuse of you of denying the condition exists. It's the go to defence.

Depression and ADHD surely do exist. There is evidence to prove it. However I'd say less than 20% of the people who claim to have either....actually suffer with it.

You just have to browse Facebook or instagram for five minutes to realise how up themselves this generation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not really. If you call somebody out for acting the maggot, it's the first thing they fire back....they accuse of you of denying the condition exists. It's the go to defence.

Depression and ADHD surely do exist. There is evidence to prove it. However I'd say less than 20% of the people who claim to have either....actually suffer with it.

You just have to browse Facebook or instagram for five minutes to realise how up themselves this generation is.

Given though how often GPs say we have depression etc when we don't,this is understandable .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Oppositional defiance disorder

Some school kids have it. On Joe Duffy show a little bollox who regularly attacked classmates and got suspended was banned from the school tour as he would wreck the day. The parent raised holy hell over their little darling and how they were excluded.

I don’t know when ODD was introduced. I must be old as it didn’t exist when I was in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

mikemac2 wrote: »

Some school kids have it. On Joe Duffy show a little bollox who regularly attacked classmates and got suspended was banned from the school tour as he would wreck the day. The parent raised holy hell over their little darling and how they were excluded.

I don’t know when ODD was introduced. I must be old as it didn’t exist when I was in school

I thought you were taking the piss till I googled that.

Jesus people would really want to start copping the fluck on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

mikemac2 wrote: »

That's because back in the day, it was called being a disruptive little bollox and would have resulted in the teacher giving a clip around the ear and telling the little fecker to stfu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people have real disorders
    Some people think they have disorders but they don't
    Some people exaggerate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And it's always people who can determine whether you have a disorder or not. Usually people whose name starts with "Doctor".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

We really don’t know anything about the brain. Neuro science is in its infancy.

The other thing about ADHD, is it’s a situation where pills are given to a child without consent - not because of what the child wants but because of what adults in authority want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"I have to have all my cushions arranged right on my sofa or I will FREAK OUT, I'm like soooo OCD"

Fair enough then, if that's what the OP meant.

But there are people who firmly believe that ADHD doesn't exist and that every report of it is purely down to parents being lazy. Some undoubtedly are, but to me it's equally lazy for someone to proclaim that it doesn't exist, wag their finger and walk away.

biko wrote: »

Which in itself can be a disorder, so then they do have a disorder, just not the one they think they have

:D

biko wrote: »
    Some people have real disorders
    Some people exaggerate

I have one and only one disorder.

It's the irrational belief that I am disorder free.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In ADHD patients the treatment confirms or disproves the diagnosis. The treatment up until fairly recently was Ritalin. Give Ritalin to just your average little bollox and they get worse, not better - Ritalin is a stimulant. If they calm down then it's some sort of ADHD related issue. It's a myth that there is some movement to just medicate being a child out of children.

As for depression, anti depressants don't make you happy and most when given to someone feigning depression will have no effect other than some pretty horrible side effects. I expect the number of people who have depression is a lot higher than 20% of those claiming to, although it may not necessarily be someone complaining.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

II expect the number of people who have depression is a lot higher than 20% of those claiming to,
    Wait.. what? You think (damned near)over a quarter of people are suffering from a mental illness like depression? What the actual... 20% is a crazy percentage as is, higher than that, "a lot higher" makes no sense. Why would an otherwise healthy population have such a percentage of illness, one that can often kill and certainly can cripple people. What reasoning could you begin to give for that belief?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wait.. what? You think (damned near)over a quarter of people are suffering from a mental illness like depression? What the actual... 20% is a crazy percentage as is, higher than that, "a lot higher" makes no sense. Why would an otherwise healthy population have such a percentage of illness, one that can often kill and certainly can cripple people. What reasoning could you begin to give for that belief?

Maybe I'm reading this all wrong (oh great wise one) but here's my interpretation of it :

Kirby said this :

To which Sam replied :
    I expect the number of people who have depression is a lot higher than 20% of those claiming to, although it may not necessarily be someone complaining.

I'd have to agree with Sam, I do absolutely agree that not everybody who claims to have depression actually would be diagnosed (by a properly invested professional, not sure I count a lot of the HSE under this) as having depression. But I certainly think that number is a lot higher than 20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks Wexie that's it exactly, however mental illness is thought to effect 1 in 4 people at some point in their life.

http://www.who.int/whr/2001/media_centre/press_release/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

‘Identified mental disorders in older adults in primary care: A cross-sectional database study’,

74,261 patients [in Ireland ] aged over 55 years were identified, of whom 14,143 had a mental health disorder (prevalence rate of 19.1%).

There was considerable variation between practices (range: 3.7–38.9%), with a median prevalence of 23.1%.

Prevalence increased with age, from 14.8% at 55–59 years to 28.9% at 80–84 years.

Most common disorders were depression (17.1%), panic/anxiety (11.3%), cognitive (5.6%), alcohol (3.8%) and substance use (3.8%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

It's a term mostly without scientific meaning. There are societies that would consider you mentally ill for not consuming the brains of your dead relatives. Their definition has the same validity as anything you will find in a psychologist's manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

isn't it one in 4 will experience clinical depression or anxiety at some point in their lives? I believe that in any year about 7% of the population are experiencing depression.

And depression/anxiety doesn't always lead to suicide. the percentage who do is quite small. So it's not a trait that would breed itself out.

The fact is that mental illnesses are common.

people may say that there are far to many that think they are ill who aren't but it's probably the otherway around. There are probably loads who never actually think they're ill until it gets really really bad.

Grayson wrote: »
    people may say that there are far to many that think they are ill who aren't but it's probably the otherway around. There are probably loads who never actually think they're ill until it gets really really bad.

I guess really it depends on how you define mental illness.

There are a few important points to note here.

First of all mental health issue doesn't always mean psychiatric illness. They are very different things with very different treatments. Mental health issues such as depression or anxiety (even some personality disorders) can be treated with therapies such as CBT, DBT, mindfulness and a range of other things. A lot of the time this revolves around developing new coping mechanisms or just learning to look at things in a different way. Psychiatric illnesses on the other hand are actual malfunctions in the brain, they can't be cured as such although they can certainly be managed (sometimes) with medication and therapy.

What it boils down to (or at least this is how it was explained to me) is whether or not a diagnosis has a 'temporal validity'. If you have depression then there is a good chance that if you come back 10 years later, with the right treatment, you might no longer have depression or be diagnosed as such. If you have bipolar disorder now, you will still have bipolar disorder 10 years from now.

So while I absolutely believe 1 in 4 of us (and like you I believe this number to be higher, certainly when it comes to depression and anxiety) may deal with a mental health issue at some stage in our lives, the number of people presenting with psychiatric illnesses is far lower.

Nermal wrote: »
    It's a term mostly without scientific meaning. There are societies that would consider you mentally ill for not consuming the brains of your dead relatives. Their definition has the same validity as anything you will find in a psychologist's manual.

Where's that?

Advertisement