Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Formats

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭emo72

Well I ripped everything to flac, and store it on my pc. Then I can access it anywhere with Google music. I also have a pi linked to my pc and use rune audio as a controller. So that's everything covered I guess for free.

Edit.. sorry I have a pi linked to my hifi, pi to dac. It does a the decoding then on to amp, it's brilliant. I use an audiolab M1 dac so it's fairly decent. But the magic is the file quality. No flac, no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mattcullen

Wow, I feel like I've just stepped out of the 90's!! Not familiar with any of the terminology 'Pi', 'AVR' etc.

Like some of the other posters here I struggle with the idea of paying for a streaming service. Maybe it's nostalgic but I like the idea of owning my music. I'm coming round to the idea that it doesn't have to be in a physical format but I still would like it to be mine.

Let's say I rip my CDs to FLAC and use plex or some such to organise my files and play my music, what are my options in terms of amps etc.? My current set up is an old technics amp, cd player, wonky belt drive turntable which needs replacing, decent speaker cable and decent but budget bookshelf speakers ('Tannoy f1 Mercurys' I think).

If I rip all my CDs to a drive and play on laptop for example,do I need to ditch the amp? I've connected my laptop to the amp before using the headphone jack and a red and white on the amp end but it sounded awful (listening to music from i tunes playlists)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There is tons of hardware available that means you can keep the existing setup.
    You just need a media server that makes the files available over the network (that's why Raspberry Pi was mentioned, a credit card sized computer) and something that can receive the music.
    In my living room my telly can pick up media files (I also have a few hundred movies on the Pi) and in the kitchen for a bit of fun I used a 1970 ITT stereo to which I hooked up an old Samsung S3 mobile phone and it functions as internet radio and mp3 player.

The second aux in on the kitchen stereo will soon be equipped with a Bluetooth receiver so it works as a Bluetooth speaker.
    You get these for little money on Amazon and eBay.
    The advantage of purchasing one of these is that you get to keep the old hardware and speakers which is miles superior to the new plastic crap with tinny little speakers you get today.
    That way you can build a system that us compatible with digital for absolute buttons. Something of similar quality would cost north of a grand if you bought Bose or some other hyped up nonsense.

Maybe get a Pi (or something ready made, a Pi needs some fiddling) and a tablet to hook up to your stereo. The tablet can play your mp3 and whatever streaming service you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Absolutely not. At 44100 kHz, 16 bits still superior to mp3 or streaming (which is mostly 128 kbits), so no reason to chuck them.

You'll notice the difference on Tidal Masters which is 96,000 kHz, 24 bit.

The big plus with streaming is discovering new music though. And new albums available to play within a second of their release.
    I find that a bit of a "man down the pub told me" myth. Vinyl has a terrible signal to noise ratio compared to CDs. People go on about the "warm, analog sound", but nobody knows that that comes from the analog master tape. You can digitise an old master tape and it will sound stunning. You can take some new, mostly digital music and slam it on vinyl and it will sound terrible.
    Besides, modern vinyl is most likely a digital file scratched into a master anyway. At the end of the day it's a generational copy that adds hiss, crackle, pops and signal degradation.
    So, the best sound available is an analog magnetic master tape. Very, very good, but hugely impractical on the move. :D

Nah its not a myth. I'm obviously referring to good quality pressings and from the analogue masters where possible. Not shítty digital to vinyl rip offs like in the 90s.

Vinyl can't be replicated via a digital source. Particularly with any instrument that uses air - sax, trumpets etc. Digital just doesn't capture it.

Although I do have a copy of Appetite for Destruction that sounds like I'm spinning an empty packet of Monster Munch on the turntable.

Nice little hobby though. Wandering about record fairs picking up bargains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I do love my old vinyl. I have about 200 records in wouldn't trade for the world. Hot Buttered Soul, Rubber Soul and Book of Taliesyn (Deep Purple) sound absolutely great on vinyl. I turned those albums into mp3s for the car and they still sound great.
    But there is a consistent myth that "vinyl makes the sound warm" and that is the misconception.
    If vinyl altered the sound in such a way, besides adding noise, it would be a terrible medium.
    What gives the analog sound is the use of proper instruments, amps with valves, analog mixing desk and the most important thing of them all: analog magnetic tape. Look up tape bias.
    There are many albums recorded in the 80's and 90's that sound like a bucket of sick being emptied into a toilet. The vinyl does nothing.
    The reason that a lot of albums from the time sound sh*te is because bands recorded almost entirely electronic on cheap instruments and in a hurry whilst stoned and analog tape was dumped in favour of DAT.
    But if you got a CD of a properly recorded album from the 60's and 70's and it's one of the better remasters, it can sound great.
    Kraftwek is a good case in point. I have a remaster of Man Machine on CD and The Robots absolutely rocks. Blows your brains out.
    It never sounded that good in the original vinyl.
    Queen 1 and 2 are terrible sounding vinyls, infinitely inferior to the CD release.
    Old vinyl can sound terrible.
    Very new vinyl sounds great in comparison, but that's more the remaster rather than the vinyl somehow taking the sound and magically making it better. Well, I'd have to get a CD version of Axis Bold as Love and compare to my 180 gramm vinyl. I doubt the CD will sound terrible in comparison.
    CDs got a bad rep because of crappy 80's and 90's releases and the loudness wars, but vinyl from that era doesn't fare much letter. Many cheap and hasty pressings.
    You can get great sound from both, there are so many variables and each can also be sh*tty.
    But I would never say one is ALWAYS better than the other.
    What I think, all analog recording equipment and tape is the most important thing for that "warm" sound and for end use digital is great.
    Actually, want to try out magnetic tape sound without spending thousand on a reel to reel setup?
    Get a good NICAM VCR, hook it up like a tape deck and record some sound.
    These things had stonking great audio quality. They were never appreciated. Important, they have to record the audio on the video section and not with linear heads.
    Quality wise, they blow my reel to reel into the middle of next week.
    I could talk about this stuff for hours. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Sounds right up my street, pity I will be away on holidays.

Thought a few of you guys on this thread would be interested

"from July 19th to 28th at the Hennessy Sound Lounge, music lovers and the culturally curious will have the chance to meet with seven of Ireland’s most avid vinyl collectors, delve a little deeper into their collections, listen to some of their favourite tracks and hear about their lives in the music industry."

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2018/0711/978016-handcrafting-the-perfect-sound-system/

Folks, can someone explain to me what the raspberry pi is? I’ve tried some google searches but most of the threads or articles I’ve come across assume the reader already knows? Do you store the music on the Pi like a hard drive? Is it attached to the computer or to the DAC?

I’m planning on ripping the CDs to FLAC using a free online converted if available, using a program to organise and play the music (I think someone mentioned ‘Ruin’) and getting a DAC for my amp. Just don’t understand what the Raspberry Pi is for?

The raspberry pi is just pc in miniature. I have one or 2 for specific jobs. They are only about 20 euro. One of them is just used as a music player. I have installed a basic os on it and it runs rune audio for me.

Also all my files are stored on 1 terabyte hard drives, which connect to the pi via USB. Then the pi is connected to a dac via USB. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

emo72 wrote: »
    Also all my files are stored on 1 terabyte hard drives, which connect to the pi via USB. Then the pi is connected to a dac via USB. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Ah cool, so no pc required. how do you view files / select tracks etc? surely there's a device in the mix?

• Advertisement

mattcullen wrote: »
    Ah cool, so no pc required. how do you view files / select tracks etc? surely there's a device in the mix?

You put the rune audio app on your phone, tablet, laptop, and control it all from there.

You put the rune audio app on your phone, tablet, laptop, and control it all from there.

Sounds good, cheers for taking the time to reply.
    SO, this do https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Model-Quad-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92

Any recommendations for a DAC?

My set up is an old technics amp and tannoy f1 mercury bookshelf speakers

yeah, that pi is fine. they'll all work in fairness.

DACs are all different prices i have an audiolab mdac. but have a look at hifihut.ie they are good lads.

yeah, that pi is fine. they'll all work in fairness.

DACs are all different prices i have an audiolab mdac. but have a look at hifihut.ie they are good lads.

Fair play, thanks again

By way of an update, got a gift of an unwanted Sonos Connect from someone, connected it to my amp and speakers. Playing Spotify premium through it sounds very good. Ripped a CD to FLAC and compared it against the spotify version and to my ears there’s no real difference. Seems a good option cause can now also add Sonos wireless speakers to other rooms but have the benefit of the hi-fi in the main room. Apparently you can also run the CD and turntable into the Connect to play them wirelessly through Sonos speakers elsewhere in the house but I don’t know if there’s much benefit in that.

I did notice that there is a very very slight distortion between songs using the Connect where there is none from the CD player whatsoever but you would need to be right up against the speaker for it to be audible or have the volume set very high on the amp. No idea why it’s there on the Connect and not the CD player.

Anyway - all in all -very happy with the Connect, so just thought I’d throw it out there as an option in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Advertisement