Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to British Passport

Options
  • 30-06-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me determine if I am entitled to claim a British passport, below are the details:

- I was born and live in the Republic of Ireland, in 1984.
    - My mother was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland n 1963.
    - My Father was born in the Republic.

From my current research on the topic I can see that if I was born outside UK after 1983 to a British Citizen Mother - then i would qualify.

Can anyone with appropriate knowledge confirm my eligibility?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yes, it might well help if you mother claims a British passport if she has not done so already. You would not need to apply for citizenship you would just need to apply and pay for a British Passport providing them with whatever details they request, Mother's Birth Cert, Mother's British Passport, Parent's wedding Certificate, your Birth Cert would be the length of it I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kuyashi

Inquitus wrote:
    Yes, it might well help if you mother claims a British passport if she has not done so already. You would not need to apply for citizenship you would just need to apply ad pay for a British Passport providing them with whatever details they request, Mother's Birth Cert, Mother's British Passport, Parent's wedding Certificate, your Birth Cert would be the length of it I expect.

Ok, thanks so much for your advice.
    I don't think she has held a British passport, would this preclude or would she still be considered a "British citizen" at the time of my birth as she was born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Kuyashi wrote: »
    Ok, thanks so much for your advice.
    I don't think she has held a British passport, would this preclude or would she still be considered a "British citizen" at the time of my birth as she was born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland ?

Your mother is a British citizen so you are too. Apply now on line it’s quite easy. You should do this before Brexit as they will probably start making it a little more complicated for obvious reasons

splinter65 wrote:
    Your mother is a British citizen so you are too. Apply now on line it’s quite easy. You should do this before Brexit as they will probably start making it a little more complicated for obvious reasons

Thanks.
    I understand people born in NI are entitled to either citizenship or dual, but if she has never claimed a British passport is her British citizenship intact/active?
    RE: Brexit - yes, that is my main motivation regarding career and travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The CTA is supposed to remain in place after Brexit, so if you have an Irish passport you will automatically be entitled to stay, live, travel and work in the UK anyways, I am not sure getting a British passport would add anything at this juncture.

• Advertisement

Kuyashi wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I understand people born in NI are entitled to either citizenship or dual, but if she has never claimed a British passport is her British citizenship intact/active?
    RE: Brexit - yes, that is my main motivation regarding career and travel etc.
    She doesn’t need to keep her British citizenship “active” by applying for a passport. Millions of people don’t ever apply for passports. That doesn’t mean your citizenship is rescinded or disappears or anything like that.
    That would be ludicrous.
    She’s a British citizen and you can claim British citizenship luckily because of that.
    Your making things very complicated in your head for some reason.
    Do you think that Irish people who don’t apply for Irish passports cease to be Irish citizens too?
    The easiest most straightforward thing for you to do is go on line and apply for a passport. You need her birth cert among other things.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The CTA is supposed to remain in place after Brexit, so if you have an Irish passport you will automatically be entitled to stay, live, travel and work in the UK anyways, I am not sure getting a British passport would add anything at this juncture.

Some landlords in the Sth East of England are only renting to people with British passports because the government have told them that they are responsible for ensuring that they only let to legal immigrants. British passport is the easiest way to establish this.
    It’s no harm to have one if your entitled to one and thinking about living in England

splinter65 wrote:
    She doesn’t need to keep her British citizenship “active†by applying for a passport. Millions of people don’t ever apply for passports. That doesn’t mean your citizenship is rescinded or disappears or anything like that. That would be ludicrous. She’s a British citizen and you can claim British citizenship luckily because of that. Your making things very complicated in your head for some reason. Do you think that Irish people who don’t apply for Irish passports cease to be Irish citizens too? The easiest most straightforward thing for you to do is go on line and apply for a passport. You need her birth cert among other things.

I see. I'm not deliberately trying to complicate anything, I was simply looking for clarification and information pertaining to dual nationality availability for NI nationals as stated on the gov.uk website.
    Thanks for your reply

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement