Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coin shrapnel

• 30-06-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭

I am just at that point of house moving where I have gathered accumulated stashes of money.

Not valuable money; small current coins, old Punt money, oddments of French, American and UK money. All mixed up together in a manky tin full I have no intention of sorting out.

The serious coinage got put together and bagged and netted nearly €80, but this is just furrin shrapnel. Just occurs to me I could give it to a charity shop, let someone else sort it out!

Any better use I could put it to? (The tin-full would make a fine doorstop).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

looksee wrote: »
    I am just at that point of house moving where I have gathered accumulated stashes of money.

Not valuable money; small current coins, old Punt money, oddments of French, American and UK money. All mixed up together in a manky tin full I have no intention of sorting out.

The serious coinage got put together and bagged and netted nearly €80, but this is just furrin shrapnel. Just occurs to me I could give it to a charity shop, let someone else sort it out!

Any better use I could put it to? (The tin-full would make a fine doorstop).

Go to mass and put it in the poor box

Either that or a dusting of coke and some old manky hooker. You get what you pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I can't even move this fúcker to one of those counting machines

https://i.imgur.com/uFA0WtQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Throw it in the counting machine. It'll take 12% but guaranteed your time is worth more than 12% of a few measly euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There used be collecting boxes (airports/ supermarkets) you could put mixed coin into but I haven't seen one in years, it must have got unprofitable to sort them.

Edit: I'd be afraid a counting machine would throw all the foreign stuff back at me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Smelt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Put them on rail tracks

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Hold a competition to see what the value of the coinage is. Let the winner collect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Smelt it

It smells of copper and unwashed underwear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

give it to your local primary school. They can use it for fundraising and also get sweatshop labour from the kids to sort it out and pretend it's a maths lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Akrasia wrote: »
    give it to your local primary school. They can use it for fundraising and also get sweatshop labour from the kids to sort it out and pretend it's a maths lesson.

Ooohhhh i like your child labour approach and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Melt it down and make copper ingots /bars. BEAUTIFUL.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Throw it in the counting machine. It'll take 12% but guaranteed your time is worth more than 12% of a few measly euro.
    LOL

Every counting machine I've ever seen has been within a few meters of a self-service checkout that gives you 100% of the value.

And there is the warm fuzzy feeling that you aren't subsidising that business model that preys on the uninformed or lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

After Hours treasure hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

LOL

Every counting machine I've ever seen has been within a few meters of a self-service checkout that gives you 100% of the value.

And there is the warm fuzzy feeling that you aren't subsidising that business model that preys on the uninformed or lazy.

Have you tried putting hundreds of coins into them at a time? I’ll save you the hassle...they won’t take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

As an amutuer coin collector , I would seriously advise you to examine your coins of particular interest nowadays are English Euro coins .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Bury your stash in a durable pot in a deep hole with some cryptic runes carved in wood or better still chiselled on metal, add some animal bones, an intact skull of a wild creature preferably, burnt charcoal, plastic beads, and if possible a small papyrus scroll covered in an invented language, and then spend the rest of your days quietly happy that some day a thousand years hence you may utterly confound a troop of archaeologists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Have an eighties wedding and do a grushie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

LOL

Hah good luck! Those things only take 1 coin at a time. Not a chance am I going to spend 20 minutes hand feeding a shopping bag of pennies into that machine just to save a few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I like the idea of burying the stash (and other stuff), and it would fit nicely into current plans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Drive slowly through Cavan, fecking them out the window at regular intervals and watch the locals lose their shit over them

Videotape the carnage, put it on youtube and you'll turn a nice profit from the views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hah good luck! Those things only take 1 coin at a time. Not a chance am I going to spend 20 minutes hand feeding a shopping bag of pennies into that machine just to save a few euro.

You don't have to. Just put in a dozen or so every time you go shopping. It will be no harder than hoarding them in the first place.

Advertisement