Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donate or recycle old bike Dublin

Options
  • 30-06-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Is anyone aware of where in Dublin one can donate or recycle an old bike, particularly if it benefited a good cause/charity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Rothar.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rothar don't take in old bikes anymore AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks folks. I did recall Rothar taking donations but couldn't find any current info about it on their site. Will try get onto them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 soghluaiste

Balyogan recycling centre also takes old bikes as far as I know...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

possibly just for the metal! who takes them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I just put an add up on the adverts thread here for my Trek (for free), without wheels, was snapped up and i hope the new owner gets great wear out of it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107281798

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Balyogan recycling centre also takes old bikes as far as I know...

Ballyogan have stopped taking them, now they go into the metal recycling bin.

as they were explaining to me in the ballymun rediscovery centre, they were overflowing with bikes and a lot were not worth restoring.
    especially heavy old 'mountain bikes' with suspension forks where everything was rusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,063 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You could try this method (skip to 1.15)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Thanks very much all for the suggestions. Yeh it does seem like a lot of previous places have stopped now. I've filled out the form on cycle-it so will see if there's any response (no recent activity on their pages). I'd definitely welcome any other suggestions in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd like to know too. Have two old bikes in the shed that haven't been used for over 15 years and they're just in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Alun wrote: »
    I'd like to know too. Have two old bikes in the shed that haven't been used for over 15 years and they're just in the way.

Pop anything up for free on Adverts.ie and it’ll be snapped up in no time, and I mean anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Try freecycle, https://groups.freecycle.org/group/DublinIE/posts/all Not specific to bikes, but I've had various bits and bobs re-homed this way, including three older kids bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

how.gareth wrote: »
    Pop anything up for free on Adverts.ie and it’ll be snapped up in no time, and I mean anything!

That is a fact. Yet try to sell something for €2 and you will never shift it.

Advertisement