Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote from electrician

Options
  • 30-06-2018 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Got a quote from an electrician to pull some cables through. Job is labour only, I'm supplying the cables.

I asked him for breakdown because I thought it seemed a bit much. His breakdown worked out at €70 per hour ex.VAT. That's the breakdown from him on paper.

Any thoughts on that rate?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

Doesn't matter how menial the job is. You are taking his professional time. It costs fuel and customer time to be with you. It's a fair rate and might actually be priced to force you to get a laborer/someone else.

Visit your doctor and it's €60 for a 10 minute visit regardless of how simple the problem may be. It's a professional charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Thanks Damien360.

I didn't say the job was menial. I know if I have a spark on site I'm paying him or her a rate whether they are wiring in a UPS or pulling cables.

I am asking if €70 per hour ex.VAT is on the low, mid or high side. I think I know what you feel by saying he might be forcing me to use somebody else.

Doctor's fee is completely irrelevant.

BTW, the spark is already on site doing a different job and will be for weeks yet. This job will be worked around down time while already on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Compare it to what you would pay a solicitor or physiotherapist or a shrink, the man is a professional, pony up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€70 / hr is expensive .Nothing to say he isn't getting it though if only doing private small jobs and getting 3 or 4 a day .Would be hard to get if working as a sub-contractor for someone on a regular basis .Current subbies rate is €40 / hr in Dublin.I have this price from 4 sub -contractors we use on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

More Music wrote: »
    Thanks Damien360.

I didn't say the job was menial. I know if I have a spark on site I'm paying him or her a rate whether they are wiring in a UPS or pulling cables.

I am asking if €70 per hour ex.VAT is on the low, mid or high side. I think I know what you feel by saying he might be forcing me to use somebody else.

Doctor's fee is completely irrelevant.

BTW, the spark is already on site doing a different job and will be for weeks yet. This job will be worked around down time while already on site.
    What do you mean by down time
    Is the sparks directly employed by you or a sub contractor.
    If he's a sub contractor there's no such thing as down time they're off to another job once your project stage is completed.
    Down time would mean sitting in the van while waiting for something to be prepared for them and getting paid for waiting also

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    €70 / hr is expensive .Nothing to say he isn't getting it though if only doing private small jobs and getting 3 or 4 a day .Would be hard to get if working as a sub-contractor for someone on a regular basis .Current subbies rate is €40 / hr in Dublin.I have this price from 4 sub -contractors we use on a regular basis.

Prick

Read my post you prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Compare it to what you would pay a solicitor or physiotherapist or a shrink, the man is a professional, pony up.

I'm not saying he isn't professional, worth it or not. I'm asking if €70 per hour for a spark is on the low, mid or high side. What's with the comparisions to other jobs. I'm not on here saying he isn't skilled or doesn't have to supply tools etc.

Let me put it another way, what's a reasonable rate for a spark per hour outside of Dublin.

I've been "ponying up" for many years and have no problem doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Prick

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Yes it’s fair if you want a taxed insured and qualified sparks. If you want Anto from the local you’d probably get it for a score an hour but you won’t be insured and anto is likely to do his back in and claim you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

70 is grand, there is a difference between a guy running a business with overheads and a subbie on a site. The reality is he needs to make good money on extras as he probably priced the original job quite tight and is using extras to get some profit out of the job.

Read my post you prick.

So you think a sparks is Of a similar professional capacity as a solicitor or shrink? .
    Although given your educated response to my opinion which is based on fact , I doubt anyone would put much value on what you think.

So you think a sparks is Of a similar professional capacity as a solicitor or shrink? .
    Although given your educated response to my opinion which is based on fact , I doubt anyone would put much value on what you think.

Why wouldn’t he be? You think because he wears a suit and sits at a desk he should get more money?

Sitting at a desk and wearing a suit has nothing to do with it . A manual tradesperson is not a similar profession as a third level educated career path and does not demand the same hourly reward. there is no comparison. An engineer, Contracts manager , QS etc . yes I would say they a comparable careers .Im not saying either is better but you can’t say look how much a doctor charges so as a sparks Ill charge the same .
    What an established electrical services company charges is a totally different debate but a sparks working on site and asked to do a few extras and charging €70 / hr is not the current market rate

Sitting at a desk and wearing a suit has nothing to do with it . A manual tradesperson is not a similar profession as a third level educated career path and does not demand the same hourly reward. there is no comparison. An engineer, Contracts manager , QS etc . yes I would say they a comparable careers .Im not saying either is better but you can’t say look how much a doctor charges so as a sparks Ill charge the same .
    What an established electrical services company charges is a totally different debate but a sparks working on site and asked to do a few extras and charging €70 / hr is not the current market rate

You have no idea how much training sparks and plumbers have do you?

You think they just wire lights. A solicitor isn’t even trained or insured to put a ladder against a wall.
    A basic electrician goes to school for 4 years then does a course on pretty much every piece of machinery he is trained to use. A plumber could if he needed to dig copper from the ground and turn it into a heating system.
    A solicitor or accountant just read a few books and learned some stuff off by heart. If he changed his own lightbulb and the boss caught him he’d probably get a warning for risking the company insurance for getting up a ladder.
    It really is hilarious lads with a bit of college thinking they are a foot higher than anybody else. I’d probably make more in a weekend doing a few nixers than you make in a week.

Let that settle in.

Taxi men probably make what you make profit in 20 hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What a bizarre thread.

I'm struggling to see how salaries in completely unrelated professions like medicine or law have any influence at all on the market rates someone would expect to pay an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

You think they just wire lights. A solicitor isn’t even trained or insured to put a ladder against a wall.
    A basic electrician goes to school for 4 years then does a course on pretty much every piece of machinery he is trained to use. A plumber could if he needed to dig copper from the ground and turn it into a heating system.
    A solicitor or accountant just read a few books and learned some stuff off by heart. If he changed his own lightbulb and the boss caught him he’d probably get a warning for risking the company insurance for getting up a ladder.
    It really is hilarious lads with a bit of college thinking they are a foot higher than anybody else. I’d probably make more in a weekend doing a few nixers than you make in a week.

Let that settle in.

There's no need to be so bitter, perhaps some work on the big chip you so clearly have would be worth some of your time, that is if you're not too busy with your '"nixers".

Let that settle in.

We’ll leave it there as your starting to make assumptions that are miles off .My construction company is in business since 2001 and this year our spend to Subbie sparks and plumbers will be €250k so I have a fair idea of what is required to be a qualified sparks.
    What you made on your nixers this weekend is none of my business and fair play to you but I don’t need to work weekends anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

€70 per hour is very fair for small job. i.e. 2-3hrs. There are alot of unseen costs involved. I'm sure there is a day rate available and a week rate available.

Furthermore I do think they should be on par with solicitors etc as in my opinion its harder work and the length of career can be much shorter than some desk jobs. Sparkies need to take in more over their shorter career as its not easy to "pull cables" at 67 as the government will have people working till.

codrulz wrote: »
    There's no need to be so bitter, perhaps some work on the big chip you so clearly have would be worth some of your time, that is if you're not too busy with your '"nixers".

I get a chip because people constantly come onto boards asking for advice then complaining how much tradespeople charge and saying they shouldn’t get that people with degrees only get that.
    I do industrial work. My boss charges 600 euro for jobs I do in a couple of hours. It’s the going rate. Why should a self employed fella turn up at your house and work for less than that because he never got a degree.
    If you don’t pay the domestic lads enough they will go do the other work and you can go back to crying about not being able to get trades people.

I pull a grand a week my boss has to pay me,pay insurance, pay my van and diesel and tools and any training I need. Prsi administration it goes on and on. 70 euro an hour is a bargain.

• Advertisement

We’ll leave it there as your starting to make assumptions that are miles off .My construction company is in business since 2001 and this year our spend to Subbie sparks and plumbers will be €250k so I have a fair idea of what is required to be a qualified sparks.
    What you made on your nixers this weekend is none of my business and fair play to you but I don’t need to work weekends anymore.

You are in business since Celtic tiger days and are asking advice on boards for electrician hourly rate?

Suuuuurrrrreeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

You are in business since Celtic tiger days and are asking advice on boards for electrician hourly rate?

Suuuuurrrrreeee.

He’s not the one asking. Hate this “I reckon I make more than you” ****.. you have no idea what the man makes, give it a rest ffs.

Suuuuurrrrreeee.

You might wanna read back some posts. I didn’t ask any prices. I told the prices .might be enough internet for you Tonight..
    Also easy enough to see what I work as from my post over the years.

xabi wrote: »
    He’s not the one asking. Hate this “I reckon I make more than you” ****.. you have no idea what the man makes, give it a rest ffs.

Fair enough

You might wanna read back some posts. I didn’t ask any prices. I told the prices .might be enough internet for you Tonight..
    Also easy enough to see what I work as from my post over the years.

I apologize I took you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Jaysus, that de-escalated quickly

I apologize I took you up wrong.

Fair play to you for admitting when wrong .no harm . All the best

xabi wrote: »
    Jaysus, that de-escalated quickly

Haha real men admit when they are wrong. I was half reading the thread and mixed up what was going on and had a bit of a rant.
    I get a pain in the hoop justifying prices to people sometimes and have had a number of lads who can’t even unclog a dishwasher argueing with me about how much I charged for driving out to their house and pulling through their leftover food. Saying “sure I don’t even make that in an hour” like I should price my jobs based on how much they earn and whether they have more years schooling than me.

Anyway I admit it I embarrassed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

250k :eek:
    that's approx 2.5 electricians / plumber annual salary (that an employer would charge for them)

yes you have a fair idea with those 2.5 men of whats required :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

More Music wrote: »
    Hey,

Got a quote from an electrician to pull some cables through. Job is labour only, I'm supplying the cables.

I asked him for breakdown because I thought it seemed a bit much. His breakdown worked out at €70 per hour ex.VAT. That's the breakdown from him on paper.

Any thoughts on that rate?

Thanks.

get more prices

If you think its expensive - dont pay it
    If you cant get it any cheaper then maybe its not as expensive as you think

you've not given much of a breakdown of the work involved, eg call out someone to look at your washing machine / alarm / whatever, you pay a call out fee - maybe €100, they take 1 hr to fix and charge you €200 total. that was not €200 / hr ie there is more to the job than the hr they were there

Advertisement