Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug powered PC speakers

Options
  • 01-07-2018 12:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭

Is it possible to buy PC speakers with a plug anymore? Are they all USB powered these days? I find the USB powered lead frustrating, as it's yet another lead coming out of the PC.

I had an old one that recently stopped working, which had two leads coming from the speaker - one to the PC's ear phones sockets, and one that went to a plug.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely you could just use a usb adaptor like a phone charger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    that'd irk me.

Thanks,

They're not cheap. Might try get the old one repaired first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I'd recommend the logitech ones, I've been using a similar model to them with my pc for years and find them great and they're fairly cheap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Of course you can. There are wired ones starting from about €20 on Amazon or any site that sells PC stuff really. Like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it possible to buy PC speakers with a plug anymore? Are they all USB powered these days? I find the USB powered lead frustrating, as it's yet another lead coming out of the PC.

I had an old one that recently stopped working, which had two leads coming from the speaker - one to the PC's ear phones sockets, and one that went to a plug.

What stopped working?
    The PSU?
    The lead from the PC to speakers?
    Something else?

Depending on what is wrong a cheap repair or replacement might be possible.

I do not understand your objection to USB powered speakers ........ still only one lead from PC to speakers, and most PCs have a USB socket at the rear close to the audio sockets.

The sound clarity on those is much superior due to using a digital stream rather than the analogue for your existing speakers.

Thanks,

They're not cheap. Might try get the old one repaired first.

Good luck getting a repair for less than these cost :)

Good luck getting a repair for less than these cost :)
    I'll be doing my bit for the environment, and at least I'll know what to expect, because I'm tired of being disappointed with the designs of new products I buy. In argos you can't even try them out in the store first!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The mains-powered Logitech 6W pair recommended by TerrorFirmer in post #7 above are available in PC World for €22....

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/logitech-z150-multimedia-20-pc-speakers/316447/401.3.1

If you want to avoid USB-powered speakers, you simply need to go up the power (watts) scale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@OP
    I have a pair of speakers that are powered by a pass-through IEC plug so does not use a wall plug.

You are welcome to collect from Dublin 4. PM if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

@OP
    I have a pair of speakers that are powered by a pass-through IEC plug so does not use a wall plug.

You are welcome to collect from Dublin 4. PM if you are interested.

OP is site banned......can I have them instead lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

FanadMan wrote: »
    OP is site banned......can I have them instead lol

If you want them. No guarantee with them.

PM away.

Advertisement