Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too soon to start looking for new job?

Options
  • 01-07-2018 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

All,

I started a new job 4 months ago and up till last week absolutely loved the role and the people. Got full marks at the 3 month review and was told I was doing exceptionally well.

2 weeks ago, I got invited to a wider team meeting. A colleague on the accounting team was being promoted to fulfil an accountant position made vacant by a lady leaving. His tasks were now to be covered by myself and one other and that there were not going to be any new hires.

As a result of being busier, my manager dropped me from a major project that I have been involved in since the start as he did not want me to be overloaded with work. My role is now different to the one I started and which I applied for. I told my manager I was not happy. He said he agreed with all I said and would arrange a meeting to discuss. Straight after raising my concerns, he forwarded me on some project e-mails for reading (which I had been dropped off of and disinvited to the meetings) After a 2 day wait of anxiously waiting I queried on when I could expect the meeting to be scheduled. He acted clueless and we had the same conversation again. He said he would arrange a meeting next week to discuss even though he going on holiday for 5 weeks on Wednesday.

I don’t know what to do. I know he don’t want to upset other managers and wants me to keep quiet and just do the new tasks. I feel very disappointed and will be applying for jobs later today. I don’t know if I should include this latest position or leave off entirely.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks
    Kathyrn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Start looking. Loyalty is not valued anymore, your own self happiness is of paramount importance. If not happy be proactive and get out seeing as the manager just seems to want to sweep under the carpet.

Life’s too short. If you value your abilities more than they obviously do, then move on. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Leave it on, what's the alternative, a four month gap?

There are a load of opportunities in the accounting sphere. I'd be honest with the reasons you're looking to leave. That way any other firm that would think you are being unreasonable would weed themselves out by not hiring you... save you from getting hired by like minded people.

Keep looking until you find the right fit. It's an employee's market out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kathryn1985

Thank you all for your replies above, appreciate it.

I am going to spend time thinking and putting down some points on paper today in case he does (hoping) arrange a meeting. Doubt things will change as everyone else is happy with the arrangement. I know I have to be careful on how I put myself across as probabation is 6 months but at the same time I can't be seen to be a push over if he was to put me back on project work fully as he needs to trust that I can handle people and issues.

I will update my CV today and may be in full search mode depending on the outcome of our meeting this week.

Thank you all again.

Kathryn

Advertisement