Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work a week in arrears

Options
  • 01-07-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering if anyone could help me.
    Hilariously enough I have worked in payroll for years but have never encountered this situation.

I have been off sick for a good few weeks and my working week has just ended. They want me to work a back week again. I received SW while out as my.job has no sick pay scheme.

When I was off sick I did get paid for my original back week I worked when I started this job 2 years ago.

I can't find any legal wording on this anywhere? Is this normal that I have to work a week in hand again? Or is it down to the discretion of managment.

I'll add everyone works a week in arrears bar one girl so I presumed she was in my predicament before and this is why she is paid differently.

Any advice appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

HappyLuby wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could help me.
    Hilariously enough I have worked in payroll for years but have never encountered this situation.

I have been off sick for a good few weeks and my working week has just ended. They want me to work a back week again. I received SW while out as my.job has no sick pay scheme.

When I was off sick I did get paid for my original back week I worked when I started this job 2 years ago.

I can't find any legal wording on this anywhere? Is this normal that I have to work a week in hand again? Or is it down to the discretion of managment.

I'll add everyone works a week in arrears bar one girl so I presumed she was in my predicament before and this is why she is paid differently.

Any advice appreciated?

Am I reading this right, you want to be paid a week in advance when you go back to work, rather than working a week and being paid in arrears, which is the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

It’s down to whatever’s in your contract of employment as to when you get paid. If it says you will be paid in arrears then of course you’re going to need to work a week in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

What exactly did you do in payroll?
    Are you sure you are ready to go back to work?

The back week isn’t the first week you worked kept in a drawer for you it’s just the week before lasts pay. You happily took that while you were out sick. You will get it again one week after leaving or going sick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HappyLuby

I'm aware of what a back week Is! I've just never worked in a job before were the company didn't have a sick pay scheme. So I've never come across this situation before hence my question!
    I worked this week and I won't be paid till next Friday, I'm not looking to be paid a week in advance!
    We weren't given a contract. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to work a back week again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If you start back to work on Monday of say week 27, you will have earned your week's wages by Sunday. So you will not get paid anything from the firm on the Friday of week 27. You will get paid for week 27 on Friday of week 28.

So, the question is, when did you get paid by SW for being out sick on week 26? Is that not payable during week 27? In which case, you will still have money coming in during the 1st week you go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 HappyLuby

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    If you start back to work on Monday of say week 27, you will have earned your week's wages by Sunday. So you will not get paid anything from the firm on the Friday of week 27. You will get paid for week 27 on Friday of week 28.

So, the question is, when did you get paid by SW for being out sick on week 26? Is that not payable during week 27? In which case, you will still have money coming in during the 1st week you go back.

I know that's how a normal working week works. I just wanted to know was it the same after coming back from sick leave, apparently it is!
    My last SW payment covered me up till the day before I returned work and is paid in the same week you send your cert in. So I have to go a week without any payment, thats why I hoped it would be different! Thanks!

Advertisement