Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2018 - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Has the grid start thing ever been done in a world tour race before? Just wondering if there is any precedent as to how things might go at the start?

Yeah they did it for La Course last year. Annemeik van Vleuten won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

nee wrote: »
    Yeah they did it for La Course last year. Annemeik van Vleuten won it.

That was different. They started with the time gaps gained in a TT. This is more of a controlled mass start.

LeoD wrote: »
    That was different. They started with the time gaps gained in a TT. This is more of a controlled mass start.

No there was a regular road stage and the gaps were calculated from that.

ETA only the first 20 did the second stage actually. But same format otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

G to win the ITT and show us all that he is a master of all terrain. Then he will use the winter to teach Sven and co a thing or two about cyclocross.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    G to win the ITT and show us all that he is a master of all terrain. Then he will use the winter to teach Sven and co a thing or two about cyclocross.

<Snip>

Mod doping speculation can stop here and holidays may be awarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

godtabh wrote: »

I think a policeman knocked Froome off his bike after the stage as he was on his way down, the policeman claimed he thought it was some amateur that shouldn't be on the road? :confused:

I don't like Sky like most on here but I hate to see this.
    If something is not done riders being pushed off their bikes could become a regular occurrence.

https://twitter.com/_CycleGirl_/status/1022182101649567744

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tuxy wrote: »
    I think a policeman knocked Froome off his bike after the stage as he was on his way down, the policeman claimed he thought it was some amateur that shouldn't be on the road? :confused:

https://twitter.com/ulif/status/1022178702870896646

No matter who he is they think it's ok to grab or knock someone from a bike going down hill? Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No offence mod but i didnt say he was on anything illegal. Please return my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

No matter who he is they think it's ok to grab or knock someone from a bike going down hill? Idiots.

The amount of people liking those posts on twitter is also pretty gross.

happytramp wrote: »
    The amount of people liking those posts on twitter is also pretty gross.

Twitter is one of the more toxic places on the net, which say a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Liking on Twitter can be a kind of bookmark too

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In defence of the gendarme.. Froomes "style" makes it look like he has never rode a bike in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tuxy wrote:
    I don't like Sky like most on here but I hate to see this. If something is not done riders being pushed off their bikes could become a regular occurrence.
    Hasn't become a common place thing since 75 when merckx (in his version of events) lost the tour due to being punched on a mountain stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mloc123 wrote: »
    In defence of the gendarme.. Froomes "style" makes it look like he has never rode a bike in his life

We had the gendarmes screwing up the tear gas yesterday, and then this today.

Someone could probably script a pretty good Carry On \ Police Academy \ Allo Allo from their antics.

To cap it all, I expect to see this guy caught up in the final sprint on the Champs Elysees Sunday...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We had the gendarmes screwing up the tear gas yesterday, and then this today.

Someone could probably script a pretty good Carry On \ Police Academy \ Allo Allo from their antics.

It could have been worse for Froome... it if was the Vuelta it would have been a Spanish police officer. Froome would now be in hospital with a few broken bones and a very bad concussion :P

They take no prisoners! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Davy B apologises for slagging off the French here but then seems seems to double down!
    “France has given me such a fantastic experience over so many years that I’d never be ungrateful for that. The issue was more security. It’s been quieter, it’s been calmer since we came towards Spain.”

...towards Spain [where they have a different approach to doping violations] than that in France.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Given that the parts of Spain which border France are Catalunya and the Basque country, Dave might have riled up the locals by referring that area as Spain. He's an awful spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Last chance saloon today for a handful of people to make any impact on their race. Are riders happy to hold on to top 10 places or will they risk them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

mloc123 wrote: »
    Last chance saloon today for a handful of people to make any impact on their race. Are riders happy to hold on to top 10 places or will they risk them?
    Could only see Froome be willing to risk it from the real potential winners tbh. Unless Lotto Jumbo send one up the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Dan will try. Dan will attack and gain a minute plus on the GC today but won't win the stage.
    Roglic or Kruisjwijk will fall and drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Classic quote from Wiggins - the romanticism of Le Tour is long dead....

Asked if he feared the Tourmalet and its neighbours....

"They all go uphill, they're all on tarmac. It doesn't matter what name is on them – you go up them on a bike. It's just a name, really, at the end of the day," he said then. "Ultimately, it's about going out there and averaging 400 watts climb after climb."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Moved all talk about today's stage to the stage specific thread.

Roglic or Kruisjwijk will fall and drop out.

I really hope that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I really hope that doesn't happen.

Fingers crossed, yes ... We'll know by Sunday - I was speaking about the TdeF generally, not today's stage of course :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Who would have known back in 2009 that the Barloworld Bianchi Procontinental squad would go on to dominate professional cycling 9 years later. Talk about a team of late developers
    HYLuI4z.jpg
    Cummings was probably seen as the best of the anglophiles with the biggest potential

Season preview from cycling weekly back in the day https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/barloworld-team-profile-70167

• Advertisement

I wonder if Paolo Longo Borghini is related to Elisa Longo Borghini?

Advertisement