Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2018 - General Thread

Options

Comments

Petty......
    You might remind me where Dan Martin and Nico Roche were born?

How does it matter?

Delighted for Dan, just rewards. I believe the reward is actually to the tune of 20,000 euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Delighted for Dan, just rewards. I believe the reward is actually to the tune of 20,000 euro :)

Wonder how much of that goes to him and the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Wonder how much of that goes to him and the team?

Normally teams pool all prize money earned from the Tour and divide it between the riders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

How does it matter?

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

With less than 2 minutes between the top 2 cyclists, Why does the last stage of the Tour just be a free-wheel into Paris? Has any contender in the past made a serious attack on the last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

With less than 2 minutes between the top 2 cyclists, Why does the last stage of the Tour just be a free-wheel into Paris? Has any contender in the past made a serious attack on the last day?

Yes, is this just some gentleman's agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Somebody attacked once, cannot recall now... In the 80s or maybe early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

The year Stephen Roche won it, wasn't he attacked on the last stage into Paris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Riders don’t race during the last stage of the Tour. It is considered to be a ceremonial saunter to Paris, in which all riders pay their respects to the yellow jersey and his team.The racing does resume once the pack reaches Champs- Élysées, as they complete the final laps around it,which can be pretty frantic sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think Delgado made a token attack but was chased down and discouraged by Guido Bontempi.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Riders don’t race during the last stage of the Tour. It is considered to be a ceremonial saunter to Paris, in which all riders pay their respects to the yellow jersey and his team.The racing does resume once the pack reaches Champs- Élysées, as they complete the final laps around it,which can be pretty frantic sometimes

Would it be frowned upon if a contender made an attack say 40 or 50km from Pairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Would it be frowned upon if a contender made an attack say 40 or 50km from Pairs?

Yes. It would also be pointless. The yellow jersey team would have it chased down in no time.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Yes. It would also be pointless. The yellow jersey team would have it chased down in no time.

I'd love to see someone in the top 5 give it a go for the craic, and seeing how unpopular the Sky team are I'd say the general French public wouldn't mind either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd love to see someone in the top 5 give it a go for the craic, and seeing how unpopular the Sky team are I'd say the general French public wouldn't mind either.

The stage is neatralised once they hit he finishing circuit. The sprinters teams would eat anyone who attacks alive.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Brian? wrote: »
    The stage is neatralised once they hit he finishing circuit. The sprinters teams would eat anyone who attacks alive.

It's not officially neutralised, that only occurs if its wet.
    The race management and Commissaires’ Committee
    may have to take the following measures for the finish
    of the 21st stage on the Champs-Élysées in Paris:
    • if the road surface of the Champs-Élysées has
    become slippery before the riders reach it, then
    the times may be taken for the first crossing of
    the finish line;
    • if the road surface of the Champs-Élysées
    becomes slippery after the riders have already
    begun racing on it, then the times may be taken
    at the next crossing of the finishing line.
    In both cases, the finish will be maintained. In
    both cases, riders and sports managers will
    be informed immediately. In any event, riders
    must compete all of the circuits of the Champs-
    Élysées to be ranked at the final finish. A single
    car belonging to the sports managers will be
    authorized on the circuit of the Champs-Élysées.
    The second car will have to leave the circuit
    before the first crossing of the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

I don't follow cycling much ... just curious how close Dan Martin would get if he was riding for a better team?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Didn’t they finish on the champs elysees with a time trial before? Be nice if they did something different

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Didn’t they finish on the champs elysees with a time trial before? Be nice if they did something different

Aye Lemond beat Fignon in a stage 21 TT in 1989 to win the Tour by 8 seconds.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye Lemond beat Fignon in a stage 21 TT in 1989 to win the Tour by 8 seconds.

Breaking my 10 year old heart.

they/them/theirs

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's not officially neutralised, that only occurs if its wet.

You’re right. That was the Vuelta

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

like steve "interesting "davis with snooker in the 80's.
    TDF is becoming sooo predictable with sky sterilizing cycling.
    that is all!
    chapeau dan the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Would be fantastic if someone attacked the yellow tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Would be fantastic if someone attacked the yellow tomorrow

Not really.

Would be a bit of craic if there was only 10-20 seconds in it. 1m 50s, not worth it, other than to piss sky off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Brian? wrote: »
    Breaking my 10 year old heart.

I’m still not over that disappointment!

In hindsight though I think the cleaner cyclist won.

letape wrote: »
    I’m still not over that disappointment!

In hindsight though I think the cleaner cyclist won.

The use of clip ons was a bit of a grey area at the time, Fignon passed still believing he was robbed from what I have read, it would appear that Lemond was the cleaner cyclist though!

john9876 wrote: »
    I don't follow cycling much ... just curious how close Dan Martin would get if he was riding for a better team?

Using this year's race as an example, if he was on a better team, he wouldn't have lost as much time as he did during the team time trial. That would have been a huge benefit.

If he was on a better team he would have had more support in the mountains (i.e. better domestiques), so he might have limited the time losses he suffered. So he would have been higher up in GC... But then as a result he might have been closed down quicker during the attacks that he made.

His individual time trialling would be still the same (i.e. quite poor), unless the better team forced him to focus more on his TT ability.

If he was on a really good team, his best chance of winning the Tour de France would be if there was very little time trials. If the individual time trial was a mountain climb (the organisers do that every now and again), then that would suit him more than a flat time trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Using this year's race as an example, if he was on a better team, he wouldn't have lost as much time as he did during the team time trial. That would have been a huge benefit.

If he was on a better team he would have had more support in the mountains (i.e. better domestiques), so he might have limited the time losses he suffered. So he would have been higher up in GC... But then as a result he might have been closed down quicker during the attacks that he made.

His individual time trialling would be still the same (i.e. quite poor), unless the better team forced him to focus more on his TT ability.

If he was on a really good team, his best chance of winning the Tour de France would be if there was very little time trials. If the individual time trial was a mountain climb (the organisers do that every now and again), then that would suit him more than a flat time trial.

And IF ****e was black pudding, we'd all be butchers!

• Advertisement

dsaint1 wrote: »
    And IF ****e was black pudding, we'd all be butchers!

:confused:

Advertisement