Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2018 - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

The stats are certainly backing up that this tour is different to previous years or at least the last 2.
    At  this point in previous Tours the race was over, Froome was in top spot and with a minute or more to his main rivals . Job done he may as well have had the glass of champagne on Stage 11. 

This year Froome is in 6th spot and all his rivals are 20 secs either side of him 
    And what with more tweaks and experiments in the Tour format still to have run their course , I think we are defnitely seeing a more open race. 
    Harder for the riders but I hope they too can recognise that this is a tour more open , where they can make a mark even if its just a 15 min of fame mark. 
    2016 GC after Stage 10
    2017 GC after Stage 10
    and then look at 2018 
    2018 GC after Stage 10

RIGOLO wrote: »
    The stats are certainly backing up that this tour is different to previous years or at least the last 2.
    At  this point in previous Tours the race was over, Froome was in top spot and with a minute or more to his main rivals . Job done he may as well have had the glass of champagne on Stage 11. 

This year Froome is in 6th spot and all his rivals are 20 secs either side of him 
    And what with more tweaks and experiments in the Tour format still to have run their course , I think we are defnitely seeing a more open race. 
    Harder for the riders but I hope they too can recognise that this is a tour more open , where they can make a mark even if its just a 15 min of fame mark. 
    2016 GC after Stage 10
    2017 GC after Stage 10
    and then look at 2018 
    2018 GC after Stage 10
    Just to add..at this point in the teams classification ..post STAGE 10 

2016 SKY where in 3rd place 
    2017 Sky were in 1st place 
    2018 Sky are in 5th place...   I expect the SKY doctor may get fired post this race, not enough hay fever attacks being  diagnosed.  
    Or else its the new supplement drink many teams (ecept for SKY) are using .. KETONE ... or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just noting tonight that TG4 have highlights of the tour each evening but it is actually in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Jaysus, Rigolo are you doing a dissertation on the history of Team Sky performances in the tour by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Just noting tonight that TG4 have highlights of the tour each evening but it is actually in English.

Same every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

And start to finish day by day in Irish on tg4 with some prizes thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

And start to finish day by day in Irish on tg4 with some prizes thrown in.

It is also on the Welsh language channel s4c but in HD.

It is also on the Welsh language channel s4c but in HD.

HD Welsh? That must be something else!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s the Tour over now. 5 for Froome. Wonder if he’ll ride the Vuelta.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s the Tour over now. 5 for Froome. Wonder if he’ll ride the Vuelta.

The only hope is that Sky back "G" instead... otherwise we are just watching the race for top 5 places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

the future is track.

Robert Forstermann to join Sky next year and win 12 grand tours in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I just realised Dan's stage victory broke the Shimano run in the Tour. All stages last year were won using Shimano Di2.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just realised Dan's stage victory broke the Shimano run in the Tour. All stages last year were won using Shimano Di2.

What does Dan have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

Cancel the SKY dissertation. 
    My hope this was the year that SKY might be broken are out the window. 
    They seem to be even more dominant. 
    Another marginal gain ... cough cough .. SKY put the hammer down after Nibali crash....
    Nibali obviously wearing the wrong jersey, if he had a SKY one on, then he would have been allowed run up the road a bit and then be given the same time as the winner...
    SKY must be pumping some amount of money into the ASO, or else the TV rights in the UK must be making them a mint, they bend over for SKY, another marginal gain. 

Dan pulls a Dan, stickybottle says he made a decision to let the leaders go and ride his own tempo early planning to hope to get back on later but  but he misjudged the wind and couldnt get back on , he seems to have had the legs  as he rode solo and only lost 2 mins, if he had not dropped so early he may well have kept with them to the finish.  
    Seems when theres a choice to be made, 9 times out of 10 Dan is making the wrong one. 
     But the race to get into top 20 before Stage 17 'GRID' seeded start is definitely at play , alot of movement and racing within the race. 
    The only plus is that stage17 might be interesting when Sky 1+2 set off together with the other top 20 and we see who attacks or chases who.

Ah hold on. "Letting the leaders go" versus actually physically being able to stay with them is what we have here. SB taking journalistic licence no doubt. Riding to your own pace means exactly that you can't match their attacks and hope they settle down so you can claw your way back. That's not making a decision to let them go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ah hold on. "Letting the leaders go" versus actually physically being able to stay with them is what we have here. SB taking journalistic licence no doubt. Riding to your own pace means exactly that you can't match their attacks and hope they settle down so you can claw your way back. That's not making a decision to let them go.

Dan said as much in interview after; he said "tired" about 10 times. He looked bo11ixed.

"There was nothing in legs I wasn't even breathing that hard" or some such was quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Plus, he only lost 1m45 or so as the leaders were messing around sitting up before the sprint. Nibali with a broken back was able to almost get back on - youd imagine if they kept pusbing dan would have lost 3mins+

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Nibali obviously wearing the wrong jersey, if he had a SKY one on, then he would have been allowed run up the road a bit and then be given the same time as the winner...

My exact thoughts yesterday...

Froome gets clipped by a camera bike and they shorten the course afterwards to void the time lost.

Nibali gets clipped by a camera bike... **** him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

mloc123 wrote: »
    My exact thoughts yesterday...

Froome gets clipped by a camera bike and they shorten the course afterwards to void the time lost.

Nibali gets clipped by a camera bike... **** him

It was actually a spectator's camera strap... really random and really unlucky..
    Plus a guy got arrested for trying to push Froome of his bike, that's just idiotic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

scott1974 wrote: »
    It was actually a spectator's camera strap... really random and really unlucky..
    Plus a guy got arrested for trying to push Froome of his bike, that's just idiotic..

that was caught on camera too. Some auld lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

scott1974 wrote: »

Idiotic. Getting arrested or pushing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Idiotic. Getting arrested or pushing ?

The pushing of course...

Looking at the stages ahead... the tour is essentially over now? Two time trials (I considering the 60km hill stage to be a time trial) will be the deciding factor now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭happytramp

mloc123 wrote: »
    Looking at the stages ahead... the tour is essentially over now? Two time trials (I considering the 60km hill stage to be a time trial) will be the deciding factor now?

Who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Stage 17 looks spectacular from a visual perspective.

happytramp wrote: »
    Who won?

still waiting for Sky to decide..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why can't Froome hold a wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

py wrote: »
    Stage 17 looks spectacular from a visual perspective.

How is the "grid" start actually going to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

no thread for stage 13.. says a lot - feel really deflated after yesterday. Fingers crossed for some massive upset to change it up..

I'd love the entire peloton to team up and tear sky to shreds.. even at that, would there be hope!?

Advertisement