Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on a few items to purchase

• 01-07-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

So I've done about 10 Dathonls over last 3 years, one so far this year and will probably do 5+more this year.
    I'm also running the marathon in Oct' and hope that my swimming improves to the point I can do a Tri too.
    I've not invested in a few things that I think I need am I'd ovb like advice from your guys before investing.

Watch
    Requirements:
    Slim (don't like bulky watches) and wear tight shirts/suits so can't be huge.
    Good for Duathlon/Tri
    Links with Strava
    Heart Rate monitor (If the one on the device is accurate then good, if not need to be able to attach and external)
    Whatever else I need (advice required here)

Nice to haves:

Can link with andriod pay
    Sleep monitor function

Price: Would like to keep it under 200€ but if there is something over that that's better for me, I can sweat the necessary amount.

Areo/Tri Bars
    I have a CAAD 12 2017.
    I need to have a decent set of bars to fit that.
    I'm 5 7" if that's important.

Price: Not looking to break the bank here but can invest the amount necessary to get the right kit.

Pedals:
    I have decent look ones atm but the changeover time kills me,
    I'd like the option of flats with the toe strap things.
    I'd like to do some adventure races (Have done one in the past) and I'll need them for that also.

Price: Don't know, but current ones were nearly 100, not sure If I need to spend that again.

Glasses:
    I don't like the wraparound things.
    Prefer square looking ones
    Maybe just some tips on what to look our for in a pair might be a better guide.

Price: Don't want to invest very heavy here as have other pricy glasses (a few!)

Tri/Duathlon shorts
    I don't like all in ones as I'm about 5kg overweight and right now would not
    feel good about wearing one. JUst bottoms, I have a lot of running/cycling tops.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭joey100

On the watch, it really depends what you can from it. Personally I just use a watch that does run, have a bike computer so use that on the bike. For the swim I just use the pool clock, when I'm racing I won't stop to check the time and my thinking is when I get out on the water it doesn't really matter what time I've done the swim, not much I can about it then! But some people like to use it in the pool too, not sure you will get one that does all 3 for under 200, but you might pick up a second hand garmin 910xt or 920xt for around that. I use one of these, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-35-gps-running-watch/ it does everything I need but I do already have a bike computer. wouldn't say it's the best choice as a day to day watch, just based on it's looks.

I'd stick with the looks, if you look at the top lads they are all using clip in pedals so there must be something to it. Maybbe pick up a pair of tri specific shoes, one big strap so can be easier to put your feet in, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-trinity-tri-shoe/ , something like that.

I have seen platforms that clip into a clip in shoe but can't think of the name of them, might be useful for adventure racing but for tri's and duathlons I'd stick to the clip in's unless they are very short.

5kg isn't that overweight, you would see a lot more in races! But shorts are one thing I have found to be very person specific, I don't really buy them online anymore, just try on some shorts in a shop and see what fits best. Some have different types and sizes of pad.

Aerobars (not sure if your talking clip on's or full aerobars) I don't really know, I;d say something relatively light and make sure you like the bend on them, other than that I'm not too sure. Glasses the same, a pair that fit that you like the shape of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Since you mention investing a couple of times, you can just open the wallet in Tri and its a pretty endless spend- totally up to you what you consider a good return for your buck. One of the fastest guys around here manages to win races using a €10 Casio watch and training hard and smart (mind you he's got a nice bling wetsuit). Plenty who also win races with expensive watches/bikes/etc but after a while in the sport you realise the marginal gains and low-hanging fruit are to be found in training rather than the sports shop. There's a place of course for quality gear- IMO the best items to spend money on in order of preference are: bike/wetsuit/turbo/watch.
    With that in mind my 2c below...

Watch
    Garmin 935 ticks all those boxes but is about €500. Personally I'd recommend it at that price as a valuable training tool (worth the spend over €200 watches).

Areo/Tri Bars
    So you have a road bike and are looking to put aero bars on? IMO before spending money on watches/glasses/shorts you'd be better off buying a TT bike. However a good set of clip-on bars like the Profile Designs T3+ Aluminum Aerobar will add value and get you faster, if you aren't going to buy a specific TT bike.

Pedals:
    Can't answer for AR but for Tri you need to clip in, Look KEO or similar.

Glasses:
    You need to drop at least €500 on Oakleys, otherwise whats the point? ;)
    To be honest I use cheepo €10 glasses from PlanetX or similar- they all need to be made to the same EU safety specs and I could never justify a much larger spend- but each to their own.

Tri/Duathlon shorts
    If you are 5kg overweight just wear a trisuit. Everyone else does, there are all shapes and sizes in Tri and while the suit is unforgiving, its a sport rather than an idealised catwalk. You won't be noticed or commented on because of your body shape, and its not important or relevant in the context of competing and getting fitter/faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

EDit wrote: »

Thanks. Was hoping to get peddles I can put toe clips on to.

Zefal 45 type clips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

@joey100

Thanks for all of the input. I don't have a bike computer, and tbh I don't really want one.
    I'm not looking to go crazy with gear, just something simple. Have a FR 110 that's about 8 years old.
    Was thinking of this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-235-gps-run-watch-with-integrated-hrm/

I'm not talking about full areobars no, just the clip on ones.
    Like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/profile-design-legacy-ii-aerobar/
    OR http://www.wiggle.co.uk/profile-design-legacy-alloy-aerobars/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭joey100

I've no idea of that run watch from a biking point of view or if you can set up different profiles/sports in it but know a few lads use it for running and seem to like it.

I'd say for the aerobars your as well off trying a few different shapes on different peoples bikes and seeing whats most comfortable for you, either that or just go with the ones that look most comfortable, I've never used clip on set of bars though.

Advertisement