Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawke scope problem

Options
  • 01-07-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hello all
    I just noticed what i would describe as small bubbles/mist or something that looks like condensation in the sight picture of my hawke sidewinder scope. It covers approx 75% of the picture.
    It can only be seen with sidewards head movement. I.e. as the sight picture gets smaller due to movement and the picture goes dark around the edge. Also can be seen when looking at a bright background e.g. the sky.
    I have cleaned it well with the supplied cloth but its still there so must be internal.
    This is mounted on my air rifle. I am having a lot of difficulty with accuracy lately. Poi seems to be constantly moving after i zero. I Just cant get any cobsistency.
    Is the scope faulty? Its about 2 years old, has a 10 year warranty.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What type of air rifle is it .......

I qoute 'The poor fellow didn’t realize that powerful spring piston airguns could rip apart an ordinary rifle scope.'...

Although many scopes can survive use on magnum centre fire rifles they will fail very quickly on spring piston air rifles..

Now if it's not a springer then you'll have to look else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

What type of air rifle is it .......

I qoute 'The poor fellow didn’t realize that powerful spring piston airguns could rip apart an ordinary rifle scope.'...

Although many scopes can survive use on magnum centre fire rifles they will fail very quickly on spring piston air rifles..

Now if it's not a springer then you'll have to look else where.

Pcp so no recoil....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Are you at full mag when you're seeing this? If so, then it doesn't sound severe enough to be an problem with the scope, more to do with how it performs when the eyebox is at its worst.

I'd try the scope on another rifle before drawing any conclusions about the reticle shifting, check your rings etc.. while you're at it, and be sure to take account of the potential for sling tension and other such things to affect your shot.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Are you at full mag when you're seeing this? If so, then it doesn't sound severe enough to be an problem with the scope, more to do with how it performs when the eyebox is at its worst.

I'd try the scope on another rifle before drawing any conclusions about the reticle shifting, check your rings etc.. while you're at it, and be sure to take account of the potential for sling tension and other such things to affect your shot.

Its a 4-16 mag scope and imperfections can be seen at 4x. (Approx 75% coverage)
    I had it on my previous pcp until recently and didnt have any issue with zero or didnt notice anything in the sight picture when on the previous pcp.
    I suppose im just wondering if there is any justification in sending back the scope to the manufacturer under warranty?
    Regardless of how the scope-rifle combo is functioning now surely there should be no imperfections in the sight picture let alone 75% coverage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If your not happy with the scope and believe there is something wrong, send it back. When Hawke test it you will know. That's what the guarantee it there for, for your protection and piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Any difficulty or stiffness in adjusting the parallax turret or elevation/windage turret?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Any difficulty or stiffness in adjusting the parallax turret or elevation/windage turret?

Now theres an interesting question.
    The parralax wheel is very stiff, always has been from day one. If u are familiar with this particular model you will know that it comes with an additional wheel. The parallax is so hard to adjust with the small knob on side of scope that it almost requires the extra levelage of the big wheel just to turn it.
    I just thought this was fairly normal. I almost always have the parallax set to 50m so not in the habbit of adjusting so didnt take much notice of this.
    Is this significant?
    Windage and elevation turrets are fine. They track fine also as i tested them after i got the scope but not recently.
    Thanks

Wadi14 wrote: »
    If your not happy with the scope and believe there is something wrong, send it back. When Hawke test it you will know. That's what the guarantee it there for, for your protection and piece of mind.

Im very fussy though - im always finding problems with stuff.... i should be a tester....😣

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

HW100S wrote: »
    Im very fussy though - im always finding problems with stuff.... i should be a tester....��

Well get u and the scope checked out, and both might work perfectly after it :)

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Well get u and the scope checked out, and both might work perfectly after it :)

Think my condition is permanent/un-fixable!!!!😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'd return it too if it was me.

HW100S wrote: »
    Now theres an interesting question.
    The parralax wheel is very stiff, always has been from day one.
    That is your problem. The lense for parallax adjustment is not sitting right and instead of focusing the light properly the lense is running off its set "rail" and giving a distorted image.

I had this exact problem with the exact same scope. I returned to to Deben/Hawke and received a new scope three weeks later.
    If u are familiar with this particular model you will know that it comes with an additional wheel. The parallax is so hard to adjust with the small knob on side of scope that it almost requires the extra levelage of the big wheel just to turn it.
    I have three of them and the faulty one with the exact same problem had the same "solution" i had to attach the large wheel to be able to turn the paralllax adjustment. Without the large wheel it was nigh on impossible to turn the adjustment turret.

The other issue you'll find with it are the settings, which are normally close enough to the real world application, are off. So if you set it at 100 yards +/- a bit and look at something at 100 yards the clarity is not great. now adjust the scope without looking at the index settings on the parallax turret until the target image becomes clear. Once its clear check yuor index settings on the turret and you'll find the settings is for (example only) 50 yards or 200+ yards. IOW no where near the actual distance.

This is because the lens is not sitting correctly and giving the needed focus at the wrong setting. Also if the lens has "twisted" it'll cause the stiffness you feel and its only a matter of time before it'll stop working altogether and you'll either get a non focusing scope or a crosshair that does cartwheels when you move the scope.

Send it back to Deben/Hawke with an explanation of the fault, what happened and times/dates. Include the place it was bought from, and date of purchase. They inspect it and either repair, or simply replace it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Did you get to send this off or check it?

Did you get to send this off or check it?
    I returned it to the shop and he sent it away, no hassle.
    Said it will either be fixed or new one will be sent out. (90% of the time they send a new one he said)
    So hopefully I will have something by end of this month..:)

I'll say one thing about Hawke, they're customer service is better than pretty much any other company i've dealt with.

Let us know when you get sorted.

I'll say one thing about Hawke, they're customer service is better than pretty much any other company i've dealt with.

Let us know when you get sorted.
    This arrived today by courier from the shop.
    456224.jpg
    Hawke said in an email that the found foreign debris inside the scope that was returned so the sent out a replacement.
    Well done Hawke and POH in shop for excellent customer service :)

Less than two weeks and a brand new scope, no fuss, no muss.

As said above, Hawke, better than Nightforce, S&B, or any other company i've ever dealt with.

Glad you're sorted.

Less than two weeks and a brand new scope, no fuss, no muss.

As said above, Hawke, better than Nightforce, S&B, or any other company i've ever dealt with.

Glad you're sorted.
    Yes, great service.
    Thanks to all contributions above - much appreciated.:)

Advertisement