Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing help needed!

Options
  • 01-07-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks I purchased a Sewing kit to fix Leather but no instructions came with it and I've no idea how to use it!

Sewing Awl For Awning, Tents, Canvas Sails, Sewing and Leather Repairs+50M 1mm Sewing Waxed Thread 150D(black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MS45DLJ?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

That's the one I got in the link above, does anyone know where I would get instructions on how to use it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd say start with youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Regie93

I'd recommend you to search through some theme related books in the local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If the leather has pre-punched holes and existing stitching you need to examine the current stich pattern and follow it.
    First thing is to secure the existing threads so that they will not unravel further so you may have to carefully unstich until you get a useful lenght. Once the old stitching is secure start by overstiching stitching a few holes. If its using two threads, one will be in a needle looping down from the top side through the leather and the other will be flat on the bottom side capturing the thread at the bottom of the loop not allowing the thread to pull out as you retract the needle

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Are you sewing leather shoes?. What exactly did you buy this to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

kadman wrote: »
    Are you sewing leather shoes?. What exactly did you buy this to repair.

No I'm trying to repair a leather trimmed steering wheel, some of the stitching has started to ravell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Using a C shaped upholster's needle would be easier if you are trying to stich the trim back on. The curve will allow you to stich tighter as you can push or pull the needle as you follow the shape of the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Using a C shaped upholster's needle would be easier if you are trying to stich the trim back on. The curve will allow you to stich tighter as you can push or pull the needle as you follow the shape of the wheel.

Cheers I will try and get one.

Advertisement