Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Dublin to Dundalk to Belfast

Options
  • 01-07-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all
    I'm planning to cycle (road bike) from Dublin to Belfast over 2-3 days, with first stopover in or near Skerries, then next stopover somewhere north of Dundalk, and looking for advice on a good route.  I'm carrying all my gear so not wanting to do big hills, but keen to see lovely coastline and beautiful scenery, and avoid main roads where possible.  I'd appreciate any ideas for good places to see and stay, anywhere I just shouldn't miss?  I was looking at a route that goes cross country (just in from the coast, perhaps just west of the M1) up to Dundalk but perhaps I should be take in more coastline?  And whether to go across the Carlingford Ferry, or go up to Warrenpoint and take Sandbank Road to Hilltown, Castlewellan and north from there?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Skerries as your first stop?? You'll be there in about an 1 hour and 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KMONCUR

Yes, not arriving in Dublin until early afternoon (on the ferry) and want time to see a bit of Dublin, so that sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Skerries as your first stop?? You'll be there in about an 1 hour and 20 mins.

You mean, it'd take you an hour and twenty minutes.

It think it might take me a couple of hours from Dublin to Skerries with luggage and enjoying the scenery!  Any advice on the route... the hop up to Skerries or the two longer days up to Belfast... would be much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on how long/scenic you want to go; up via portmarnock and malahide (i.e. along the coast) would be a lot more scenic than cycling up the swords road, but would be considerably longer. you could go similarly circuitous via rush.

• Advertisement

Drogheda-Baltray-Termonfeckin-Clogherhead-Salterstown-Annagassan-Castlebellingham-Dundalk-Greenore Ferry......

Some lovely coastal views, and few hills.

Greenore Ferry is what you call Carlingford Ferry.

Thanks Eamonnator.  I will give that route a look.

Thanks Eamonnator.  I will give that route a look.

magicbastarder I don't mind a few more miles for nice scenery... can you get north of Malahide straight up the coast through Portraine or do you have to detour inland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, you'd have to swing back inland, past lissenhall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭billyhead

OP, If I were you I would extend the trip up to the very northerly point of Antrim i.e the coast road as far as the Giants Causeway is very scenic.

Thanks billyhead that sounds good and I will think about doing it another time - there are always more places to go than the time I've got! - do you have any advice for the route up to Belfast?

If you decide to take Dundalk-Greenore ferry route, be sure to make a short detour to visit Carlingford village. It's a lovely old village, and has some great medieval buildings(king John's castle, mint, prison etc. Also call to Greenore village( as opposed to port) It's a really quaint place and always reminds me of an English village.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Check this out for a spin as far as Newcastle, myself and two others did it on Saturday: https://www.relive.cc/view/1672379640

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

I did Dublin - Belfast along the coast over 2.5 days earlier this year.

Day 1: Dublin to Dundalk. Took the inland road (via Naul) to Drogheda, then pretty much as Eamonnator describes to Dundalk. Coast road to Drogheda via Skerries etc is much nicer, but I cycle it a lot, so went inland for a change. 100km

Day 2: Dundalk to Portaferry. Carlingford - Greenore ferry - coast road through Annalong, Newcastle - turned out onto coast road through Killough, Ardglass, Strangford, ferry across to Portaferry where I stayed overnight. 110km

Day 3: Up the inside of Strangford Lough, which was a mistake but I was under time pressure. Up the outside of Strangford Lough and then back into Belfast would have been far nice. ~50/60km

It was a nice cycle, particularly the feeling of going up the full coast, taking the two ferries etc. Most of the roads were fine, some were a bit busy, but ok. Not much in the way of hills really.

If you want recommendations for B&B or eats in either Dundalk or Portaferry, just let me know, or any query at all of course.

You can also get from north of Balbriggan to Drogheda without using the main road (R132).

After the loop junction for the M1, take the next small road on your right (near a quarry). Turn left at the next T junction and follow the road northbound for several kms (past Mosney). Keep going north ignoring the Cul de Sac sign and you'll arrive at a footbridge over the river Nanny beside the railway. Turn right after the footbridge and this will bring you onto the coast road via Laytown, Bettystown, Mornington and eventually into Drogheda along the south banks of the river Boyne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

KMONCUR wrote: »
    magicbastarder I don't mind a few more miles for nice scenery... can you get north of Malahide straight up the coast through Portraine or do you have to detour inland?

I'd recommend hopping on the train for one stop north of malahide to donabate.

KMONCUR wrote: »
    You can get from Malahide to Donabate via the Estuary Road at low tide but it involves a bit of walking.

Portrane is a 'dead end' so you'd have to eventually come back again if you choose to go there.

OP - I'm not sure if you're on Strava but if you are, you can zoom in on the route I did last December to see how I went from Malahide to Donabate/Portrane, Lusk, Rush, Skerries etc. I was keeping as close to the coast as possible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1318859589

You can also get from north of Balbriggan to Drogheda without using the main road (R132).

After the loop junction for the M1, take the next small road on your right (near a quarry). Turn left at the next T junction and follow the road northbound for several kms (past Mosney). Keep going north ignoring the Cul de Sac sign and you'll arrive at a footbridge over the river Nanny beside the railway. Turn right after the footbridge and this will bring you onto the coast road via Laytown, Bettystown, Mornington and eventually into Drogheda along the south banks of the river Boyne.

That's a lovely spin.
    Murphy's Quarry.

Railway bridge over Nanny features in "Midnight in Tunisia", "The Crying Game" and I think "Michael Collins"

• Advertisement

Thanks heartofwhite - that looks a nice route.  Do you have that as a GPX file (or a link to Strava)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you pass through Greenore, there's great whiskey made locally there. Just saying... :)

Advertisement