Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund

Options
  • 01-07-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭

Howaya folks.

I bought a piece of exercise equipment which is designed to attach onto an existing piece of equipment that I already have.

However, when I attempted to assemble it I discovered that it does not fit my existing piece of equipment.

It is meant to be attached together by bolts but the holes drilled on the new piece do not match with the holes on my existing piece. Also in another area, my existing piece has no holes where the new piece has holes and is meant to attach to it.

If you can follow! :)

Basically, the new piece is not compatible with the existing piece. Both are from the same company and the new piece is designed, marketed and sold to fit the existing piece.

I have contacted the company and they have refused a refund. However, they have offered to drill new holes in my existing piece to force the new piece to fit, Im reluctant to accept the offer.

They have refused the refund on the basis that there is no issue or problem with the new piece, apparently the issue is with my existing piece. I dispute this...it's either compatable and designed to fit or it is not....and it clearly is not. Its unfit for purpose.

It's like I have been sold a piece of equipment which is designed for a different model of what I have and the companies solution is to modify my existing piece to make their new piece fit.

I know its clear as mud but anyone have any idea if Im fighting a losing battle?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

If you can show that they definitely indicated the item you purchased would fit then you should consider small claims court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Chargeback or start PayPal dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

xl500 wrote: »
    If you can show that they definitely indicated the item you purchased would fit then you should consider small claims court

Hey.

I told them what equipment I had and they told me they had the attachment which fits it. I was under the impression I was getting the right one.

Either the manufacturers fcuked up or these lads sold me the wrong attachment. Either way, they just want to alter my existing equipment to make their piece fit.

Thanks.

Jarren wrote: »
    Chargeback or start PayPal dispute.

I paid cash unfortunately!

Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

They should refund you, no questions asked.

Would you mind uploading a pic or 2 so we'll get a better understanding of the issue?

Jarren wrote: »
    They should refund you, no questions asked.

Would you mind uploading a pic or 2 so we'll get a better understanding of the issue?

I cant, the new piece is dissassembled and back in its box.

I wont name the company but I have a commercial power rack (weights rack). The item I purchased was a Lat Pulldown/Low Row attachment which connects to it.

No point hiding what the item is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Has the main frame design changed/upgraded since you got yours? Is there a possibility that the new piece fits a more recent model than yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you dealing with the retailer or manufacturer? That’s not 100% clear to me.

A retailer should offer a repair, replacement or refund. In this case, I don’t think modifying your existing gear is equivalent and you would rightly want reassurance that this would be done correctly. I would try once more with the manager, and if that fails send a registered letter giving them XX days to resolve or start a Small Claims Court case.

davo10 wrote: »
    Has the main frame design changed/upgraded since you got yours? Is there a possibility that the new piece fits a more recent model than yours?

I had considered that and have asked that question, no reply as of yet.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Are you dealing with the retailer or manufacturer? That’s not 100% clear to me.

A retailer should offer a repair, replacement or refund. In this case, I don’t think modifying your existing gear is equivalent and you would rightly want reassurance that this would be done correctly. I would try once more with the manager, and if that fails send a registered letter giving them XX days to resolve or start a Small Claims Court case.

It's a company not a manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice. I will pursue that angle.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Have you compared your old piece of equipment with one in the shop, to see if it is identical? The company might be right and your original piece of equipment might be defective, but you just haven't noticed it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

mdebets wrote: »
    Have you compared your old piece of equipment with one in the shop, to see if it is identical? The company might be right and your original piece of equipment might be defective, but you just haven't noticed it before.
    From their post here they appear to have purchased the old piece second hand and it may not have been the model they thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Hey.

I told them what equipment I had and they told me they had the attachment which fits it. I was under the impression I was getting the right one.

Either the manufacturers fcuked up or these lads sold me the wrong attachment. Either way, they just want to alter my existing equipment to make their piece fit.

Thanks.

When you did your recent purchase, did you correctly describe the existing equipment, if your description was 100% correct, you have some comeback, but if (for example) the origional piece was second hand, whom ever sold it to you, maybe have cited the wrong model number to you, or even modified/repaired it in some way that caused the problem, and then, you are totally depending on good will from whom you both the upgrade.

Thanks for all your advice.

Issue was resolved with a full refund due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Well if the new piece has everything on it it should have and the older piece is missing something then the problem lies with the older piece. You should go back to where you got the older piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement