Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abused by a disabled person

• 01-07-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I was waking down a main street in Dublin city centre today. As I approached the corner heading straight on a man in a wheelchair came from around the corner off a side road and almost collided with me. He began shouting at me ‘are you f*ckin blind?* to which I responded ‘no are you?’. He then started calling me every name under the sun as I explained to him I had right of the way. He continued shouting at me, I walked on as I felt uncomfortable and people were staring at me having an argument with a wheelchair user. Was I in the wrong here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You meet obnoxious people every now and then. Their being disabled or not is immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

nails1 wrote: »
    I was waking down a main street in Dublin city centre today. As I approached the corner heading straight on a man in a wheelchair came from around the corner off a side road and almost collided with me. He began shouting at me ‘are you f*ckin blind?* to which I responded ‘no are you?’. He then started calling me every name under the sun as I explained to him I had right of the way. He continued shouting at me, I walked on as I felt uncomfortable and people were staring at me having an argument with a wheelchair user. Was I in the wrong here?

what makes you think you had 'right of way'? I didn't know there was such a thing for pedestrians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In pedestrian terms I’m not sure there is a right of way on the way you mean.

I think if I walked into some unfortunate in a wheelchair I’d apologise profusely out of guilt and not start a thread rambling on about how you had “right of way” over a wheelchair user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Was with you until the right of way thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Did you at least tell him to "fúck off"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Pavements don't operate on a 'right of way' system......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

People in wheelchairs are just like everyone else . Some are great , some are rude and some are cranky .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Disabled people are still just people. Twats come in many guises

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Does it matter?

I would just deal with it if it was any other person, disabled or not.

If I felt that I was in the right and someone wants to vent, it really wouldn't bother me. They don't know me, I don't know them, I wouldn't take it to heart. I'd just move on with my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Make a beeline for the Hapenny Bridge. You'll be safe in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Sounds like he might have a chip on his shoulder , disabled people can be assholes as well as the rest of us...no right of way on a path if it was me I would have apologised and just left him to his rant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This has the makings of being fantastic thread.

Could you not have told him to go fcuk himself or stick something in the spokes of his wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Could you not have told him to go fcuk himself or stick something in the spokes of his wheels.

Let down his tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Do an Alan Partridge, turn around - grab the handles and give the wheelchair a big push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Yahir Shapely Escalator

Disabled people are still just people. Twats come in many guises

some sjw sees/videos it, takes the disabled persons side (not taking sides here but - say if he was in the wrong here) and blows up on twitter "poor disabled person verbally attacked by able bodied person" - it would be like the Ryanair wagon who was at fault but still tried to get a social media backlash against Ryanair

Your better off not getting involved as it would blow up in your face..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    People in wheelchairs are just like everyone else . Some are great , some are rude and some are cranky .

A lot are cranky

Must be irritating in fairness not being able to walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Bloods vs Crips.

Like when Sons of Anarchy went to Ireland but with better Irish accents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

some sjw sees/videos it, takes the disabled persons side (not taking sides here but - say if he was in the wrong here) and blows up on twitter "poor disabled person verbally attacked by able bodied person" - it would be like the Ryanair wagon who was at fault but still tried to get a social media backlash against Ryanair

Your better off not getting involved as it would blow up in your face..

Could you imagine if the only part of conversation recorded was the lad saying he had right of way over the disabled chap..

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He should have stopped if he was coming from a side street on to a main Street obviously.

Op was lucky he didn't get a good kicking

Oh wait..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Yes. You should have tipped him over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The Bloods vs Crips.

Threads up and runn.. I mean being wheeled along .

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

I just felt he was perhaps being aggressive towards me as he’s aware that nobody (or very few) would assault a wheelchair user and he can call me what he likes and gets away with it. I also think that a person walking around a blind corner should be aware that people may be walking straight down a street. I shouldn’t have to stop at each side road to see if a person might be turning onto it. Likewise if I was driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

South Park 2001

Watch "South park cripple fight with "They Live" side by side" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/112776990?ref=em-v-share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Repeal the Abled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

In Lidl once and after putting my stuff on the belt I stood back and started daydreaming a bit, listen to music on earphones. I didn’t notice anyone join the queue behind me and hadn’t put a divider down either. I wasn’t blocking access the belt, I’d kind of stood to the side.

I felt something bump into my ankle, assuming it was a trolley I turned out to see who it was and it was a guy in a wheelchair going mental at me.

Calling me every name under the sun, that I had no respect, I was a prick, he’d beat the **** out me. I think this was all because I hadn’t put a divider down.

This went for a minute until I said I wasn’t going to fight him but just because he’s in a wheelchair doesn’t mean he can be a **** to people.

It kind of ended there as security came over and told him to shut up.

The whole thing was quite surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

First thing I thought of when I seen the title to this thread

https://youtu.be/SBaFwemRrJ4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Should have just walked up some stairs and said "nah nah nah nah nah. Can't get me"

Gonad wrote: »
    First thing I thought of when I seen the title to this thread

https://youtu.be/SBaFwemRrJ4

This one
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UWNvry6o-Ww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Bloods vs Crips.

I'd love a crip sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mikenesson wrote: »

Kinda just rubbing it in by then all being told to stand up for Chuck.

Anyway Op should of done this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I seen the thread and thought “yyyeesss” I’m going to come up with something hilarious here.

Then I calmed a bit and said woah conservatory that’s an awful thankswhore thing to do.

I think getting in a chair to fight them is the done thing. I might have tried to make a joke out of that but that’s not who I want to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

amcalester wrote: »
    I felt something bump into my ankle, assuming it was a trolley I turned out to see who it was and it was a guy in a wheelchair going mental at me.
    I bet it was the same lad!

a wheelly tough situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

This is what I pictured street reading op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

You should have been the bigger man and just walked away

CPTM wrote: »

No relation

They all look alike in the wheelchair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sounds like two episodes of The Inbetweeners.

The Fashion Show

Thorpe Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Chewbacca wrote: »
    You should have tap danced your way out of there.

That would have shown him who is boss!

It would've shown him who's gay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I went to school with someone in a wheelchair. I was sitting behind him in class one day and I started writing on one of his wheels with a pen. He turned around and looked at me. I said to him "I'm just writing my name on your tyre". He said "okay".

This doesn't have much to do with the thread but it just came back to me.

I went to school with someone in a wheelchair. I was sitting behind him in class one day and I started writing on one of his wheels with a pen. He turned around and looked at me. I said to him "I'm just writing my name on your tyre". He said "okay".

This doesn't have much to do with the thread but it just came back to me.

What goes around, comes around

Especially if it's written on a tyre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

CPTM wrote: »

Apparently he gets around

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that Trinity girl that was always causing snags in the media a while ago?

she was the Ryanair one I mentioned - probably quiet after her being a pain to Costa until her next "injustice"

edit apparently now an intern in the Finanicial times

looking at her twitter, she retweets any injustice - expect a meltdown again soon from her about something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

You should have just walked away, some disabled people can be very bitter and angry and being in a wheelchair presents a huge number of challenges from getting around each day to finding a partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Do you still have I've of those Cadet Orange bottles lying around OP? You should stick it in his wheels so he sounds like a Honda 50 when he's rolling around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

My instinct would have been to apologise and move on quickly. I would definitely not have gotten into an argument with him. No point and no positive outcome. Sounds like you got angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

you should have done what jeremy did here at 17:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpMbzc2ULw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I just felt he was perhaps being aggressive towards me as he’s aware that nobody (or very few) would assault a wheelchair user and he can call me what he likes and gets away with it. I also think that a person walking around a blind corner should be aware that people may be walking straight down a street. I shouldn’t have to stop at each side road to see if a person might be turning onto it. Likewise if I was driving
    He probably just thought you were a cnut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement