Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof replacement

Options
  • 01-07-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Old flat roof upstairs. It needs to be replaced. One quote for 16k.
    I am guessing the job involves ripping off everything and replacing any wood underneath that needs it. Some kind of insulation installed. Haul away debris.
    18ft x 12ft

Is 16k nuts or am I stuck in the 90's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

16kg sounds nuts to me. Our kitchen has a flat roof too. Internally, the room is 19ft *11ft.
    We had the old roof stripped back recently, and replaced.
    I’m vague on the details, it’s not really my department, but I know they used marine ply instead of ordinary, which is very expensive. The lead had to be replaced, we got new insulation, and then new *whatever the top coat is made of*

I’m not 100%, but I’m pretty sure we had change from 4K. My OH sourced the materials, and he did price around, so they came in cheaper than the carpenter originally quoted.
    We had another quote at the time which was slightly more expensive, and it was for a firestone rubber roof, but that was still less than 5k.

Of note, he was able to re-use our gutters. Ours is a ground floor extension, so that was obviously cheaper than doing a first floor room. And he didn’t take away the old stuff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

percy212 wrote: »
    My parents have an old flat roof on their bedroom upstairs. It needs to be replaced. They have only got one quote from someone they know for 16k which seems very high to me.

I am guessing the job involves ripping off everything and replacing any wood underneath that needs it. Some kind of insulation installation installed. Haul away debris.
    18ft x 11ft
    One end is against the house and one end runs to the gutter.

Is 16k nuts or am I stuck in the 90's?

Sounds expensive alright , get another quote .
    Deane roofing are a good company and work nationwide I think . I dont have a number but I'm sure a google will get you contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Very useful information! Thanks for that. Time to shop around I think...
    jlm29 wrote: »
    16kg sounds nuts to me. Our kitchen has a flat roof too. Internally, the room is 19ft *11ft.
    We had the old roof stripped back recently, and replaced.
    I’m vague on the details, it’s not really my department, but I know they used marine ply instead of ordinary, which is very expensive. The lead had to be replaced, we got new insulation, and then new *whatever the top coat is made of*

I’m not 100%, but I’m pretty sure we had change from 4K. My OH sourced the materials, and he did price around, so they came in cheaper than the carpenter originally quoted.
    We had another quote at the time which was slightly more expensive, and it was for a firestone rubber roof, but that was still less than 5k.

Of note, he was able to re-use our gutters. Ours is a ground floor extension, so that was obviously cheaper than doing a first floor room. And he didn’t take away the old stuff either.

Advertisement