Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be upset if you overheard someone saying you were not a nice person?

• 01-07-2018 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If you overheard someone, be it a workmate, family member or alleged friend basically saying you were not a nice person at all and you were just awful, would you shrug it off and put it down to difference in opinion or would it bother you and confront the person about what they meant?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Nobody wins unless everybody wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hold my earrings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Don't give a foop what anyone thinks of me so I'd literally yawn it off. I live by my code (honourable, honest, etc) and everything else takes second place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

If you overheard them, that means they are maligning your character to others. They can think whatever they like but they should NOT be spreading **** about you about the place. Tell them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It depends, am I a nice person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No, I'm a cvnt

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If all they were saying is I'm not a nice person, I wouldn't care because I know I'm a lot worse than that

yes i would beat them up because i am lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If you overheard someone, be it a workmate, family member or alleged friend basically saying you were not a nice person at all and you were just awful, would you shrug it off and put it down to difference in opinion or would it bother you and confront the person about what they meant?
    What's you're definition of nice? I was told in no uncertain terms that I was a complete ***hole once for pointing what I thought was a definciancy in a 3 year old child. Turns out the father overheard me and kept an eye on said child and it turns out there is an issue mentally. Doctor says to the parents it was lucky it was pointed out to them as the condition was caught early it's easily treatable yet I still get called a prick for being rude and it was none of my business to say it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What's you're definition of nice? I was told in no uncertain terms that I was a complete ***hole once for pointing what I thought was a definciancy in a 3 year old child. Turns out the father overheard me and kept an eye on said child and it turns out there is an issue mentally. Doctor says to the parents it was lucky it was pointed out to them as the condition was caught early it's easily treatable yet I still get called a prick for being rude and it was none of my business to say it in the first place.

Well a nice person would have just ignored the spastic child and laughed under their own breath at his retarded actions

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah, 'tis

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

no, I'm probably not nice to them cause i hate them and want them to die

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

jaxxx wrote: »
    Don't give a foop what anyone thinks of me so I'd literally yawn it off. I live by my code (honourable, honest, etc) and everything else takes second place!

Without even knowing why?
    All I'm hearing with that statement is... 'If U can't handle me at my worst then U don't deserve me at my best!'

That reeks of a lack of self awareness and narcissism.

Perhaps they have a valid complaint? Perhaps you have poor judgement in the people you call friends?
    A little more information is required of the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I'd rather be someone's glass of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea. I would be more aggrieved by the bitching behind my back than their dislike of me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

'If the cap fits, wear it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Nice is a matter of opinion. I respect my friends and close familys opinion other than that cudnt care less.
    There are plenty perfectly "nice" people I wouldn't choose to be in the company of because in my opinion they bore the t*ts off me and Im sure my opinion of them is just as irrelevant in their lives.
    I once heard "its none of your business what anyone thinks of you" and I love that saying, its so true everyone is entitled to an opinion but most peoples opinions mean sweet fcuk all to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd probably agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Meh, if it was at work, they'd probably be accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Well a nice person would have just ignored the spastic child and laughed under their own breath at his retarded actions
    I tried to ingore him but he kept gnawing at my knees and the blood all over the floor plus the ACL injury kind of ruined the event for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

If it was someone I liked who I thought liked me, I’d be hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'd immediately post one of those motivational pictures on Facebook about Not Caring What Other People Think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I'd immediately post one of those motivational pictures on Facebook about Not Caring What Other People Think.

Those posts are so weird. How do people apparently have so many toxic folk in their lives? Isn’t one of the benefits of getting older is that you learn better how to flick toxic people away?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 inspector frost

If it was someone who I considered a friend, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

It’d hurt me for a few minutes. Then I’d spend the next two years slowly chiseling at their professional reputation until they are sacked or leave.
    It’s happened before. They were the ones who are bad persons though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Probably be a bit baffled and irritated but not 'cut to the bone' so to speak, funny how the biggest experts on your character, origins, sexual orientation or whatever are usually people who've never had a single conversation with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

I've overheard it.. had it said to my face and even been discussed on here ;)

Does it bother me?... Not a bit..
    I can be a bit argumentative and you've got to expect that not everyone is going to love you for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nope.
    I’m Not particularly nice to people I don’t like and most of them know how I feel.

The notion that you need to like and be nice to everyone is silly playground rules.

Im a snob, I’ve pretty high standards regarding the type of person I’ll associate with, many see me as a stuck up cnut and I’m fine with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not really because its not something Im self conscious about as I try to be nice and people say Im nice, if I heard somebody saying I was really quiet or boring or something it would upset me because its something Im self conscious people might be thinking,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Years ago yes. When I was trying to establish my life & get on in the world, I'd have been concerned about stuff like that.

Now I'm 50, married to my best friend, nice kids, good health, etc...

Nowadays I don't even care even if my own kids call me 'The worst parent ever' & all that.

Water off a Ducks back to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

We can all wonder and think what people really think of us?
    We can even figure out if someone dislikes us... But to hear it vocalised behind a closed door can shock/hurt the toughest of us!?
    So yes it would bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

_Brian wrote: »
    Nope.
    I’m Not particularly nice to people I don’t like and most of them know how I feel.

The notion that you need to like and be nice to everyone is silly playground rules.

Im a snob, I’ve pretty high standards regarding the type of person I’ll associate with, many see me as a stuck up cnut and I’m fine with that.

I'd be the same at this stage. Outside of immediate family, I couldn't give a breeze what people think about me.

As long as I know I'm good with the people inside my front door, I'm happy.

Too many out there that are Street Angels & House Devils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It would depend on who was saying it, the context in which they were saying it, and (I think this is important) whether or not I thought they might be justified in saying what they're saying.

I'm quite deaf anyway, so it's unlikely that I'd hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It happened to me in recently in work , got my own back on her later by eating her lunch.
    That fcukin' showed her who's not nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'd be upset if I overheard someone saying I was a nice person.

It would be a total violation of my mission statement. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In general I am a nice person. So, if I heard people saying I wasn't being nice I'd be a little put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A traveller who I refused to give money to a while ago said to his brother "he's a weirdo". The brother said "is he?" and went into hysterics laughing. The brother that laughed at me has been in prison numerous times for sexual assault and I think both of them almost beat an elderly man to death once.

I was highly insulted that I didn't meet with the approval of these upstanding citizens. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Those posts are so weird. How do people apparently have so many toxic folk in their lives? Isn’t one of the benefits of getting older is that you learn better how to flick toxic people away?

Clue: they're probably the toxic person themselves :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Nope. People talk through their holes. I have even overheard my siblings talking about me on occasions and wondered if they have ever met me. I dread my eulogy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

it's a weird question because chances are if someone's saying this then there must be a bit of truth to it. As evidenced by a few of the replies. It'd be different if they were saying you were stupid, or boring, or weird, or something more ambiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

You would certainly do some self reflection. If you were being an asshole then they are entitled to feel that way. If people can't identify 'prickish' behavior in themselves they have a personality disorder. After doing some self reflection and you feel confident you've done nothing untoward then it should absolutely be confronted because you and your reputation is being smeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

If I heard someone saying anything about me that's not true, I would confront them. I am a good person and would not be happy to hear someone say otherwise.

I tried to ingore him but he kept gnawing at my knees and the blood all over the floor plus the ACL injury kind of ruined the event for me.

You should have just kicked him in the face.

As long as there were no witnesses you'd have been grand

Sure who'd believe the retarded little bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Of course, I would. It might not be objectively true, but if someone said this about me, I would want to know why they felt this way. It could be something I am doing that I am not even aware of that could be easily fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You should have just kicked him in the face.

As long as there were no witnesses you'd have been grand

Sure who'd believe the retarded little bollix

Nah, I don't think Pauliedragon is Facekicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm old enough and self aware enough to know there's going to be a fair few people that aren't going to like me but it would depend on who it was. I'd love to say I could shrug it off normally but if it was a close family member like a sibling or someone I'd consider a good friend then I'm sure my ego would be fairly bruised by it. I would try not get into a fight about it but I'd want to talk to them to try and sort things out rather than be tit-for-tat about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Well, according to many fairy tales I read as a youngster that person would get his just desserts a short space of time suitable to the length of the fairytale and I will get to Iive happily ever after.

Has happened to me in the street good few times.
    They have better 3rd level qualifications too. Etc Etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

All you have to do is take five minutes from your life and listen objectively to perfectly ordinary people gossiping to know the unmerciful and vindictive shyte that people allow to casually pass their lips under the guise of social commentary. I have heard stuff in passing that would shrivel your ears. How anyone could take seriously ''someone saying you are not a nice person'' truly stumps me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It depends on why they are and what they're saying.

For example if a random poster here called me a bastard, I wouldn't really care. If it was a close family member I'd want to know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement