Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poached eggs

Options
  • 01-07-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭

So I was in a restaurant for breakfast earlier. And one of my poached eggs was liquid yellow (good) but a lot of liquid white (bad) but that's imho. When I cook and the way I always learned was, a good poached egg should have a hard white and a runny yoke.

The manager told me they normally served them as I received them, it was normal, but if I didn't like that, it was my choice... She was quite blunt about it and I was definitely wrong...

So was I wrong? Should it be
    Hard white, soft yoke OR Hard white on the outside, slightly liquids white and soft yoke on inside OR hard white, hard yoke,
    Or some other way???

How should a poached egg be cooked (ideally and not personal preference) 42 votes

Soft Yolk with a firm white
    0%
    Soft yoke with a milky white surround and firm white outside
    92%
    rubadubDundalkDuffmanZuluMc LovewhiskeymancooperguyolerasRebelButtMunchgrahamoranthony4335robryanwiz569[Deleted User]MightyMunsterCheshire CatwrithenDizzyblondehumberklogmonicafussycom1 39 votes
    firm yoke with a firm white
    4%
    TreeDouble C 2 votes
    Firm white with soft yolk
    2%
    acai berry 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The manager is happy to serve what I consider badly poached eggs. I'm with you 100% - runny yolk, but firm white all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You were right. She was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Manager didn’t know what she was talking about. You are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I was certain I was correct, but she was so arsey about it...I thought ok maybe I overcook... Silly French place anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

French place
    Well, in fairness, that would have been useful information to include in your OP.

You were wrong. She was right.

Cheek of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would have sent it back, half raw egg ugghhh but French eating habits are different

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fritzelly wrote: »
    Would have sent it back, half raw egg ugghhh but French eating habits are different

In my experience, French restaurants are always right and don't take criticism well.

In my experience, French restaurants are always right and don't take criticism well.

It was a chain place "Cote Brasserie" so it seems to be mixed opinions....or is my sarcasm meter turned off?

arghh put in a poll but cant edit it!!!! its wrong...

arghh put in a poll but cant edit it!!!! its wrong...

Here I was thinking we were talking aboug eggs - now I get it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The manager told me they normally served them as I received them, it was normal, but if I didn't like that, it was my choice... She was quite blunt about it and I was definitely wrong...
    If they were refusing to rectify it I would have called their bluff, said "is it really normal? that's a pity, I saw several photos of poached eggs from your chain on yelp, tripadvisor and other review sites and thought they looked delicious and were nothing like this. I will get a photo in case other are misled and so they know what to expect".

They could not even consider this passive aggressive, you are simply going to share a photo of a perfect poached egg, the norm, what's to hide...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186338-d1388951-i182581706-Cote_Brasserie_Kensington-London_England.html

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186338-d1388950-i62523314-Cote_Brasserie-London_England.html

I think she would have a hard time defending what greeted me when I cut my egg.... This was not squashed by me.. This is what happened when I cut it

There's yellow there from the other egg also.. It didn't have a huge yolk that filled the plate...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

No-wouldn't have eaten that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    No-wouldn't have eaten that myself.
    I think the phrase should be "wouldn't have drank that" ;)

I think she would have a hard time defending what greeted me when I cut my egg.... This was not squashed by me.. This is what happened when I cut it

Thats rank, even the yolk isnt cooked

Onto their FB page and get your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It makes a huge difference to the finished product if you put the egg through a fine strainer before poaching it. This will remove a small amount of liquid that will otherwise stubbornly refuse to cook to solid along with the rest of the white if you're looking for a soft yolk. When buying a strainer, make sure the join between the top of the mesh and the metal rim is smooth as you have to tip the egg straight from the strainer into the hot water.

Strainer_Sieve_14_Cm_Stainless_Steel?$detail_main_ar$

The alternative is that when the egg is poached, you need to put it into a shallow dish with a round bottom, then use a (preferably plastic) slotted spoon to scoop up the egg, drain the dish, put the egg back, scoop it up, drain the dish and you'll end up with a clean, liquid-free white.

Their Facebook page first respond they say so have sent to their head office feedback department. Nothing received back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If one was like that and another not I don't see how the staff could make any claims of it being normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Firm white with soft yolk
    I'm not mad about soft yokes, generally, so unfortunately I'm going against the majority here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement