Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in London / Renting Bike

Options
  • 02-07-2018 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hi, I want to get from the British Museum to Kew Gardens it doesn't look too bad on map even I am not great cyclist at all. Any suggestion which route would be less stressful and generally dos and don'ts would be appreciated!

Also I am going to stay in London for 3 days and looking to rent a bike - any advise on that?

454697.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's Boris bike-able if you wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'd probably take the tube rather than a Boris bike, either way you're going to sweat like a good thing but far less stressful than negotiating London traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Waara Rex

ED E wrote: »
    That's Boris bike-able if you wished.
    Yeah that would be my best option I believe, only that the nearest terminal is in Hammersmith which is 3.3 miles 1 h walk to Kew Gardens.

Miklos wrote: »
    I'd probably take the tube rather than a Boris bike, either way you're going to sweat like a good thing but far less stressful than negotiating London traffic.
    11.5 miles is about 18 km that's like from Phoenix Park to Dun Laoghaire - quite achievable to me and I would go off-peak hours say 10am on workday.

It is not about sporting it's about exploring, my first time in London and I want to see more than underground, just stop where I like take a couple of photo etc. No time pressure so no sweat.

Well that would be my plan but you're probably right about the traffic maybe it is not going to be very enjoyable. City bike is good as you can always live it at terminal and continue with the public transport, the only thing I hate is deposit but it is unavoidable for non-residents.

British Museum to Hammersmith then

454730.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Waara Rex wrote: »
    11.5 miles is about 18 km that's like from Phoenix Park to Dun Laoghaire - quite achievable to me and I would go off-peak hours say 10am on workday.

It is not about sporting it's about exploring, my first time in London and I want to see more than underground, just stop where I like take a couple of photo etc. No time pressure so no sweat.

Well that would be my plan but you're probably right about the traffic maybe it is not going to be very enjoyable. City bike is good as you can always live it at terminal and continue with the public transport, the only thing I hate is deposit but it is unavoidable for non-residents.

Loads of people cycle in London! In the city centre, you will see maybe 20-30 cyclists at the top of the queue waiting for lights to change. Lots of people commute on Bromptons and other foldies. Use the Boris bikes, whats the worst that can happen? If you dont like it after a couple of miles, dock it and use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

As previous poster said, Also if cycling to Kew the Thames path is a fantastic way to get around. Get on the river south side at Battersea near the iconic power station. You can avoid the big loop near Hammersmith by cutting through Barnes past the London Wetland Centre, 
    If you have made it to Kew you should consider going on to Richmond and looping around the park. Hyde Park / Kensington Gardens are also good to cycle through. Brompton have a bike hire scheme there is a registration fee but if you wanted to keep the bike for 3 days in your hotel room it is pretty cost effective Brompton. The beauty of the Brompton is if you wanted to hop on the train from Richmond or Kew back to London you can although it might be a little bumpy on some of the thames path.

Advertisement