Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE Rentals - Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 02-07-2018 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys, 
    Just putting this up to try help make people more aware.
    I recently responded to an ad placed on Daft for an apartment in The Dickens, Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 4.
    Once in contact with this "representative" of IE Rentals he suggested I pay a deposit through Airbnb and then we could inspect the apartment and sign the lease.
    However when I pushed him on some support to his legitamacy he had no appropiate response, instead telling me if I didn't want to rent then someone else would. The company registration, VAT number and PRSA license number were all made up.

When I inspected further the link provided to go the payment screen was a redirect link to a page that looked like it was Airbnb that was very convincing.
    I did not provide payment but I have given him/her my girlfriend and my PPS numbers, names, DOB.

Goes without saying you should never provide payment before meeting the landlord / agent at the property and inspecting the property.
    Thankfully I have accommodation but I would worry that this scam has caught people out that are more desperate for a place to live than me.
    Is there anything I should do to help protect myself and my girlfriend in relation to the PPS number and DOB given to this person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Did you report the ad to Daft and the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran12

I told Daft and Airbnb. I will head in to a station on the way home and just inform them but I don't see them actively pursuing, more to cover myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Pretty bad behaviour and probably in breach of their lease :-/ (I assume they are not informing their landlords)

I am almost in that situation (living in one fo the highest demand developments in the city and rent hasn't increased for 6 years as the relationship with my landlord has been excellent), and I will be moving out soon as I recently purchased a property. Wouldn't have came to my mind to screw the landlord who's been good to me and mess-up the local rental market even more by subletting the property on Airbnb in spite of not being allowed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

No way. It has all the hallmarks of a scam (payment before meeting, fake payment site etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran12

As far as I'm concerned it was a scam, the link I was sent to make payment was not a legitimate Airbnb page. It was his own page that would have cleaned me out. When I challenged him on his legitimacy he kept repeating he "was a verified user of Airbnb". The listing never appeared on Airbnb when I searched for it through their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nope just a pure scam. They’ll be no apartment and they’ll keep the money

Advertisement