Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hose pipe ban

Options
  • 02-07-2018 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

anyone know if the hose pipe ban includes parts of wicklow today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

From what I understand it covers the 'greater Dublin area' which seems to include large parts of Wicklow and Kildare even alright.

Map here : https://www.water.ie/news/irish-water-confirms-wate-1/GDA-map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

jobless wrote: »
    anyone know if the hose pipe ban includes parts of wicklow today?

Mostly the coastline areas down just south of Gleanealy, same as it was last week.

But more importantly do you need a ban in order to act responsibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Uriel. wrote: »
    Mostly the coastline areas down just south of Gleanealy, same as it was last week.

But more importantly do you need a ban in order to act responsibly?

ah i just laid a new lawn and a while back and its struggling in the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

jobless wrote: »
    ah i just laid a new lawn and a while back and its struggling in the heat

All of our lawns are struggling in the dry spell. My back is not looking overly bad but the front is mostly brown at this stage. As are all the "green" areas to the front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grass can recover from being brown/yellow.

As soon as it rains again, which it willl, it will return.

It's only grass and it's more important to keep our water levels maintained for better uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

Quick question it states in the ban you can use a watering can to water plants if I fill a 5l water bottle and use that am I liable to be fined?

Cynortas wrote: »
    Quick question it states in the ban you can use a watering can to water plants if I fill a 5l water bottle and use that am I liable to be fined?

I don't think anyone is liable to be fined just yet.

Lady from Irish water on the radio the other day said you're fine to water your plants using a watering can (I fail to see why you couldn't use a hose to do the same thing) just don't put the sprinklers on your lawn all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

wexie wrote:
    Lady from Irish water on the radio the other day said you're fine to water your plants using a watering can (I fail to see why you couldn't use a hose to do the same thing) just don't put the sprinklers on your lawn all day.

wexie wrote:

Thanks I have a herb garden and some tomatoe and strawberry plants dont want them dying on me but I am going to be mindful and use the water bottle to water them and try not to waste much/overfill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

wexie wrote: »

Watering can will take longer and you have to physically do it and therefore will in most cases use a lot less.

Cynortas wrote: »
    Thanks I have a herb garden and some tomatoe and strawberry plants dont want them dying on me but I am going to be mindful and use the water bottle to water them and try not to waste much/overfill them.

She was saying that initially they are just relying on the public's good will and then if that doesn't work they might have to look into appointing people that could do some enforcement but from what she was saying it sounded like they'd prefer not to have to because who would do the fining, what authority would they have etc. etc. etc.

Just be mindful of consumption I guess, nobody will do ya in for watering your herb garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wicklow is looking awful dry in general at the moment. Noticed a lot of trees shedding.

Advertisement