Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA violating the law

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

troyzer wrote: »
    Just rang the Ombudsman. They told me that I need a final response letter which apparentely the AA can take up to 40 WORKING days to give me. And from there it can take two months to investigate. This is ridiculous. CCPC have just completely wasted my time.

Don't expect this to be over quickly, if you want to use your rights under EU law in this country you need to have patience, be ready to invest significant time and get a load of negative reactions from others.

It took me over 1 1/2 years of pressure onto the NTA to get Non-irish bank accounts for the leap card top up including complaints to the EU, but it finaly worked.

I took me over 6 month to convince a health insurance provier (who now does not exist anymore) to allowe non-irish bank accounts and that involved the financial obmudsman.

It's not easy and as the Irish Goverment has deceided not to attach penalties or fines to companies not behaving is making this difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Don't expect this to be over quickly, if you want to use your rights under EU law in this country you need to have patience, be ready to invest significant time and get a load of negative reactions from others.

It took me over 1 1/2 years of pressure onto the NTA to get Non-irish bank accounts for the leap card top up including complaints to the EU, but it finaly worked.

I took me over 6 month to convince a health insurance provier (who now does not exist anymore) to allowe non-irish bank accounts and that involved the financial obmudsman.

It's not easy and as the Irish Goverment has deceided not to attach penalties or fines to companies not behaving is making this difficult.

I wasn't expecting this to be over quickly, this started seven months ago.

I'm hoping the GDPR violation will scare the Beejesus out of them. Do you think it's worth threatening them? Something to this effect:

"Dear incompetent fools,

I've been waiting for you to become compliant with EU law for seven months now. I know you know there's very little chance of the government cracking down on you for not doing it.

So how about this? You've also gone over the 30 day SDR time frame and the lads don't mess around with GPDR violations. Fix my problem in the next two weeks and I won't report your GDPR violation to the DPC.

Yours sincerely,

An irritated customer who's probably going to the leave the AA once this is all sorted anyway."

Sounds golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

GDPR is the worst thing ever to happen to consumer protection. It slows everything down and makes businesses go by the book in responding to complaints, even when there is a common sense option they may wish to take to resolve the issue. You are now on the treadmill that will take as long as it takes

GDPR is the worst thing ever to happen to consumer protection. It slows everything down and makes businesses go by the book in responding to complaints, even when there is a common sense option they may wish to take to resolve the issue. You are now on the treadmill that will take as long as it takes

I think the provisions of GDPR are common sense and should be the standard everywhere. But I do agree that it seems to be paralysing decent customer care. Hopefully that'll smooth out over time and just become part of the furniture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sorry, I haven't read all of the OP, or any of the rest of the thread, but with any Financial companies you can get on to the consumer part of the Central Bank and they'll sort it out. The Central Bank will tell you they can't come back to you on your case, but you'll know when they've done it becasue the AA will phone you up to take your German IBAN. (Source: got the Central Bank to tell Laya to take my N26 DDM).

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't read all of the OP, or any of the rest of the thread, but with any Financial companies you can get on to the consumer part of the Central Bank and they'll sort it out. The Central Bank will tell you they can't come back to you on your case, but you'll know when they've done it becasue the AA will phone you up to take your German IBAN. (Source: got the Central Bank to tell Laya to take my N26 DDM).

To clarify: I phoned the Central Bank, told them what the story was, they said they couldn't get into individual cases. The called me back soon after (don't remember if it was same day or later) and asked if they could use my details in their contact with Laya. Later that day, Laya sorted me out.

To clarify: I phoned the Central Bank, told them what the story was, they said they couldn't get into individual cases. The called me back soon after (don't remember if it was same day or later) and asked if they could use my details in their contact with Laya. Later that day, Laya sorted me out.

That sounds like you just got lucky. When I rang the phone call was over in 5 seconds. She wouldn't even let me explain before saying it wasn't their problem.

troyzer wrote: »
    That sounds like you just got lucky. When I rang the phone call was over in 5 seconds. She wouldn't even let me explain before saying it wasn't their problem.

Maybe it was when SEPA enforcement was a novelty to them.

Actually, maybe I emailed them initially. If they read it instead of dismissing you straight off, them might have a good at AA.

Maybe it was when SEPA enforcement was a novelty to them.

Actually, maybe I emailed them initially. If they read it instead of dismissing you straight off, them might have a good at AA.

This was at Christmas, so not too long ago.

I'll send them an email after this GDPR period elapses.

Quick update, the 30 day period has now elapsed and still haven't heard anything.

As I've said in another thread, I'm thinking of leaving N26 anyway but moving to a British domiciled bank so the issue would still be the same presumably.

I sent the AA a fairly threatening email and demanded a call back. If they don't ring me back by close of business with a solution I'm going to the DPC.

• Advertisement

Another update.

After a fairly brief email exchange, the data protection supervisor realised what a monumental cock up they've made and how badly they've exposed themselves to fines.

So they offered to write off the rest of my repayments and then if I choose to renew they'll take whatever bank I want.

Have to say, that's a fairly solid win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Great news - well deserved happy ending!
    It's tenacity like yours that improves things for everyone.

(Don't know how that got into a quote box).

Sorry - please ignore the last post, can't delete it.

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Great news - well deserved happy ending!
    It's tenacity like yours that improves things for everyone.

I suspect what's after happening is they realised they've exposed themselves quite badly but it'll take time to get the IT system set up. So they're effectively buying me off until they have it fixed.

Advertisement