Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipt has a different price to what I got charged

Options
  • 02-07-2018 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I was out in a bar Friday evening just for 1, get charged 5.50 - well that is what the receipt says. Happened to check my online banking over the weekend and see that I got charged 15.50.

So straight away I'm thinking the guy behind the till pocketed my cash. Will be heading over at lunch to get my money back but as this place was jointed on Friday with the good weather he could have earned a nice sum doing this throughout the evening.

Any suggestions on dealing with this. I have my doubts this could be an accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

why the assumption of "pocketing the cash" - there's a hell of a lot easier ways than to make an error that shows up on a customer's card statement almost straight away

Have you not ever made an error? Or if you did, did people immediately assume you did it on purpose as part of a criminal act.

It was an error - a simple miskey and very simply rectified by bring receipt and a screen shot of the card transaction to the pub. People do make errors now and then - but for someone to immediately assume a criminal act for such a minor error is utterly and totally ridiculous and stupid

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How on earth do you think he "pocketed your cash" with a card transaction?

It was a mistake, seems pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

awec wrote: »
    How on earth do you think he "pocketed your cash" with a card transaction?

It was a mistake, seems pretty obvious.

Card reader not linked to till, put receipt for 15.50 in till and take out tenner. Possible, but so is a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

not sure why you have assumed the worst? when you go back, please be less judgemental. Explain you have been overcharged, but don't attribute a motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Keller Bear

Cheers for the replies. I should have added that I do realise this could be a mistake. We have all been there when you pick something up in a store, got to the till, not pay attention, get home and notice the price is different to what was displayed. It happens, understandable and solvable.

But, my card was tapped for 5.50, I have the receipt to prove that. Yet, another tenner was taken off on top of that same transaction. They guy asked could he tap, I nodded, and he turned away back towards the till. I didn’t ask for cash back, but I was wondering could this be instigated without the customer knowing? Would you really have two receipts printing out i.e. one going to me for 5.50 and another going into the till for 15.50? I just don’t understand the mechanics of it. A tenner isn’t a lot of money on the grand scheme of things but over a course of a busy night this isn’t a “minor” act as one of you put it. I imagine it is as plausible as is a genuine mistake.

Again, honestly, thanks for the replies – I am not normally a judgemental guy. But there is something nagging at me here. Either way, I will get my money back mistake or not and it is easily rectified and of course I won’t accuse anyone of stealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Do you have a transaction there for the 5.50 you have the receipt for as well? I assume it’s the card reader receipt that you’re talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Had a similar problem a while ago in a bar near Merrion. I was charged twice for the same pint. My bank notifies me with every payment though so I was immediately able to flag it and demand another pint.

My payment was contacless as well. I think that's where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Very few bars link their tills and card terminals, they normally ring up the order on the till, put the amount into the terminal manually, take the payment, print the card receipt, then complete the order on the till and print a second receipt.

The receipt for €5.50 is likely the one from the till, and the €15.50 is independently created by the card reader, with the help of the barman's thumb. They probably forgot to give you this receipt.

Maybe it's a scam but it leaves them highly open to being caught when the till takings don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

troyzer wrote: »
    My bank notifies me with every payment though soI was immediately able to flag it and demand another pint.
    Rest of world: Gimme my money back!
    Ireland: Gimme another pint!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

endacl wrote: »
    Rest of world: Gimme my money back!
    Ireland: Gimme another pint!

:D

Well, it was late in the night and I was blistered enough to neck the first and coddle the second.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies. I should have added that I do realise this could be a mistake.

A tenner isn’t a lot of money on the grand scheme of things but over a course of a busy night this isn’t a “minor” act as one of you put it. I imagine it is as plausible as is a genuine mistake.

Again, honestly, thanks for the replies – I am not normally a judgemental guy. But there is something nagging at me here. Either way, I will get my money back mistake or not and it is easily rectified and of course I won’t accuse anyone of stealing.

No not judgemental???? - Evan after accepting that it could be a mistake, you STILL are judgemental and suggesting that it would go on all night with several people.

1. - The receipt you have is a till receipt as card receipts for the customer are not automatically generated for tap payments.

2 - at the end of a night there are balancing totals for cah and card payments. Now there can be an odd time a staff member hits cash instead of card and in moist businesses it would be flagged if it happened regularly, so if your ridiculous assertion that there was a theft angle, it would show as cash down and card income up compared to readings.

3. In most places and especially bars, staff have an individual keyfob or code to access the till system, so their transactions are easily identified.

4. Most places have cameras over their till points. Again all time stamped and in man cases linked into the till systems.

there are many many many easier ways to try and scam a tenner than one that leaves a very verifiable trail and customers who will almost always know what they spent.

So maybe assume it was an error as it 99.99% probably is. Rather than continue to assume there is a criminal act of theft behind it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cheers for the replies. I should have added that I do realise this could be a mistake. We have all been there when you pick something up in a store, got to the till, not pay attention, get home and notice the price is different to what was displayed. It happens, understandable and solvable.

But, my card was tapped for 5.50, I have the receipt to prove that. Yet, another tenner was taken off on top of that same transaction. They guy asked could he tap, I nodded, and he turned away back towards the till. I didn’t ask for cash back, but I was wondering could this be instigated without the customer knowing? Would you really have two receipts printing out i.e. one going to me for 5.50 and another going into the till for 15.50? I just don’t understand the mechanics of it. A tenner isn’t a lot of money on the grand scheme of things but over a course of a busy night this isn’t a “minor” act as one of you put it. I imagine it is as plausible as is a genuine mistake.

As far as I know you cannot get cashback with a contactless payment.

It's not as plausible as a genuine mistake. You would have to be a special kind of thick to rip people off who are paying by card. Far too easy to get caught and there's an easy paper trail to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

My local Centra have told me cashback isn't available on contactless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yes, I think they have to get you to put in your pin regardless of the size of the transaction for cashback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So did you go back yesterday Keller Bear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Ya no cashback when tapping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Simple mistake,
    Was out at a steakhouse last week.

Few of us out.
    Bill came to 175, I put it on the card. I usually dont check the amount too much but did this time.

157 was on the machine, I told him he made a mistake, (could see his face assuming another annoying customer)
    but when he realised the mistake was very grateful and said that it would have came out of his wages....

Mistakes happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Years back, had a guy come in to petrol station I worked at to pay for €82.00 diesel. I banged €820.00 into the machine by accident, he entered his pin and left. Till numbers were way out at closing time and he was back the next day ready to lose the plot but understood it was a simple thumb slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭FaganJr

L1011 wrote:
    Card reader not linked to till, put receipt for 15.50 in till and take out tenner. Possible, but so is a typo.

Any good ones are integrated, to avoid such scams

FaganJr wrote: »

Still plenty of ancient POS systems (both initials work here!) that aren't though. Still sometimes see magstripe readers on keyboards and a completely non-connected card reader that needs re-typing or more often no idea of cards on the till at all

The mistyping stories given by other posters above could only happen on manual entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

FaganJr wrote:

Not in bars where the terminal can't be tethered across the bar.

Op if you think the barman tapped twice in succession then go back to the bar and state this. Follow up by saying you will get confirmation from your bank that the transaction time is within seconds which should never happen in ordinary circumstances.

FaganJr wrote: »

In places where there can be more time given to a transaction, yes, most are integrated, but not in most pubs and restaurants where the card machine is usually wireless and even a few seconds can be the cause of lost business.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Actually happened to me about 3 weeks ago.

Went to pay for 2 drinks by tap but my phone wasn't responding to the machine. Said it to the bar guy and he looked at the machine and said it's fine.

I just paid by card, all that displayed on the machine was to enter my pin and no balance or anything like that.

Next day was going through my online banking and got a bit of a shock.

The drinks cost E17.75 but it was put through as E177.75.

Went back in on the Sunday but had to go back the Monday so they could verify it. They just handed me the cash, luckily I had kept both receipts, something I never do.

Always keep receipts!

Handing back cash shouldn't be done for card payments, easier for you but not good for the retailer. Card refunds go to card as a rule.

Particularly on credit cards where handing out cash is effectively a cash advance and the card issuer will be quite upset they don't get to charge the extra fees and immediate interest for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

troyzer wrote:
    Had a similar problem a while ago in a bar near Merrion. I was charged twice for the same pint. My bank notifies me with every payment though so I was immediately able to flag it and demand another pint.

What swanky bank does that in Ireland? My revolut card does but not my stone age AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Shaunoc wrote:
    What swanky bank does that in Ireland? My revolut card does but not my stone age AIB

Google Pay does it when I tap my phone rather than my card. My bank doesn't notify me of transactions. I use Google pay as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

American express does it on iPhone also. Every time you tap card you get an instant notification on your phone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shaunoc wrote: »

I get an immediate notification to my iphone after using AIB debit or credit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Someone has mentioned it but I would recommend Revolut. Some great security features and you get a notification with every spend. You would have seen there and then that you were charged the extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

whiterebel wrote: »
    I get an immediate notification to my iphone after using AIB debit or credit cards

When you use the actual card and not your phone? How? Through the app?

Advertisement