Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA College Football - 2018 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭coco0981

Hard to tell but he looked to be down before the ball came out there? Big call for the Sooners if it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bama handing out the mother and father of a beating
    Tua over 150 yards already
    No offensive yards on two possession for the Sooners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

At least I'm right about this one.
    This is the best Sooners team I've ever seen and that's saying something.

It might be a normal day for Tua with no second half play.

eagle eye wrote:
    At least I'm right about this one. This is the best Sooners team I've ever seen and that's saying something.

Not being funny EE did you mean Bama

• Advertisement

brinty wrote:
    Not being funny EE did you mean Bama

Yes I meant the Tide. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭coco0981

Hmmm, still over probably but getting a bit closer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fair play to Oklahoma for keeping their heads up when it looked like they were going to get a hiding. Wish ND had shown as much pride. Hopefully Clemson win out now to quieten the "would Alabama beat NFL teams?" nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Theres no shame in notre dames loss tonight , clemson and bama are the two best teams in the country everyone knows that .Theres no doubt however that georgia or ohio state would have made it more of a contest.

Ohio State were blown out by Purdue and needed OT to beat Maryland. Theyre not a good team and did not deserve to be there. ND had a similar strength of schedule too, and since people like to bring up past ND performances, Ohio State were beat by 31 against Clemson 2 years ago (and that was a better Ohio State imo)

Georgia were blown out by LSU and have already shown they can't beat Bama so why give them another shot. You'd have a repeat of SEC title game last night and the same result.

Washington have to recover an onside kick and score a TD for the most improbable comeback in Rose bowl history. They were down 28-3 at the start of the 4th quarter.

It didn't work out, Buckeyes win.

I've said it before, if I was a college football coach I'd want to win a Rose bowl over a national championship. It's the best and most special bowl to me. Pasadena is just a special place too.

• Advertisement

Guess Georgia we're shown up again and why they shouldn't have been in the final four.
    Dominated by a solid but unspectacular Texas Longhorns team from the Big 12. Longhorns led 28-7 early in the 4th before Georgia let rip and from started connecting with his receivers. Their last TD drive was added by two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on Texas fir 30 yards.
    I'm hesitant to say we're back but we're getting a lot better. Another big 12 championship game and New year's six bowl game in 2019 would make me very happy

I'm watching the FCS final and just now a fake field goal attempt was successful.
    Thing is the holder for the field goal had his knee on the ground when he caught the ball from the snapper. Apparently that's allowed for a fake field goal.
    For anybody reading this that doesn't follow college football if your knee goes down in normal circumstances the play is over at that stage, you do not need to be touched by an opposing player.

Funny thing eagle eye,saw Georgia got pulled up on the first punt v Texas.punter had his knee on the ground as he received the ball,punted to inside the Texas 5,but on review it was called dead and brought back to the Georgia 35 I think.Texas ended up with a field goal out of it. Punters next attempt he shanked for an 11 yard pick up only.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Come on BAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Getting in early with this but expect the field to be a complete mess tomorrow night. It has been a disaster all season and has been raining quite a bit which could impact it further even though they have it covered. Hope a slip doesn't change the game.

I'm sill deciding if I'm going to watch it. I haven't missed one for well over a decade. I have to organise things like going to bed early and getting up for it or taking Tuesday off and the fact that it's Clemson vs Alabama puts me off a bit. This is the third time in four years that these two teams have met in the final and it's just not as interesting for me because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm sill deciding if I'm going to watch it. I haven't missed one for well over a decade. I have to organise things like going to bed early and getting up for it or taking Tuesday off and the fact that it's Clemson vs Alabama puts me off a bit. This is the third time in four years that these two teams have met in the final and it's just not as interesting for me because of that.

100% agree hence why i wont be staying/getting up for it

Will watch it due to being on the East Coast but have no excitement about it. The game usually really drags on as well

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

They’re a combined 106-4 for the last 4 years. They’re the 2 best teams not just of the last 4 years but for the last 25!

Have a feeling the Tigers will pull off an upset!

They’re a combined 106-4 for the last 4 years. They’re the 2 best teams not just of the last 4 years but for the last 25!
    What are you on about? Clemson only got good a couple of years. They were never serious contenders for national honours for years.

• Advertisement

What are you on about? Clemson only got good a couple of years. They were never serious contenders for national honours for years.

You’ve misread what I meant. I mean this Clemson team of the last 4 years along with Alabama are the 2 best teams we’ve seen going back nearly 25 years. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Serious start. Hot hands on both sides. This could be another mass execution on American soil! At the hands of the gunslinger from Hawaii.

Crazy first few drives, could be a great game.

Looks like I was wrong about the field. Somehow manage to have it in better shape than most of the season. Nice to see Levi's actually full and noisy for once

With a beating like this I wonder if the judges in future will think twice about putting in Alabama in the playoffs, you'd have to think Georgia or Ohio State would have made this more interesting and wouldn't be down by 28 points by the third quarter. There'll be question marks about whether they deserve to be there from now on.

With a beating like this I wonder if the judges in future will think twice about putting in Alabama in the playoffs, you'd have to think Georgia or Ohio State would have made this more interesting and wouldn't be down by 28 points by the third quarter. There'll be question marks about whether they deserve to be there from now on.

You are being sarcastic there RDS???

Bama beat Georgia and Georgia then got easily beaten by Texas,who lost to Oklahoma in the big 12 championship and we're then easily manhandled by tua and the tide in the semi finals??

Well done to Clemson,didn't see them blowing out the tide like that. Have the game recorded to watch later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was not expecting to see that box score. Looking forward to catching the game later!

That must have draft implications even for 2020 now, in how Tua will be perceived, although admittedly I say this without having watched any of the game yet.

Lawrence stock continuing to rise and rise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Notre Dame players said it after the semi final: they had competed with them athletically but just didn't execute well in a game against all world opponents where you need to execute perfectly. The narrative was 'lol ND, frauds stealing a playoff spot' when it should have been 'Clemson are arguably one of the greatest CFB teams of all time'. Anyway, the stupidity abounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

brinty wrote: »

You are being sarcastic there RDS???

Bama beat Georgia and Georgia then got easily beaten by Texas,who lost to Oklahoma in the big 12 championship and we're then easily manhandled by tua and the tide in the semi finals??

Well done to Clemson,didn't see them blowing out the tide like that. Have the game recorded to watch later.
    I was being sarcastic, basically the same narrative that was written here about ND after Clemson gave them a hiding.

• Advertisement

Alabama have 5 titles in 10 years. Monumental success & it gets harder & harder every year to have the same drive & determination to come back & do it all once more again.

The SEC is the best conference in NCAAF but there’s a small number of teams i.e Clemson who can beat Alabama on their day & crush them if Alabama have an off day as we’ve seen.

2 fantastic teams & I’d be more surprised if next years final isn’t a repeat game than I would be surprised if it was.

Edit. On a side note, I’m not too big into podcasts but I do listen to them at this time of year for a draft prospectus. I’m a big fan of Mel Kipers pod for ESPN but noticed it hasn’t uploaded any since August.

Anyone any recommendations? Just draft talk.

Advertisement