Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stakes becoming loose in the dry earth

Options
  • 02-07-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up - I've noticed that all of the stakes I have on trees and shrubs have become loose as the drought takes hold and the ground dries out. Wouldn't have noticed but we've had a very blustery few days down here and I wondered why some young trees were leaning over.

Have tried hammering some in deeper with a bit of success. Might not be a serious problem generally but young fruit trees might be more at risk as (hopefully) the fruit matures.
    It may depend on soil types too and some may be better than other but ours is light and gritty and dries to powder very quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I have noticed the same thing here, my garden is a peat soil and has shrunk, cracks are opening up on bare soil that you would lose small children in lol.

Also as the soil shrinks rocks that were just below the surface are now poking their heads up and would do serious damage to a mower if the grass was growing and needed cutting.

Advertisement