Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Castledermot

Options
  • 02-07-2018 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone moved to Castledermot over the past few years? if so, what is it like? I've read old threads with mixed reviews but a lot of them wouldn't apply now as they were before the bypass or during the recession..

We have a 6 month old baby, so any feedback on Schools/creche are welcome

Would be commuting to Blanchardstown a few times a week, thinking around 60/70 mins off peak, is that doable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

tomaso11 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone moved to Castledermot over the past few years? if so, what is it like? I've read old threads with mixed reviews but a lot of them wouldn't apply now as they were before the bypass or during the recession..

Would be commuting to Blanchardstown a few times a week, thinking around 60/70 mins off peak, is that doable?

Tá sé an chiúin. Ró chiúin i mo thuraim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hi,

I live near there, when I worked in Dublin (Blanch too) I used to go via CD to get to the motorway.

Last time I did the commute was about 16months ago in which time two things have happened, traffic volumes have increased and the road works on the N7 upgrade have happened. I always found that the commute up was easy enough, I left at 6:30am and it was a steady 50min drive everyday going up. Coming back is another story.

At the time I did not have flexible hours so I had to hit the N7 at 5pm so I'd get home between 6:10pm and 6:30pm. To have any hope of a clear run you'd need to be hitting the road at 4pm or before and 2pm on a Friday!! I swear I used to spend the week freaking out about Fridays, absolute nightmare.

Obviously the N7 roadworks are compounding matters but once complete it should help overall.

Overall, Castledermot is just about within the acceptable commutable distance as long as you have flexible hours, even a day or two working from home would help immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

Thank you

I work 7-3:30, but those are flexible hours so I could change them if I needed to, also have the chance to work from home 1 or 2 days a week.

Any idea when N7 roadworks will be completed?

Commuting a straight 5 days every week will wear you out VERY fast.

Those 1 - 2 days will provide large relief.

Couple of years left to completion, there is a dedicated website that provides updates http://www.m7upgrade.com/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Commuting a straight 5 days every week will wear you out VERY fast.

Not at all unless you're barely fit and able. Loads commute from Carlow everyday and it's easily manageable the only time it's a pain in the hole is on BH weekends getting home can be horrendous.

I'm not sure why you have Castledermot in mind it's got very little going for it with the exception of ease of access to the motorway personally I'd either move to Carlow or further down to KK.

In saying that it's by no means the worst place to live and they have a decent school there.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not at all unless you're barely fit and able. Loads commute from Carlow everyday and it's easily manageable the only time it's a pain in the hole is on BH weekends getting home can be horrendous.

I'm not sure why you have Castledermot in mind it's got very little going for it with the exception of ease of access to the motorway personally I'd either move to Carlow or further down to KK.

In saying that it's by no means the worst place to live and they have a decent school there.

Castledermot in particular only because we're looking to buy and spotted an hour we like there. But in reality, Carlow or anywhere within an 60/75 mins commute is an option (if the right house is there :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Castledermot in particular only because we're looking to buy and spotted an hour we like there. But in reality, Carlow or anywhere within an 60/75 mins commute is an option (if the right house is there :-) )

Young/first time buying?

I moved to Carlow from Wicklow for an affordable house and a 5 year plan to get back up. It's been 10 years and i'm no closer to moving anywhere ;)

If you want to stay around Dublin I'd look at saving more and buying there. Just my 2c

Young/first time buying?

I moved to Carlow from Wicklow for an affordable house and a 5 year plan to get back up. It's been 10 years and i'm no closer to moving anywhere ;)

If you want to stay around Dublin I'd look at saving more and buying there. Just my 2c

Yes, first time buying, young :) but not in mortgage terms so waiting more time is pushing it.

To each their own, I dont have the temperament to sit on the n7 for 90 mins each evening but I was also lucky to land a job in the south east so my commute is a traffic free 20mins each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MrsMoore

Hi Tomaso, how is the house-hunt going?

I live in Moone, which is one exit before Castledermot on the motorway. The national school in Moone is small, but lovely. I drive to the Red Cow for work, and since the road works started on the M7/N7, my 45 min commute has increased to an hour and a bit. So to get on the M50 for Blanchardstown would be a pretty long commute. In May I began to work from home 3 days a week, which decreased my diesel bill immensely!!

I believe are houses for sale in Crookstown/Ballitore/Timolin, which are all close to the exit before Castledermot. And by being close to the motorway, we can access Carlow, Newbridge and Naas fairly easily.

Ballitore/Crookstown had a brand new national school built a year and a half ago.

There is a creche in Timolin, which opened in the past year. I'm going to send my 2-yr old there in September. A friend of mine used a creche in Castledermot, not sure what the name was, but she was happy with it. I can find out if you are still looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement