Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park By Text - Account Closure Charge

Options
  • 02-07-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was with Park By Text(PBT) in order to pay for parking in my local train station.
    Irish Rail has since changed the contract to a different company ergo I cancelled my PBT account.
    I only had a little over a fiver in the account so requested a refund of that amount - only to be told recently that there is a €5 charge to close any account as per their T&Cs. That's handy for a company that just lost a contract and would have had a number of cancellations.
    Now whether the condition was there all the time - I don't know. Either way its not something I've ever heard of before outside a formal time-based contract (like with a mobile phone package etc)
    Do I have any route to complain here or not?
    Obviously, the amount is immaterial I simply feel this is a little bit of shady practice by what is effectively a clamping company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's clear enough in the Termination section of the T&Cs -€5 administration fee. They may have lost the railway station contract but still operate in many other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

It's clear enough in the Termination section of the T&Cs -€5 administration fee. They may have lost the railway station contract but still operate in many other locations.

Understood; though it's not something I've ever heard of before from a company to charge you to cancel an account when there was no contract.
    Also it may be in the T&Cs NOW but nothing to say/prove it was in the T&Cs when I initially signed up.
    Also, I was never advised of this charge, and may have kept the account open to use at some point in the future rather than effectively have it taken from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Diceicle wrote: »
    Understood; though it's not something I've ever heard of before from a company to charge you to cancel an account when there was no contract.
    Also it may be in the T&Cs NOW but nothing to say/prove it was in the T&Cs when I initially signed up.
    Also, I was never advised of this charge, and may have kept the account open to use at some point in the future rather than effectively have it taken from me.

Archive.org is handy for finding old versions of T+Cs.

Looks like it was there in 2013 (section 4.3) and as far back as 2012, although oddly that says £5.

Although I'd agree it's not something you'd normally expect and should be highlighted up front, not just in the T+Cs

Advertisement