Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for an alternative for N26 / Fire

• 02-07-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I am looking tfor an alternative for N26, I do like the bank but their transaction (ATM) rates are very high.
    I tried Fire bank but their app sucks and I don't like their  high transaction fee between GBP/EUR
    Transferwise does not support Apple Pay

Monzo (UK) Doesn't support anything, no EUR payments etc
    Starling (UK) is a good bank but the problem is that payments made to my IBAN are not arriving and most of the time i grt invalid IBAN even though they are connected to swift.

I would like the following:

- Free bank account with good app and incoming / outgoing notifications
    - Receiving money (both GBP and EUR) should be free
    - No transaction fees, no high currency fees (EUR/GBP separated would be perfect, from GBP to any other UK bank should be realtime; with fire it takes a day but starling -> monzo is realtime)
    - Apple Pay supported
    - Able to deposit fash (not a must)
    - Joint accounts (not a must but would be nice)
    - Interest rates would be nice

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Asmooh wrote:
    I am looking tfor an alternative for N26, I do like the bank but their transaction (ATM) rates are very high. I tried Fire bank but their app sucks and I don't like their high transaction fee between GBP/EUR Transferwise does not support Apple Pay

Revolut free version ticks some but not all of your requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Your wishlist is way to big to find an alternative, the "Able to deposit fash" you won't be able to do with most fintech providers, unless you are in the UK and can use a post office.

Revolut might be your best bet at this time as it gives you most of your list (bar cash and apple pay) including the ability to have direct debits from the EUR IBAN. It's free but it's going to cost you dearly for ATM transactions. So if you do loads of cash via ATM than the cost is high.

If you don't mind modest fees, you could look at Monese who offer an € account variant but it charges 1€ per ATM withdraw and 2% currency conversation unless you sign up for the fee based model.

Transferwise borderless account also is good for multiple currencies but again as all fintech they charge a premium for ATM withdraws (2% over 200€. Plus you can't do anything like direct debits etc.

You possibly might fare best by getting an Irish account to avail of free ATM withdraws (beside the goverment tax) and combining it with Revolut. Giving that for example Revolut to KBC is usualy same day for transfers that could be an option.

But free banking cross currency is still a pipe dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Thanks all all the updates people.
    I don't use cash at all but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have it.

Does revolut has apple pay support?

p.s. im living in the UK but working in Ireland

Asmooh wrote: »
    Thanks all all the updates people.
    I don't use cash at all but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have it.

Does revolut has apple pay support?

Not at this point, they were going to announce something major on 1st of June but the payment outage at GPS (their processor) made that a lower priority.

One hopes apple pay and google pay are coming soon. German customers will get google pay very soon, so hopefully google/apple is not to far off for Irish customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Okay I have signed up to Revolut, one thing ive noticed is that its slow.

Normally when I transfer to an UK account its realtime.

Not with revolut, transfered from monzo to revolut and its still not there (hour ago) 
    if i transfer from santander -> monzo or starling its straight away, other way around as well.

edit: doesn't allow me to sent money either.

edit 2: From Starling -> Revolut is also not real time

edit3: i read very negative things about revolut on their board about missing payments and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

EBS money manager is a FREE bricks and mortar option for Rep of Ireland.

Asmooh wrote: »
    Okay I have signed up to Revolut, one thing ive noticed is that its slow.

Normally when I transfer to an UK account its realtime.

Not with revolut, transfered from monzo to revolut and its still not there (hour ago) 
    if i transfer from santander -> monzo or starling its straight away, other way around as well.

edit: doesn't allow me to sent money either.

edit 2: From Starling -> Revolut is also not real time

edit3: i read very negative things about revolut on their board about missing payments and stuff

Revolut does not participate in faster payment, so transfer are not as quick as with banks that do participate that like the ones you mention above.

Advertisement