Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not carrying a Driving license

Options
  • 02-07-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Is it absolutely necessary to carry a driving license when driving on public roads. If I hold a valid driving license, but do not have it on me at the time when garda checks, is it an offence?

I was told by my insurance company that if you fail to produce a driving license, the Garda give you 5 days to produce it in a Garda station. (is it too late by that time and you have already committed the offence by not carrying it in the first place?)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

once you produce it at a garda station within the time given there is no offence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

I got pulled over last week in my car, didn't have my licence on me as I had left it in my work van. The Garda told me she'd give me a few days to produce but I should really have it with me in the car. Apparently if the traffic corps stopped me they wouldn't be so kind and I'd get a fine or points, can't remember which.

May have been scare tactics or something by her but that's what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm pretty sure that it is an offence not to carry your driving licence while you are driving! Citizens Information certainly think so - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/full_driving_licence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

It is absolutely an offense not to carry your license whilst driving.

Requirement to carry driving licence while driving vehicle.

25.—The following section is inserted in the Principal Act in substitution for section 40 of that Act:
    “40.—(1) (a) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 samach

randomrb wrote: »
    once you produce it at a garda station within the time given there is no offence

Interesting...

I just searched and the 1994 road traffic act says its an offence. look at 40.—(1) here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/25/enacted/en/html

Is there a new traffic act which makes this invalid?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Seems to be an offence:

40.—(1) (a) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(b) Where a person of whom the production of a driving licence is demanded under this section refuses or fails to produce the licence there and then, a member of the Garda Síochána may require the person to produce within 10 days after the date of the said requirement the licence in person to a member of the Garda Síochána at a Garda Síochána station to be named by the person at the time of the requirement and, if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence, he shall be guilty of an offence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/25/enacted/en/html

I'd be guilty of not carrying mine around, it doesn't fit in the wallet.

I think the latest ones are smaller?

(b) Where a person of whom the production of a driving licence is demanded under this section refuses or fails to produce the licence there and then, a member of the Garda Síochána may require the person to produce within 10 days after the date of the said requirement the licence in person to a member of the Garda Síochána at a Garda Síochána station to be named by the person at the time of the requirement and, if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence, he shall be guilty of an offence.

It is in the guards discretion but once they give you the option and you present it within the time there is no offence

samach wrote: »
    I(is it too late by that time and you have already committed the offence by not carrying it in the first place?)

Just to clarify my point was in relation to this part of OP's question. It is essentially in the guards discretion. If they give you ten days to present your licence and you comply it is not an offence. However if they are particularly difficult they can make it an offence straight away and not give you a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 samach

randomrb wrote: »
    Just to clarify my point was in relation to this part of OP's question. It is essentially in the guards discretion. If they give you ten days to present your licence and you comply it is not an offence. However if they are particularly difficult they can make it an offence straight away and not give you a chance.

gotcha. Thanks for the clarification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Allinall wrote: »
    It is absolutely an offense not to carry your license whilst driving.

Requirement to carry driving licence while driving vehicle.

25.—The following section is inserted in the Principal Act in substitution for section 40 of that Act:
    “40.—(1) (a) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

That's it there in a nutshell, a female member of AGS may use her discretion and ask the driver to produce it a station, whereas the legislation requires a male garda to have it produced there and then.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hoagy wrote: »
    Seems to be an offence:

40.—(1) (a) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/25/enacted/en/html

I'd be guilty of not carrying mine around, it doesn't fit in the wallet.

I think the latest ones are smaller?

So does this mean that you don't have to produce if you are accompanying a Learners Permit holder and a Garda requests your licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

In some countries, if a driver does not have a licence when one is demanded by the police, the driver is told to get out of the car. The car is taken away by the police and will only be returned to the driver when he shows up with the licence and pays the appropriate charge for storage. The nonsense that's tolerated in this country with 10 days to produce and case being struck out when people show up in court with licences is ridiculous. It wastes police time and taxpayer's money for absolutely no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

dense wrote: »
    That's it there in a nutshell, a female member of AGS may use her discretion and ask the driver to produce it a station, whereas the legislation requires a male garda to have it produced there and then.

:P

Legislation recognises gender equality :)

Anywhere you see "him", "her", "he", "she" etc, also means the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm surprised by this - always thought you had some time to produce it. Would hate to meet a narky garda when I had forgotten it.

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm surprised by this - always thought you had some time to produce it. Would hate to meet a narky garda when I had forgotten it.

That is at the discretion of the Guard weather or not to allow you 10 days to produce, most afford this option but they don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

GM228 wrote: »
    That is at the discretion of the Guard weather or not to allow you 10 days to produce, most afford this option but they don't have to.

Any idea why the discretionary option was left in?
    It causes some confusion as can be seen here.

I wonder was it intended to be revoked at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are potentially two distinct offences....

1. Not carrying a valid driving licence when stopped by a Garda i.e. not being able to produce on the spot.

2. Not being the holder of a current driving licence - this is regardless of where the physical licence is at the time you are pulled over.

So if you can't produce the licence on the spot but you do have the licence at home, giving you the option to produce it allows you to avoid being summonsed for offence #2 above.

And as posters have pointed out, a lot of Gardai will overlook the fact that you didn't have the licence on you when you were stopped if you manage to produce a valid licence within 10 days at a Garda station nominated by you.

I wonder was it intended to be revoked at some point?

It makes sense to have it there as it gives people a chance to produce and also cuts out a lot of unnecessary court time.

I doubt it, the requirement was first introduced in 1933 (was then 5 days) and increased to 10 days in 1961 and has stayed in legislation through several amendments of the appropriate section the last being 2011.

Such an important lawful request will never be repealed, to do so would create a massive headache for the courts system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It makes sense to have it there as it gives people a chance to produce and also cuts out a lot of unnecessary court time.

I doubt it, the requirement was first introduced in 1933 (was then 5 days) and increased to 10 days in 1961 and has stayed in legislation through several amendments of the appropriate section the last being 2011.

Such an important lawful request will never be repealed, to do so would create a massive headache for the courts system.

Why not make it clearer that you can have upto 10 days to produce it. As it stands now the 10 days is if the garda is in a good mood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I was stopped recently and was asked to produce licence . I handed it over , but the Garda did not look at it . He must have been just testing me to see if I had it with me .

Then I had to blow in the breathalyser next.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why not make it clearer that you can have upto 10 days to produce it. As it stands now the 10 days is if the garda is in a good mood

Why make it clearer, it's discretionary.

You are supposed to carry your licence with you at all times, that's what needs to be made clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I was stopped recently and was asked to produce licence . I handed it over , but the Garda did not look at it . He must have been just testing me to see if I had it with me .

Then I had to blow in the breathalyser next.

That may have been because if you don't have your driving licence with you when you're stopped, you are tested at the lower alcohol limit which applies to learner drivers or professional drivers, e.g.,

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/16987-valid-license-would-have-prevented-driving-ban-in-drink-driving-case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

In some countries, if a driver does not have a licence when one is demanded by the police, the driver is told to get out of the car. The car is taken away by the police and will only be returned to the driver when he shows up with the licence and pays the appropriate charge for storage. The nonsense that's tolerated in this country with 10 days to produce and case being struck out when people show up in court with licences is ridiculous. It wastes police time and taxpayer's money for absolutely no good reason.

You say nonsense, I say common sense.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    That may have been because if you don't have your driving licence with you when you're stopped, you are tested at the lower alcohol limit which applies to learner drivers or professional drivers, e.g.,

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/16987-valid-license-would-have-prevented-driving-ban-in-drink-driving-case

The lower limits only apply if you actually don't have a licence, if you subsequently produced a valid full licence which you held at the time the *lower limit does not apply.

*Unless you are a novice driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The lower limits only apply if you actually don't have a licence, if you subsequently produced a valid licence which you held at the time the lower limit does not apply.
    Are the limits for being arrested the same for learners and fulls? Wouldn't they have to proceed (at the time) as if the lower limit applied? It's fine if you can fix it after but still a lot of hassle to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What does 'produce' it mean? Does the garda have to have it in his/her possession ? Is it sufficient for you to hold it and they to read it? Can they demand to hold it? Who owns it?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are the limits for being arrested the same for learners and fulls? Wouldn't they have to proceed (at the time) as if the lower limit applied? It's fine if you can fix it after but still a lot of hassle to go through.

No the limits are lower for learner, professional, novice and those who don't have a licence for the vehicle concerned.

The last one especially can catch a few people out, you could still have a full B licence for exampleand be found driving a category which you don't have, you are then subject to the lower limits, the BE licence is where a few people have been caught out with this one.

bobbyss wrote: »
    What does 'produce' it mean? Does the garda have to have it in his/her possession ? Is it sufficient for you to hold it and they to read it? Can they demand to hold it? Who owns it?

Produce means show to the Garda your licence and allow them to read it, nothing says who can/can't hold it, but by refusing to allow them hold it it could be inferred that you are failing to allow them to read it properly, best to air on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No the limits are lower for learner, professional, novice and those who don't have a licence for the vehicle concerned.
    So the lower limits apply even if you have a license but can't produce it immediately.

Allthedoyles situation could have been them checking which licence they had to know which limit to test at.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    So the lower limits apply even if you have a license but can't produce it immediately.

Allthedoyles situation could have been them checking which licence they had to know which limit to test at.

No, production or not has no bearing on the limits.

The limits are based on the type of licence you hold at the time, not weather or not it is in your possession at the time.

Advertisement