Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy components for building

Options
  • 02-07-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My son is going building his first pc and we are trying to figure out the cheapest online purchases. Obviously the US is probably cheapest but we don't want to get caught with duty. Amazon seems good but the prices have jumped a good bit over the last few days for whatever reason. He's looking to buy a graphics card (1060 TI) and went to buy on amazon but the price had jumped by £68 since yesterday! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Wailin wrote: »
    Hi folks

My son is going building his first pc and we are trying to figure out the cheapest online purchases. Obviously the US is probably cheapest but we don't want to get caught with duty. Amazon seems good but the prices have jumped a good bit over the last few days for whatever reason. He's looking to buy a graphics card (1060 TI) and went to buy on amazon but the price had jumped by £68 since yesterday! Any help appreciated.
    There is no 1060TI. There is however a 3GB version and a 6GB version that, if they come from the same manufacturer, can look exactly the same. There would probably be £50-60 difference between the two models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I typically just buy from Amazon. Shopping around alot of other places usually ends up adding on quite a bit of delivery charge.
    Amazon delivery - once you are over a certain price (which you usually are when buying PC gear) is free providing its "dispatched by Amazon".
    Also their customer support has been second to none of the years for me.. just in case you run into some sort of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I recently had to buy a graphics card and google threw up https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ as having the best price for it. A UK crowd, I had bought a refurbished laptop from them also many moons ago. They seem to have cpus/motherboards in aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Amazon, simply because I can return/replace the parts without any issues or fees on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Another vote for Amazon from me as there very hard to beat on price and the delivery charges don't bite to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cheers guys. I'll stick with amazon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I was using this site https://pcpartpicker.com/ but ended up just going back to amazon. Far easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I bet Amazon are pushing up their prices because Prime Day is coming up on 17th July so they want to make the discounts look bigger.

Download a browser attachment called "camelizer" and you can get a graph of price vs time for anything on Amazon.

P.S. Another vote for Amazon - price is usually very close to the cheapest and when you add in free delivery and the excellent after sales service it's hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I bet Amazon are pushing up their prices because Prime Day is coming up on 17th July so they want to make the discounts look bigger.

Download a browser attachment called "camelizer" and you can get a graph of price vs time for anything on Amazon.

P.S. Another vote for Amazon - price is usually very close to the cheapest and when you add in free delivery and the excellent after sales service it's hard to beat.

Awesome addon but Checking out ram prices with it makes me a sad panda :(

But GPU prices from when I bought to now cheer me up somewhat :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I recently had to buy a graphics card and google threw up https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ as having the best price for it. A UK crowd, I had bought a refurbished laptop from them also many moons ago. They seem to have cpus/motherboards in aswell.

Had a bad experience with them last year. They shipped a dud laptop and the returns and refund process was difficult and slow. Luck of the draw and if the stuff all works when received their prices are good. Personally, I won't be using them again. Mostly use dab4work these days which is now BTdirect, maybe no better on returns but touch wood everything shipped so far has been good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Don't forget to use PC part picker to spec out your build.

Will also show you the best prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Remouad wrote: »
    Don't forget to use PC part picker to spec out your build.

Will also show you the best prices.

I find Geizhals/Skinflint better for finding actual stock than PC Partpicker at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Definitely use Amazon. I got a 980ti for 350e a few years back. Have a screw missing on backplate and they have a partial refund??? Excellent for returns too.
    Also I used elara.ie for a lot of parts. They'd be quicker than Amazon but you mightn't get as good a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Go to http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list - after that click on 'video card' on the sidebar, and on the sidebar in that link select either '1050 TI', '1060 3GB' or '1060 6GB' under the 'chipset' heading... scroll back up to the top of the page and click to sort by price.

The other parts in the computer won't impact this as graphics cards work independently of them (e.g. do not need specific motherboards, etc) and all three of those mentioned above are low on power consumption. Also do not worry about brand, specific models, etc... pretty much a card is a card is a card unless you're a serious, serious enthusiast.

Best price on a 1060 6GB right now on there is £239 (€270-ish) and for a 1050 TI is £145 (€165-ish). The card I own is extremely similar to a 1060 while I have used the 1050 TI in ones I have built for others - you get a lot more out of the 1060 and I think he would appreciate it more (obviously with the caveat of becoming the house chore slave for the summer for the extra money :p ), though the 1050 TI is very good value for it's price.

Assuming the screen resolution is 1080p he would be able to more or less the highest settings on the 1060 6GB for any game; on a 1050 TI he will be more on about medium settings (which still are typically higher quality than an Xbox or Playstation). This also depends on the CPU chip, but assuming the one he has got is called AMD Ryzen 1600/2600/or Intel 8100/8400/8500/8600 they'll all more than get the job done.

If possible, I would say go with Amazon as this is probably the single most expensive part of the computer and their 30 day returns policy/attitude is ridiculously good on the tiny, tiny chance that something goes wrong in delivery or when building it. If anywhere with the best price does not deliver to Ireland, register with Parcel Motel who are excellent and will get it to you for €3.95 only a day (or two at the most) after they receive it.

These were also the best of each I could find on skinflint.co.uk:
    £235 1060 6GB - https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/palit-geforce-gtx-1060-dual-6gb-gddr5-graphics-card-ne51060015j9-1061d/version.asp?tduid=ebe9bf4a3ae15e145af524f140e39a70&utm_source=Skinflint+UK_1615483&utm_medium=tradedoubler
    £148 1050 TI - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N8RLXGC?creative=22110&creativeASIN=B01N8RLXGC&linkCode=df0&tag=geizhals07-21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

If it’s Cork you are op, cork builders providers would be the best in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Since it hasn't been mentioned, overclockers.co.uk are very good. Prices are competitive with amazon for the most part, but they include Haribo when possible in the box to sweeten the deal. Prices don't show irish VAT (23% irish rate vs 20% english rate) until checkout, so prices do jump. Use the basket and set the delivery to Ireland to see the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Since it hasn't been mentioned, overclockers.co.uk are very good. Prices are competitive with amazon for the most part, but they include Haribo when possible in the box to sweeten the deal. Prices don't show irish VAT (23% irish rate vs 20% english rate) until checkout, so prices do jump. Use the basket and set the delivery to Ireland to see the correct price.

I use OverclockersUk,

I have to say there great, really easy to deal with returns are not a problem, I returned a Phanteks case. with a dent on a power supply shroud. They sent me a new one.

Great advice really easy to deal with :cool:

The beauty of it is you can speak to them and you can also have peace of mind if there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Xenoronin wrote: »

Just a heads up, Amazon have started to do this recently (at least the UK site). It seems to only be applied at checkout. I've contacted them several times due to it (thinking it was a pricing issue). Sometimes they'll revert but recently they said it was the 23% vat.. No way of see the actual price prior to checkout yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks for the helpful advice all. He ordered his 1060 3gb from amazon.de last week, a bit cheaper than the uk site. All other components ordered too so just waiting for them to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Jennehy wrote: »
    If it’s Cork you are op, cork builders providers would be the best in the city.

always a good idea to actually read the first post

• Advertisement
Advertisement