Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month trial for apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you get an offer for what you anticipate to be your "dream job".. Go For It!
    Opportunity doesn't knock too often on the door, so like someone throwing a ball to you, you can decide to catch it or let it bounce on past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jettamk6

Siege of jadotville was a peacekeeping mission.
    Army families are always in the paper about how rough they have it.

OH i know i wasnt belittling the army sure i want to join them i was just stating compared to other countries its a lot safer i completely respect them ive seen how it can build a strong character within a person.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you get an offer for what you anticipate to be your "dream job".. Go For It!
    Opportunity doesn't knock too often on the door, so like someone throwing a ball to you, you can decide to catch it or let it bounce on past you.

thats only if i hear anything back from the defence forces if not the trades for me

salmocab wrote: »
    Things you learn there will translate into a lot of industries. Lots of tradesmen move on by the time they are 40ish to other related roles or working for themselves. Working on ships electrically or mechanically would stand to you on another job which by the time you leave the navy you might have been thinking of moving on from plumbing at that stage anyway.

yes but eletrical and mechanical is out of my depth (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not being smart but there's no guarantee that you'll get the army or navy. Take the apprentice job and if you do get offered the army or navy, then you have a choice to make.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not being smart but there's no guarantee that you'll get the army or navy. Take the apprentice job and if you do get offered the army or navy, then you have a choice to make.
    Thanks its just the naval service has a lot of similarities in volunteer work i do which is in search and rescue

Thanks for all the replies sorry for going of topic with a few of my questions.
    I have one more question in regards to travel is there any grant or scheme that helps apprentices with travel expenses?

jettamk6 wrote: »
    Thanks its just the naval service has a lot of similarities in volunteer work i do which is in search and rescue

I'd say the similarities begin and end with boats and water. Very different from being in the RNLI here.

Check out the FAQs below if you are into the navy.

http://www.military.ie/ie/an-tseirbhis-chabhlaigh/faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

thats only if i hear anything back from the defence forces if not the trades for me

We actually took on an apprentice in third phase. He paused his apprenticeship for years and went to army. We took him on after he left the army because we needed someone with a bit of knowledge and were not looking for 1st year apprentice. He then finished his apprenticeship with us 10 years later.

I suspect it's harder to get back into apprenticeship but it's not impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Plumber or sparks is one of the best jobs to get qualified in.

The amount of nixers that can come from it is endless.

Serious money to be made.

• Advertisement

I'd say the similarities begin and end with boats and water. Very different from being in the RNLI here.

Check out the FAQs below if you are into the navy.

http://www.military.ie/ie/an-tseirbhis-chabhlaigh/faq/

thanks I have read up on the naval service and spoken to people who have served. I know search and rescue inst a main part of it but i know its an element of it with the likes of helping vessels in distress and taking part in searchs at sea and not to mention the mediterean rescues they have been in involved in.
    And i hope this is the last response in regards to the navy as i have another question in regards to travel expenses i would like answered thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

yes but eletrical and mechanical is out of my depth (no pun intended)

Ah I doubt it, don’t sell yourself short. If you worried about say leaving results I got a terrible leaving and had no problems in tech. It will be what you make of it.

Good lad. I done it as a young chap and today I spent out in the blistering heat working on the tan while fiddling about with copper pipes. Kind of like being at the beech but with copper instead of sandcastles. Some days are horrible but the more skilled and experienced you get the more you get to paw the horrible work over to the apprentices.
    So many jobs will be done by computers by the time you are in your 40s so the more skilled you are by then the better.
    Thank you would you happen to have any knowledge of what my tree month trial period will involve as i have no experience in plumbing and the only site experience i have is from fitting windows for 3 months during the winter and even then i was mostly cleaning up and fetching tools etc

If he wants you to work for cash, it probably won't lead to a proper apprenticeship.

I'd take it if it isn't for cash.

Im hopeful it isnt even if it is i might take it as im desperate for work

Im hopeful it isnt even if it is i might take it as im desperate for work

Take it so. And if something better comes along, then take that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Thank you would you happen to have any knowledge of what my tree month trial period will involve as i have no experience in plumbing and the only site experience i have is from fitting windows for 3 months during the winter and even then i was mostly cleaning up and fetching tools etc

Exactly that. If you are really good at cleaning up and fetching stuff and likeable a qualified fella might start teaching you stuff like welding or cupro or solder of any of the other million skills you end up having. If you are a muppet with a smart lip and a grumpy face probably just cleaning and fetching.

My number one tip would be don’t be waffling in a mans ear all day about your stuff you wanna talk about. If the qualified fella wants to chat all day he will chat all day but usually he is busy and just wants to concentrate on not flooding the place or blowing it up. Sometimes he’s doing maths or shopping lists for materials in his head and doesn’t want to hear about the time you worked in some job and something happened. This is something young lads don’t realize about most older lads. We get peed off yapping after awhile and don’t mind silences.

Take it so. And if something better comes along, then take that.

cheers everyones so nice on this i was kind of bracing myself for some negativity from some folks.

Exactly that. If you are really good at cleaning up and fetching stuff and likeable a qualified fella might start teaching you stuff like welding or cupro or solder of any of the other million skills you end up having. If you are a muppet with a smart lip and a grumpy face probably just cleaning and fetching.

My number one tip would be don’t be waffling in a mans ear all day about your stuff you wanna talk about. If the qualified fella wants to chat all day he will chat all day but usually he is busy and just wants to concentrate on not flooding the place or blowing it up. Sometimes he’s doing maths or shopping lists for materials in his head and doesn’t want to hear about the time you worked in some job and something happened. This is something young lads don’t realize about most older lads. We get peed off yapping after awhile and don’t mind silences.

thanks for your reply unfortunately i by default have a grumpy face (always been asked whats wrong or told to smile when nothings wrong)
    As for the waffling i will keep my lip bit even tho i hate awkward silences its just in my nature. again love the feedback an thanks for not being a right arse to me

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

salmocab wrote:
    This trial thing is nonsense its a way of getting to pay you for 15 months as a first year, sure they could let you go after 3 months if you werent working out regardless of trial period or not. You should be registered from within a few days of when you start with FAS. I think this was cracked down on a few years back to cut out this nonsense. Although that said I realise its easy for me to give out when I'm not the one looking to start an apprenticeship and get a start in the trade.

My god thats bull****. While on probation and not registered as an apprentice you get minimum wage. All the big boys like Mercury Jones etc do it this way. On the other hand what they can do is pay you first year rate and at the time they register you backdate your registration start date to your employment start date which means you will get your 2nd year rate 12 months post start date. If they dont a quick call to the union will sort it out.

My god thats bull****. While on probation and not registered as an apprentice you get minimum wage. All the big boys like Mercury Jones etc do it this way. On the other hand what they can do is pay you first year rate and at the time they register you backdate your registration start date to your employment start date which means you will get your 2nd year rate 12 months post start date. If they dont a quick call to the union will sort it out.

The ‘big boys’ might do it now because they have to but smaller operators certainly don’t, Ive worked for several companies over the years who had first years for well over the year mark, it was nearly standard practice during the recession. I understand young lads not kicking up though as they just wanted to get their apprenticeship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask about probation period too. Agency gave me a 3-month contract, they said it's a probation period. According contract I have to give them 1 month notice if I want to leave. I think 1 month notice is too much in given circumstances. Am I right or no?

Uboat wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'd like to ask about probation period too. Agency gave me a 3-month contract, they said it's a probation period. According contract I have to give them 1 month notice if I want to leave. I think 1 month notice is too much in given circumstances. Am I right or no?

Are you an apprentice through an agency?

Are you an apprentice through an agency?

No, I am not.

I have to give them 1 month notice.
    They can fire me at any moment.
    I think something wrong here. Being on probation period and employed only for 7 weeks, if I want to leave now I have to give them 1 month notice.

No, I am not.

Oh sorry, if they have to give you a month then it’s reasonable that you have to give them a month but if they can drop you quickly then no it’s not, however if you signed a contract then your stuck with it although if you walked they probably wouldn’t do much truth be told.

Oh sorry, if they have to give you a month then it’s reasonable that you have to give them a month but if they can drop you quickly then no it’s not, however if you signed a contract then your stuck with it although if you walked they probably wouldn’t do much truth be told.

Can they keep my money as punishment for leaving earlier then contract says? Is this allowed by law? It's sounds crazy but I have to ask because I've heard a lot of bad stories about agencies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP you'll be a first year for 15 months.

This can be an issue later on if you think you are a 3 Rd year in college but your registration date is 3 months behind, you might only get 2nd year rate

Can they keep my money as punishment for leaving earlier then contract says? Is this allowed by law? It's sounds crazy but I have to ask because I've heard a lot of bad stories about agencies.

Perfectly honest I don’t know but I’d imagine withholding your money wouldn’t be allowed but I’m not the man to know

Perfectly honest I don’t know but I’d imagine withholding your money wouldn’t be allowed but I’m not the man to know

ok

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    OP you'll be a first year for 15 months.

This can be an issue later on if you think you are a 3 Rd year in college but your registration date is 3 months behind, you might only get 2nd year rate

but from my understanding most places do a 3 month trial?

Advertisement