Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month trial for apprenticeship

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Uboat wrote:
    I'd like to ask about probation period too. Agency gave me a 3-month contract, they said it's a probation period. According contract I have to give them 1 month notice if I want to leave. I think 1 month notice is too much in given circumstances. Am I

It should say in your contact what the notice period is both ways. Normally it depends on how your paid , weekly or monthly.

1 month is perfectly reasonable, they will need to replace you & that takes time. Probably use your holidays as part of the notice

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

jettamk6 wrote: »
    but from my understanding most places do a 3 month trial?

its illegal to pay less than minimum wage to an "apprentice" not registered with solas

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Uboat wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'd like to ask about probation period too. Agency gave me a 3-month contract, they said it's a probation period. According contract I have to give them 1 month notice if I want to leave. I think 1 month notice is too much in given circumstances. Am I right or no?

there'll be a line relating to irish law or something in your contract

look up citizens advice but notice periods by law are something like:
    no notice - up to 6 months
    1 week notice- 6 months - 1 yr
    2 weeks notice - 1yr - 2 yrs
    1 months notice - > 2yrs

anything outside that is difficult to enforce unless very specific in a contract

very unlikely 1 months notice could be enforced for 3 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dubh47

Hellrazer wrote: »
    It's actually not a way to get an apprentice to work for 15 months as a first year.Its very very difficult to get rid of an apprentice once you have registered them with Solas and there are strict rules that stop you taking on another one for a set period of time so you need that person to be the right person before registering them.

I give a one or two month trial to all of mine and believe me that trial has saved me months of hardship.
    You get lads who think it will be great to be an apprentice but don't actually realise that the first 2 years are spent as a general labourer ,emptying bins,doing the crap work for **** wages when they're friends are out working in a minimum paid job earning more than the apprentice.

A lot leave within the first month to go and work in a similar role and don't think longer term.
    trail is fine the issue is should u be paid as a apprentice when ur not signed up ur apprenticeship only starts the day u are reg. paying someone first year rate on a trail is not legal it should be at least minimum wage

Advertisement