Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping To USA

Options
  • 02-07-2018 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I'm starting to export and the shipping costs are killing me.
    I'm only sending 1-3 parcels a week using anpost at the moment. Is there another option. I've googled it and haven't come up with anything a lot better.

Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just like anything in business, once you get any decent volume, An Post will do volume rates which are competitive.

Also, try and manage the size and weight of the package - under 2kg and about the size of a shoebox

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Call An Post and ask to speak to your regional rep. Ask them about IBMS postage. This postage is not signed for by the end customer but it is extremely cheap. See the attachment for pricing in 2017.

IBMS can be good for postage of goods of modest RRP that are not easily resold.

tacofries wrote: »
    Call An Post and ask to speak to your regional rep. Ask them about IBMS postage. This postage is not signed for by the end customer but it is extremely cheap. See the attachment for pricing in 2017.

IBMS can be good for postage of goods of modest RRP that are not easily resold.

the B in IBMS stands for Bulk - and the numbers have to be substantial (in the hundreds per week for packets), so it would be of no use to the OP.

Standard contract rates for sending average 20 per week internationally are as follows (sample of countries)

1st kg / each extra kg

USA 16.24 / 1.91
    UK 8.31 up to 10kg
    France 12.80/1.64
    Belgium 9.50 /0.99
    Germany 9.80 / 1.57

All above = priority signed for with insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

a bit off topic from OP, but instead of going to consumer issues forum, i guess people would know better here, recently sent regular sized letter registered within ire and it cost me 8e smth, just told wanted it registered to get tracking no next day delivery guaranteed etc, is that right cost, or was it my mistake not saying just tracked,as dont see difference.

as thinking to sell online and would need tracked mail, but if its 8e an envelope that would be overkill for me, since signed gives tiny bit of insurance that it got delivered.

scamalert wrote: »
    a bit off topic from OP, but instead of going to consumer issues forum, i guess people would know better here, recently sent regular sized letter registered within ire and it cost me 8e smth, just told wanted it registered to get tracking no next day delivery guaranteed etc, is that right cost, or was it my mistake not saying just tracked,as dont see difference.

as thinking to sell online and would need tracked mail, but if its 8e an envelope that would be overkill for me, since signed gives tiny bit of insurance that it got delivered.

Registered gives you insurance as well as verifiable signed delivery. Price also includes vat. There's no vat on standard post.

But like any business transaction, volume gets discounts.

We can send a 20kg parcel to anywhere in Ireland for under €4 - tracked and insured and delivered next day.

But we send an average of 400 parcels a week, all boxes are placed in cages and collected by a truck and brought direct to Portlaoise.

Whereas a single item needs to be sent from a post office and needs human interaction and this adds to the cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement