Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Interesting factoid. And it hurts me a little deep down inside when a newspaper says "oxygen tanks".
    It's like a spokesperson for the Garda Traffic Corps saying " fasht lane".
    As for diving equipment, the basic tank and regulator wouldn't have changed that much over the years? Happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Someone asked last night and it set me wondering too .Do we know if the boys went into the cave by a different route of did they enter via the same narrow passages ? Or did they end up on that ledge by a wider route that then flooded ?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Great report in the Guardian this morning .. .. you can read the full report below... but heres some excerpts... the more I hear the more my admiration grows for the operations complexity and human resolve. 
    Over a 100 divers and rescuers spread along the 4km cave system to help the group move thru the cave, with 19 'elite' rescuers assigned to ferry the last group out . Shortly after the last group gets out, the pumps failed and water started rising with some people still up to 1.5km inside and they had to scramble out. 
    Its still a good story, faith in humanity restored, and the thread just confirmed that judging by 90% of the comments. 

Divers and rescue workers were still more than 1.5km inside the cave clearing up equipment when the main pump failed, leading water levels to rapidly increase, three Australian divers involved in the operation told the Guardian on Wednesday, in the first detailed account of the mission to be published.
    The trio, stationed at “chamber three”, a base inside the cave, said they heard screaming and saw a rush of head torches from deeper inside the tunnel as workers scrambled to reach dry ground.
    “The screams started coming because the main pumps failed and the water started rising,” said one of the divers, speaking anonymously because he is not authorised to comment.
    Six Australian police divers and one navy diver spent 75 hours in that cave, McEwen said, “moving approximately 20 tonnes of equipment through the caving system”.
    The remaining 100 workers inside the cave frantically rushed to the exit and were out less than an hour later, including the last three Thai navy Seals and medic who had spent much of the past week keeping vigil with the trapped boys.
    An elite team of 19 divers were involved in ferrying the boys and their 25-year-old coach the approximately 3.2km path from the muddy slope where they had been sheltering to the outside world.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/11/thailand-cave-rescue-water-pumps-failed-just-after-last-boy-escaped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Looks like we have one of the rescue heros in Ireland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/meet-the-irish-based-cave-diver-who-risked-his-life-to-rescue-the-boys-in-thailand-854378.html

An Irish-based cave diver was part of the international team who helped rescue the 12 boys and their coach in Thailand yesterday.

Jim Warny from Belgium is a member of the Irish Cave Rescue Organisation and lives in Ennis, Co.Clare.

He flew out on Friday to assist in the mission after an appeal from Thai authorities.

I tip my hat to you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Saman Kunan died during the rescue but he seems to be glossed over by much if the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That Dutch newspaper editor knew exactly what he was doing...

383f48f0d87c1eddc1402dd6aec09a54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Someone asked last night and it set me wondering too .Do we know if the boys went into the cave by a different route of did they enter via the same narrow passages ? Or did they end up on that ledge by a wider route that then flooded ?

Hi. I was wondering the same too.
    Can anyone comment ?

obi604 wrote: »
    Can anyone comment ?

I'm not completely certain but all the media reports say the bikes and football gear were found at 'the entrance' so I believe there's only 1 entrance.

During the initial search they found their footprints at at least 1, possibly 2 locations along the 4km route, so again I think there was only 1 route to where they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

obi604 wrote: »
    Can anyone comment ?

I would have thought the rushing waters and silt narrowed passageways and possibly changed the shape of the cave at the narrower junctions. That's my guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

josip wrote: »
    I'm not completely certain but all the media reports say the bikes and football gear were found at 'the entrance' so I believe there's only 1 entrance.

During the initial search they found their footprints at at least 1, possibly 2 locations along the 4km route, so again I think there was only 1 route to where they were.

Certainly all the diagrams I've seen would indicated there was only one way in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I'm sure the divers, etc will be able to bring us all up to speed. I think up until now they had more to be at!!

I know during the initial search, they described it as a labyrinth of caves and even during the search they said that it was a maze. I would say something flooded on them and maybe they couldn't get a pump far enough to pump it out?

Just my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Imagine what it must have been like for those boys, when the two British divers emerged from the water in front of them after they had been days in the dark with nothing. The first thing they probably saw was a torch-light in the distance. They must have thought they werre dreaming. From the pics we've seen, they all seemed rather quiet - no shouting or cheering. They were smiling, but quite subdued, from what we've seen. I wonder did they really believe they would be rescued, considering the conditions.

No doubt we will hear lots of stories, once they start talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

acai berry wrote: »
    Imagine what it must have been like for those boys, when the two British divers emerged from the water in front of them after they had been days in the dark with nothing. The first thing they probably saw was a torch-light in the distance. They must have thought they werre dreaming. From the pics we've seen, they all seemed rather quiet - no shouting or cheering. They were smiling, but quite subdued, from what we've seen. I wonder did they really believe they would be rescued, considering the conditions.

No doubt we will hear lots of stories, once they start talking.

I'd say they were also dehydrated, malnourished and petrified at the water levels increasing!!!

I wonder what it was like for them after their escape was cut off in the beginning.
    Had they ever been in that far before?
    Were they pushed further and further in by the floodwater not knowing whether they'd reach higher ground?
    Would they have even known going through the choke points that it widened out on the other side?

I'd say they were also dehydrated, malnourished and petrified at the water levels increasing!!!
    That has to be considerd too. TU, theyoungchap. :D

josip wrote: »
    I wonder what it was like for them after their escape was cut off in the beginning.
    Had they ever been in that far before?
    Were they pushed further and further in by the floodwater not knowing whether they'd reach higher ground?
    Would they have even known going through the choke points that it widened out on the other side?

Hard to imagine! Must have been extremely scary. I think I read somewhere that the coach had had prior experience of that cave when it was dry, so he might have been able to guide them as regards the layout. While some people seem to give him some negative feedback, I think he did a great job in keeping all of those boys together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭ebbsy

MEDIA BRIEFING NOTE Number 13 – 10 July 2018

A tense but joyful outcome for the cave rescue at Tham Luang Nang Non Cave

Update for teams and media compiled 23:10h BST, Tuesday 10 July 2018

At 15:30h (21:30h Thai time) today (10/07/18), the Thai authorities in charge of rescue operations at Tham
    Luang Nang Non cave announced that the last four members of the Wild Boars football team, their coach and all cave divers were safely out of the cave after a final rescue operation that had started at 04:00h (10:00h Thai time). After they were brought out, the boys were taken by ambulance to hospital for health checks and to begin their recovery.

Today’s operation was almost a repeat of the rescues carried out yesterday and on Sunday when four boys were brought out each day. Today the total number rescued was five.
    The spearhead group of cave divers each day were four British and two Australians – one of whom was a doctor. After examination by the doctor the boys were kitted out with wetsuits and diving equipment and then each was dived out by one of the British divers passing support divers strategically placed at intervals on the way. After all the boys had left the chamber where they had been for a fortnight the four Thai navy SEAL divers who had been with them since shortly after they
    had been found also began their own dives out. This concludes one of the most incredible cave rescues ever.

BCRC does not normally get involved directly in rescue operations. That is the task of its member teams. This however was a unique occasion when individual cave divers and cave rescuers representing many teams collected together and worked as a truly national team under the BCRC banner. In total eight cave divers and three other cave rescuers travelled out to Thailand to help effect the rescue. They were backed up by a support team in the UK of BCRC officers themselves ably supported by further members from many teams. It has been both gratifying and humbling how the cave rescue world, cave divers and the wider caving world have come together during the past fortnight to help the Thais and others from many nationalities pull off what many believed to be an impossible task.

Our thanks from the cave rescue community is also due to many equipment suppliers, employers and non-caving friends who have supported the rescue effort and to civil servants at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office both in the UK and the British Embassy in Bangkok who have helped in so many ways.
    Finally we send our best wishes to the boys and coach of the Wild Boars Football team and their families for a swift recovery from their ordeal.

Point of contact:

Please direct any enquiries about the cave rescue operation to: comms@caverescue.org.uk or visit BCRC on the newly created FaceBook page; (https://www.facebook.comBritishCaveRescueCouncil/).

Briefing prepared by BCRC Officers, 10 July 2018.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Video released by Thai authorities on some of the obstacles faced as they stretchered the boys out..
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/watch-navy-seal-video-of-the-thai-cave-rescue-shows-how-dangerous-the-mission-was-854464.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Jesus, will you just fuk off and make a new thread. You're poison.

I probably would have anyway, but on principle, if someone tells me to "fuk off" because they don't like what I'm saying-not because it's untrue mind-I just have to come back. Enjoy your media spectacle everyone, but don't expect me to indulge your delusion that you really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

....... wrote: »

Its funny how they recognised themselves in a post they were not mentioned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

RIGOLO wrote: »

Some of it (including the diagram) corroborates what I said about the diving section being reduced to 30m by pumping:

"They said there were three main sumps on the path to chamber three, about 10 to 20 metres long, separated by up to 300m of dry ground."

But this bit contradicts it:

"The 12 boys, who wore diving cylinders and were each tethered to an adult diver, had to submerge themselves for much of the journey."

Am sure we will find out more soon. Cave divers are a special breed.

There was a video of a boy coming out of the last piece of the journey on TV3 News this evening. It said the boys were heavily sedated and you can see the boy, all wrapped up, was being carried out on a stretcher between two divers. That's understandable, considering the roughness of the terraine which had to negotiated on foot. No wonder they had to be stretchered away by ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

acai berry wrote: »
    There was a video of a boy coming out of the last piece of the journey on TV3 News this evening. It said the boys were heavily sedated and you can see the boy, all wrapped up, was being carried out on a stretcher between two divers. That's understandable, considering the roughness of the terraine which had to negotiated on foot. No wonder they had to be stretchered away by ambulance.

It was an absolute amazing skillful brave and selfish rescue . My full respect for each and every person involved

Lovely this morning, to see the Boys sitting up in their beds waving to the cameras and making signs to their parents who are still outside a glass wall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44797035

Thailand cave rescue: First footage emerges of boys in hospital

Three of the boys and their coach will have to get citizenship somehow if they're to accept foreign soccer clubs invitations.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-cave-refugees/thai-cave-rescue-draws-attention-to-countrys-stateless-children-idUSKBN1K11CK

Interesting! Surely, there will be no problem awarding them citizenship after what they have been through. The've done themselves and the country proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

theyve been offered a trip to visit Old Tratford to meet the team, have these kids not been through enough already.

Advertisement