Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given notice unexpectedly

Options
  • 02-07-2018 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭

So got a phonecall today and discovered my flatmate had moved. We had separate leases etc and I've been living here for over 2 years. The agent for the apartment has given me notice on the grounds that he doesn't want to find somebody to share with me as it's easier to find somebody who will take both rooms.

He said if I can find a person that I know to take other room, then I can stay otherwise notice. So where do I stand rights wise in relation to this? Also discovered apartment isn't registered with RTB. Slightly sick after hearing the news.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Find someone to share!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Find someone to share!

Yep, gonna put ad up on daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

batgoat wrote: »
    So got a phonecall today and discovered my flatmate had moved. We had separate leases etc and I've been living here for over 2 years. The agent for the apartment has given me notice on the grounds that he doesn't want to find somebody to share with me as it's easier to find somebody who will take both rooms.

He said if I can find a person that I know to take other room, then I can stay otherwise notice. So where do I stand rights wise in relation to this? Also discovered apartment isn't registered with RTB. Slightly sick after hearing the news.
    If you have a separate lease (i.e. you are not jointly responsible for the whole rent and you just have exclusive use of only your room and share the remaining facilities of the property) then you cannot be given any notice to quit unless it is one of the reasons of section 34 of the RTA and mate leaving is not a section 34 reason. Of course helping to find a new mate is in your strong interest since you will filter out possible bad/incompatible flatmates. In addition given the fact that you do not have exclusive use and are just renting the room, should  you decide to cause obstacles, the landlord or one of his close family members could move into the other room and you will loose tenant status (you would become a lodger with no rights to stay at all). Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

GGTrek wrote: »
    If you have a separate lease (i.e. you are not jointly responsible for the whole rent and you just have exclusive use of only your room and share the remaining facilities of the property) then you cannot be given any notice to quit unless it is one of the reasons of section 34 of the RTA and mate leaving is not a section 34 reason. Of course helping to find a new mate is in your strong interest since you will filter out possible bad/incompatible flatmates. In addition given the fact that you do not have exclusive use and are just renting the room, should  you decide to cause obstacles, the landlord or one of his close family members could move into the other room and you will loose tenant status (you would become a lodger with no rights to stay at all). Good luck

I would agree with most of the above. However, I don’t think a tenant’s status could be changed without the appropriate notice even if a family member moved in immediately. Ultimately the result would end up the same.

Don’t worry about the tenancy not being registered with the RTB, a tenant is still protected by it.

Advertisement