Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Costa coffee -opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Chelon wrote:
    In my experience thet just throw the coffee at you and all for an eye watering price. Anyone else think they're very poor?

Terrible coffee at an inflated price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I don't believe its coffee beans they grind at all but coffee flavoured rabbit droppings with coffee aroma pumped out with the aircon , absolute tasteless dish water .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I only drink coffee the very odd time so really savor it when I do..

Costa is horrendous stuff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Horrible brew. Independent coffee shops who offer a choice of beans, whether freshly roasted or just fresh ground, are far better and usually cheaper and give a better service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Does anyone have anything good to say about any of the franchise coffee shops??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

No, because they are big companies making profit and people just don't like that.

Costa are fine, but they cater for the mass market the with McDonald's, kfc etc etc.

Plenty of places with better coffee, similarly plenty with better burgers and better chicken.

But if you want a break and a sit-down and happy with reasonable coffee and pay a premium for convenience, then Costa is fine.

Personally I think its way overpriced, but they are handy places to meet someone.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will now search out Costas. Only usually have their mocha and a cake. Would not go in for something I could easily make at home myself

Used to have a penchant for Starbucks but I found you would get quite different tastes particularly in Ireland. I'm fine with them in the US and UK though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Undrinkable. have a cup of tea.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    No, because they are big companies making profit and people just don't like that.

Costa are fine, but they cater for the mass market the with McDonald's, kfc etc etc.
    No, it's because their beans are burnt, bitter and acidic. Great if you like that, in fact you'll be spoilt for choice, but don't accuse people of not liking low grade poor quality coffee because they're sold by "big companies". McD's aren't bad really... if you're stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    No, it's because their beans are burnt, bitter and acidic. Great if you like that, in fact you'll be spoilt for choice, but don't accuse people of not liking low grade poor quality coffee because they're sold by "big companies". McD's aren't bad really... if you're stuck.

If what you say was true, Costa would not have a business. But generally coffee snobs will always say mr big brand name is rubbish.

They sell to a mass market and their product is produced to what that market likes.

Same with McDonald's - burgers are fine, but would not compare to the more artisan burger places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Their loyalty card is poor, yet to get anything on it

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Quite glad to hear that most on here don't rate their coffee. The difference compared to McDonalds etc though is that McDs don't try to be something they are not, whereas looking at Costas blurb you're expecting heaven in a cup.

Compared to many other good coffee shops they really do take little care when pouring eg a latte. Just watch them dump the milk and coffee in. All geared to speed and not quality.

As mentioned above it is usually also red hot; though I've noticed a lot of places in town are serving this way recently. I got a great tip - a cube or two of ice is a good fix and doesnt dilute too much.

Also I'm remembering that Costa are owned by Whitbread - I seem to remember their coffee wasn't quite as bad when they were independent.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If what you say was true, Costa would not have a business. But generally coffee snobs will always say mr big brand name is rubbish.
    Very simplistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Don’t rate costa much...McDonald’s is fine but as mentioned to hot. What I have found my self drinking the last few weeks is bewleys when I do need to have coffee on the go. My local topaz does bewleys and has the temp perfect and still €2 for a regular cup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Patww79 wrote: »
    Where I get mine doesn’t even advertise it’s Bewleys or the machine ist branded only for I seen them filling the hopper with bags of Bewleys beans...
    I mentioned that the coffee was a little on the cool side to the owner and sure enough got someone in from Bewleys and perfect since...nice to be listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I hate Costa with a passion, my wife loves it though.

I think they purposely burn or over extract the coffee, so you are pretty much forced to get something in it to make it drinkable.

I drink black coffee at home, aeropress, french press, espresso machine - but Costa black coffee is nigh on undrinkable.

When I go with my wife I usually just get a hot chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Costa is not great tbh. Also I was in the US last year and Starbucks over there is actually very good compared to here. I cannot drink it here at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Costa do a nice hot chocolate. It's a got a much more chocolately taste than the nothing but sweetness Cadburys one that most cafes stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Just to add some balance. Of the major players (Starbucks, Insomnia, Cafe Nerro etc) I think the Costa coffee is the best.

Having said that i use a local cafe and coffee angel kiosk near my work mostly, much nicer flavour. But for convenience if in a shopping centre And have a choice of the major stores, then I'd go costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There are two Costas in walking distance of me and they both taste fine as far as I'm concerned. I only usually ever get Americano with a bit of milk though. I'd have defended Starbucks as acceptable also but I went into the stillorgan branch for my first Starbucks in ages there last month and it was indeed terrible.

I'd usually go independent if it were an option as they rarely charge €3 for a small coffee, but in a lot of areas you've no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

At least they don't write your name on the cup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I like McDonald's coffee.

I find Costa coffee very bitter.

A million years ago there was a small place in the Epicurean Mall used to do lovely coffee - all I remember was they had an orange and skyblue logo. I think at one stage the place on the boardwalk near O'Connell bridge served the same coffee. It was good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

spurious wrote: »
    A million years ago there was a small place in the Epicurean Mall used to do lovely coffee - all I remember was they had an orange and skyblue logo. I think at one stage the place on the boardwalk near O'Connell bridge served the same coffee. It was good stuff.

It was Italian wasn't it? Probably the best coffee I've had in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Costa Coffee in Ireland is terrible. Costa Coffee in Spain is much better. The standard of coffee Costa Coffee serve in Ireland just wouldn't be acceptable in Spain where coffee is generally fantastic everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Gonzo wrote:
    Costa Coffee in Ireland is terrible. Costa Coffee in Spain is much better. The standard of coffee Costa Coffee serve in Ireland just wouldn't be acceptable in Spain where coffee is generally fantastic everywhere.

Seems it's only the Irish operation that likes to provide consumer's with a cup of bitter/burnt coffee. Don't remember ever drinking bad coffee in Italy no matter the outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have only been there a handful of times and it would have always been on a work meet or in the airports or such. Personally I have never felt the urge to go to Costa for a coffee. Its a bit pricey for that and there isn't one near anyway.
    But those handful of times the coffee was decent and tasty and well presented and I enjoyed it. And it wouldn't call myself an expert or knowing much about coffee at all, but I'm a coffee drinker for many years and I think I can tell a bad coffee from a good coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It’s ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

McDonalds is probably the best in terms of widely available coffee. Though I haven't tried Centra since they started with the Frank & Honest branding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Agree with the previous poster, coffee in Ireland is frequently bitter. I can drink espresso abroad no problem without milk and sugar, couldn't do that here.

In my local Spar Tim Hortons (pretty good) was replaced by Seattle's Finest (awful, undrinkable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I find it Bitter and acidic too. I love my coffee and tried it once. Wouldn't go back. Maybe people assume that's what good coffee is supposed to taste like because a reputable chain like Costa is selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Can't stand Costa... very burnt also hugely overpriced. My local artisan coffee shop does fantastic coffee at 2.20 for a decent Americano... so why is Costa something like 70c more than that ?

Also get treated like a human being rather than another face .... people barely looking up from the till and the 'barista standing with their back to you throwing coffee out ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I usually find that the sit-in coffee tastes much better that the take-away stuff. Must be something to do with the dilution rate for the take-away containers.

I agree that Costa is not better than the independents and I would not really chose them if there was a choice. However usually I go for my lunch to coffee shops and their food options are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very bitter. Not a fan. I'd even prefer Starbucks over Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I find Costa to be much more expensive than other places and the coffee is not great at all.

Like a lot here, I would always go for a good independent place where you usually get better quality beans, but sometimes these places aren't great for meeting up with people due to less seating and business (and I feel guilty hogging a seat for an hour with just a coffee tbh) so the larger chain places can be handy for that aspect on occasions. Of the chains I would probably go for Insomnia (their new fit outs are very comfy seating wise too), as the coffee is drinkable and not extortionate, but far from great.

Of the "chains" Joy of Coffee is by far the best. Coffee Angel pretty good too.

Apart from the quality of the Costa black stuff itself (debatable) how can they call themselves a high end operation when their lattes & cappuccinos are just thrown together with none of the skill or artwork you find in smaller shops? All done for speed and profit.

Going off topic, I had a delicious Americano in the Happy Pear cafe recently, almost bought a bag of the stuff but pricey stuff..

• Advertisement

Chelon wrote: »
    none of the skill or artwork

Honestly, who cares if a Latte has a nice design on the top, if it tastes nice?

Honestly, who cares if a Latte has a nice design on the top, if it tastes nice?

coffee from button pushers generally doesn't taste nice. A good cup of coffee takes some skill.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    coffee from button pushers generally doesn't taste nice. A good cup of coffee takes some skill.

a skill that doesn't necessarily have to extend to being able to do a bit of frothy art, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I avoid Costa like the plague, I just cannot stand their coffee, bland and bitter is how i would describe it. Also their staff do not seem to be trained very well- I order a regular coffee and the espresso shot goes into a steel jug before being added to the cup of hot water- this means much of that lovely crema ends up stuck to the inside of the steel jug rather than floating in my coffee. They basically never serve you the nicest part of the coffee. Ive said it to staff in there before and all I got was a shrug of the shoulders, I get the impression many of them are just going through the motions and are not coffee drinkers themselves.

Otherwise McDonalds is actually pretty decent and very consistent. Cant comment on Starbucks as its been years since I tried it mainly due to their prices. Insomnia usually make a good coffee as well. But for me I will never darken the door of Costa again, I would prefer to go without rather than drink that plonk.

a skill that doesn't necessarily have to extend to being able to do a bit of frothy art, in my opinion.

agreed. It makes no difference to me.

co

You know I do agree, but it can be "nice to have" - but my point was that when Costa make a latte process seems to be:-

fill cup with milk
    drop a shot into middle of it
    That's it

Nono of the carefully poured velvety topping you'd find in a decent place, whether artwork there or not

I'm not entirely sure that's exactly correct.

Whenever my mrs gets the latte in Costa, there is always some rudimentary design on the top, normally one of them heart/leaf designs or whatever it is.

Or maybe that's the Flat White.

But sure lookit, getting a design on a bit of froth is lipstick on a pig as far as Costa goes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

find their americano very bitter no flavour

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's muck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement