Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord after destroying personal belongings

Options
  • 02-07-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hey All
    Quick facts
    • Lived in the house three years, same landlord
    • Never issues either side
    • Gave notice three weeks ago, moving home
    • Over weekend landlord painted house, didn't cover jackets(four including his girlfriends)
    • All Jackets destroyed in paint.

How do I approach this?
    I'd like to think after three years of no issues that this wasn't malicious, but you just don't know people today.

Agreement made last month that at I would pay half the rent this month and the deposit (same amount) would fulfil rest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ask followed by small claims procedure if he doesn't pay up. Bear in mind the cost of a second hand jacket is not going to be all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Just spoke to him there.

V sound about it.

Said he will try get cleaned first, if that doesn't work will pay full value for one (cos its only new) and 70% of the other cos its about 4 years old.

Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Sounds like a good'un

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Good result

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just spoke to him there.

V sound about it.

Said he will try get cleaned first, if that doesn't work will pay full value for one (cos its only new) and 70% of the other cos its about 4 years old.

Happy with that.

What they call a "keeper" . A rare breed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Just spoke to him there.

V sound about it.

Happy with that.

I'd reconsider the move tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Graces7 wrote: »
    What they call a "keeper" . A rare breed!
    Deffo a rare breed.

If I wasn't moving city and job I'd have no issue in staying

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I am a landlord and I would pay for damage like that no problem

Don’t think that makes me a rare breed , just not an asshole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Do you think the landlord can expense something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ask followed by small claims procedure if he doesn't pay up. Bear in mind the cost of a second hand jacket is not going to be all that much.

Is your solution to every issue to run immediately to a court case or small claims court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Is your solution to every issue to run immediately to a court case or small claims court?
    Well he is a lawyer after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CeilingFly wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Advertisement