Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Austria v Ironman Cork

Options
  • 02-07-2018 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I wasn't even considering Ironman Austria 2019 until I received an email today offering me priority registration. The date suits me much better than the date for this year's race would have done, and in a lot of ways it will raise far less issues for me than racing in Cork on 23rd June would.

Forgetting about the extra cost of getting to Austria, which of these two races would people recommend? I've only ever heard positive feedback from anybody who has raced in Austria, and for Ironman Cork it's probably impossible to say anything about an event in its inaugural year.

What I'd primarily want from either race is a Kona slot, but it would also be nice to break 9 hours. I'm guessing there would be a better chance of doing this in Austria? If I can manage that, then the time should be good enough to guarantee automatic qualification, but will there be the same number of WC slots at both races?

Any other reasons someone might recommend one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A grumpy old man who used to race triathlons (not me, a different one) once said never do a race in it's first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

If I was seriously chasing a time like a sub 9 where every minute detail counts and margins are so fine I'd rather be doing it on a well proven and known course.

The biggest risks in Austria I suppose are high temperature and a non wetsuit swim. In Cork you have the potential for a weather or tide affected sea swim along with an untested bike and run route. Weather in Ireland can also be unpredictable, IM 70.3 Galway had some atrocious conditions IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Austria for sub 9 and Cork for Kona. I could be wrong but you might need an 8.50/55 in Austria for a slot as its normally a stacked AG field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Austria for sub 9 and Cork for Kona. I could be wrong but you might need an 8.50/55 in Austria for a slot as its normally a stacked AG field.

It was only the winner in my AG who went sub 9 yesterday, 2nd place was 9:07. I'm not sure how many slots will be given to the 35-39 AG, but 5th was 9:20. To be honest I think if every likely lad from Ireland and the U.K. were to turn up in Youghal, it would make qualifying from there just as difficult as qualifying from Austria would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

zico10 wrote: »
    It was only the winner in my AG who went sub 9 yesterday, 2nd place was 9:07. I'm not sure how many slots will be given to the 35-39 AG, but 5th was 9:20. To be honest I think if every likely lad from Ireland and the U.K. were to turn up in Youghal, it would make qualifying from there just as difficult as qualifying from Austria would be.

I did not see the weekends results, was thinking earlier years you had to go 8.50-55. Austria is meant to be a fantastic race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BTH wrote: »
    A grumpy old man who used to race triathlons (not me, a different one) once said never do a race in it's first year.

In all fairness ironman has a very very good track record for first time races. ( thats the good thing of their mc Donalds stye template.
    The only one that I can think of in last 10 years that did not work in Europe was pula and that was a franc hised race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

zico10 wrote: »
    I wasn't even considering Ironman Austria 2019 until I received an email today offering me priority registration. The date suits me much better than the date for this year's race would have done, and in a lot of ways it will raise far less issues for me than racing in Cork on 23rd June would.

Forgetting about the extra cost of getting to Austria, which of these two races would people recommend? I've only ever heard positive feedback from anybody who has raced in Austria, and for Ironman Cork it's probably impossible to say anything about an event in its inaugural year.

What I'd primarily want from either race is a Kona slot, but it would also be nice to break 9 hours. I'm guessing there would be a better chance of doing this in Austria? If I can manage that, then the time should be good enough to guarantee automatic qualification, but will there be the same number of WC slots at both races?

Any other reasons someone might recommend one over the other?

i would be suprised if both races had not the same slots

at present its widely known that easist qualification for hawaii is uk

so i guess ireland will fall there

austria will be at least 10 min fiaster at normal circumstances ( heat in austria could negate that but becasue of road surface and more climbing in ireland it cant be slower )

of all the IM races I have to say austria is my favorite if you dont have to stay to far from the race ( which can be an issue but there is a camp site right beside the start and it dosnt get much better than that, as the lake is amazing) so therefore before you book see if you find accomondation that suits you.

if my primary goal was to go to kona ( and perofrm there well ) i would do ireland as less traveling and easier qualification( based on history on uk qualifcation being the easeist, so you would not have to race 100% to get a slot.

if you want to do a vacation around it and have a good sub 9 chance ( suprisingly this year is was slower ) than austria is a good race

and i see no issues not qualifing there either and its a bike course that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Would racing at either of them mean a slot for Kona 2019 (the same year as the qualifying race)?

joey100 wrote: »
    Would racing at either of them mean a slot for Kona 2019 (the same year as the qualifying race)?

It would. Ironman Vichy, on the last weekend in August, is the first race that is a qualifier for the following calendar year. There will be more than a three month turnaround between Austria and Kona and it wouldn't bother me having to do another full distance race the following October.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »

IM Austria is fecking epic, if I ever get right I am going back.

And I wasn't old when I said that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Austria is fabulous. I'd go back in a heartbeat if it wasn't such a logistical headache (long drive / train journey from airport)

Ironman Italy was very well organised for a year one event and you did Mallorca yourself in year one so you know the story for how well that did or didn't go. The only poor thing about Italy was the broken track pumps in transition on race morning. :)

Cork is unlikely to sell out, so you can always enter Austria and pay the 40 odd euro to transfer to Cork if you change your mind along the way.

Cork is unlikely to sell out, so you can always enter Austria and pay the 40 odd euro to transfer to Cork if you change your mind along the way.

That isn't a bad idea. I might actually do that. I have until Sunday to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Austria is a sensational race. Would do it again in a heartbeat

I've made my decision and it's going to be Austria. I'm just after registering and can't see myself transferring the entry to Cork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just for pure enjoyment of the race, Cork wouldn't be a patch on Austria anyway!

Advertisement