Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for patch in front of house

Options
  • 02-07-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a patch in front of our house and it's a bit of an eyesore to be honest. My neighbour and I are happy to redo it so just looking for ideas.

Just to note:
    - the grey slab will be placed in the ground. It's a hydrant sign.
    - under the shrubs is gravel.

I was thinking mini conifers in the back and shrubs such as 'Daphne odora Aureomarginata' as well as a few perennials. Not fussy if we keep the grass/gravel, do only one or even decorative bark. I'm open to any suggestions though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're own ideas are usually the best for your own patch.

The only points I would make are bark would be likely to blow away as it dries and Daphnes are very temperamental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got a playlist of video clips of shrubs in my own garden if you want to see if that gives you any other ideas. I'd be inclined to pick some smaller shrubs and perennials to replace the scorched grass at the front so you can still see the plants further back. Depending on your neighbors pets or children it might be better to get something hardy in there that could deal with a bit of rough treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Thanks so much for your replies. And for the link to the videos. I'll definitely have a look and see if there's anything suitable :)

The poor grass never really took off and is just a bathroom for the local cats unfortunately :( It was planted up by a landscaping company who did a few other beds in the estate but it just hasn't really taken off properly. Half the plants are dead and I wouldn't be mad about the ones in it at the minute so I'd like to do an overhaul.

Advertisement