Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house, first view 3rd week in August

Options
  • 02-07-2018 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,

planning to sell our house in Dublin, with a first viewing in 3rd week of August. I imagine second and subsequent viewing would go through September. We cant do any earlier. I know things get quiet over the winter but I'm hoping August is fine, people still actively going to viewings, bidding etc.

Anyone any experience with selling in autumn?

Is there ever a point when you are just better off waiting until spring?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

We went sale agreed on a house at the beginning of Nov, put our own house on the market two days later & went sale agreed on Dec 8th.

I’d avoid putting a house on the market in Dec or early Jan. Other than that I don’t really know if it makes much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I agree, the only month we found super quiet was January. We sold in November and bought in December. Would say August September is a good time to sell as people generally back from hols plus far enough away from Christmas. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

We put our house on the market early/mid september 2016. Like yourself I was worried we had missed the boat. In the end we had lots of interest. Sale agreed by late Oct. Sold early Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would have thought the summer was quieter than the winter. I know from getting property alerts from Daft/Myhome that there's always more out there once September hits than between May and August. People are more likely to be away during the summer so makes selling harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There won't be a house buying season in a market that's lacking supply.

I don't know where people are getting this impression from.

Bar something like Christmas when people are traditionally busy there isn't a season to be concerned about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

My experience viewing properties is with apartments so the market might be a bit different.

But having said that I’d say your timing is not bad. What I have seen over the years is that the market gets fairly quiet in July/August and then picks-up again with a good number of places going sale agreed in September/October/early November, before hitting a very quite time in December/January and then gradually picking-up to reach its strongest period around April/May.

As other have said it is a sellers market anyway so you will fine buyers most of the time of you have a good property to sell, but IMO the best time to put a property on the market seem to be April, followed by early September which is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would have thought the summer was quieter than the winter. I know from getting property alerts from Daft/Myhome that there's always more out there once September hits than between May and August. People are more likely to be away during the summer so makes selling harder.

In my experience he most quiet period is mid-December to mid-January. Pretty much no movement during that month. But yes the summer (especially July / early August) is also fairly quiet and things pick-up in the beginning of Septembre.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

listermint wrote: »
    There won't be a house buying season in a market that's lacking supply.

I don't know where people are getting this impression from.

Bar something like Christmas when people are traditionally busy there isn't a season to be concerned about .

My house went sale agreed the day before Christmas eve last year. Went up for sale the end of November. Loads of viewings and interest through whole of December so dont think theres any time to be concerned about given the current climate

Advertisement