Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

're seeding

Options
  • 02-07-2018 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Is it 2 hot to put in a lawn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes.
    It would be madness in current weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Pointless sowing seed alright but perfect for levelling and tilling the soil in preparation for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

When will be the best time to sow grass seeds; around September?

Does the same go for getting a rolled lawn put down, or is that completely different?

September would be the typical best time.
    I think rolled lawn would be even more work right now as the grass is growing but no root structure in your soil so would need huge watering to sustain it during this dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Would it not be harder to level the ground now when it is so dry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SLIPPERY FROG

stamjoe wrote: »
    Would it not be harder to level the ground now when it is so dry?

Hi guys..
    Have a lad in throwing in a lawn .. he's going seeding it tomorrow. I am wary.. advice please..he is using a Seder.

Hi guys..
    Have a lad in throwing in a lawn .. he's going seeding it tomorrow. I am wary.. advice please..he is using a Seder.

Nationwide hosepipe bam from Friday.
    Even if your on your own well I think starting into watering a lawn from it would be madness as the water table is well down.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Hi guys.. Have a lad in throwing in a lawn .. he's going seeding it tomorrow. I am wary.. advice please..he is using a Seder.

Tell him take the day off and come back in 2 months.
    I sowed a big section about a month ago and it is becoming a tragedy due to no rain.
    Ask the weather lads, no change in next 10 days and it could extend.
    Save your money, and soul

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Brian is correct - Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hi guys..

If it was someone I was paying to do the job I'd be very much questioning his credentials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jamekill

Hi ,

We recently got our kerbing down & our lawns levelled. We are ready to seed but obviously due to current weather
    conditions, we will have to hold off until we get some guaranteed rain (probably Aug\Sept). In the meantime, some weeds have started to grow.
    What is the best course of action to take with these? Should we spray with Glyphosate now or wait until closer to seeding?
    All advice is welcome.

Thanks
    Jamekill

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

jamekill wrote: »
    Hi ,

We recently got our kerbing down & our lawns levelled. We are ready to seed but obviously due to current weather
    conditions, we will have to hold off until we get some guaranteed rain (probably Aug\Sept). In the meantime, some weeds have started to grow.
    What is the best course of action to take with these? Should we spray with Glyphosate now or wait until closer to seeding?
    All advice is welcome.

Thanks
    Jamekill

spray with roundup when they appear. i would regularly to keep them under control. it does take a couple of weeks to kill them off

Advertisement