Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not been paid for work.

Options
  • 03-07-2018 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Okay, so to make a long story short.

I was called up by management of an old job. Asked to work 8 hours. I done my work and was paid cash. I am not usually someone who accepts cash. But the manager insisted. So I took the pay.

Since then I worked two more days there. However, I was never paid and when ever I call into collect my pay every excuse is made. I am owed for a 13.5 hours.

What should I do? Would citizens information even entertain me when I was working for cash?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Refuse to leave until you get your pay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Mooooo wrote: »

Tried that. The manager behind the bar just walks away and ignores me.

I have called in many times since working these days also..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Threaten to report them to revenue, if they insisted on paying cash they are avoiding tax

Threaten to report them to revenue, if they insisted on paying cash they are avoiding tax

Ok, suppose if I didn't threaten them and just went ahead and reported them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/assist-us/reporting-shadow-economy-activity/reporting.aspx

They won't come after you (this time) as a few hrs tax free is small fish.
    They'd much rather catch the employer.

Revenue are actually good to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

That's a bit of a jump. You can't know whether or not they have declared the expense of paying cash or not...

That's just gonna get you lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

That's a bit of a jump. You can't know whether or not they have declared the expense of paying cash or not...

Let revenue investigate that.

mikeecho wrote: »

Let revenue investigate that.

They aren't unless OP can prove it's systemic...

Invoice them, technically you are self employed in this instance...

It is an offence to with hold payment for services rendered without just cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I'm not recommending you do this, but it would get you paid pronto.

Make a sign saying "X REFUSE TO PAY MY WAGES" and stand outside their business. They will pay you immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Start a complaint with the Workplace Relations Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I'm not recommending you do this, but it would get you paid pronto.

Make a sign saying "X REFUSE TO PAY MY WAGES" and stand outside their business. They will pay you immediately.

You need to go above him. Give an ultimatum and a date that your entering the premises with this sign. And do it. Or get a load of your mates and go in with high viz on. With “debt collectors “

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Will they need you again?

If so insist on payment in full when they next call you (I'm guessing you have a skill they need)

If it is a job others can do but they need you just to fill a gap, they say yes the next time and sit around until you are paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Forget revenue - they won't be overly interested in small fry.

WRC is different - you were contracted to work, you did not get written contract, no payslip, no pay, no holidays.

They'll be out to the company very quickly looking for information.

Maybe letting them know that if they don't pay within 7 days that you will make a complaint to the wrc.

Thanks all, I was in contact last Thursday with the KP that works there. She likes to 'talk'.. So I let her know that I needed my money and I was going to go to revenue. She stated that I couldn't as I myself was working for cash. I explained, that I just didn't care and I had Monday booked off, to do this. I also explained that I was sick of waiting to receive my money "next week" and next week just wasn't coming. None of this was true, but I decided to chance my arm.

Friday at 10am. I was messaged by the manager, stating that my money was ready for collection on Saturday at 2pm. I replied and thanked him and I also stated that I appreciated it.

Yesterday, I went down to the restaurant and waited from 1pm and walked in at 1:55pm and the money was waiting for me in an envelope.

Thanks all for your advice.

Obviously they were hoping that I'd forget about it and not have to pay me.

job seeker wrote: »
    Thanks all, I was in contact last Thursday with the KP that works there. She likes to 'talk'.. So I let her know that I needed my money and I was going to go to revenue. She stated that I couldn't as I myself was working for cash. I explained, that I just didn't care and I had Monday booked off, to do this. I also explained that I was sick of waiting to receive my money "next week" and next week just wasn't coming. None of this was true, but I decided to chance my arm.

Friday at 10am. I was messaged by the manager, stating that my money was ready for collection on Saturday at 2pm. I replied and thanked him and I also stated that I appreciated it.

Yesterday, I went down to the restaurant and waited from 1pm and walked in at and the money was waiting for me in a envelope for me.

Thanks all for your advice.

Obviously they were hoping that I'd forget about it and not have to pay me.

If they cut corners like that to avoid paying staff I wonder what else they cut corners on?

Glad you got sorted.

Stay away.

If they cut corners like that to avoid paying staff I wonder what else they cut corners on?

Glad you got sorted.

Stay away.

Any corners, which can be cut. Are cut, I can assure you.

Cheers.

Yup, not worth the hassle. But the reason, I did work was purely because I was getting 13 p/h. Which was pretty good. That was only, because they were stuck though.

job seeker wrote: »

Glad you got sorted.

Stay away.

Any corners, which can be cut. Are cut, I can assure you.

Cheers.

Yup, not worth the hassle. But the reason, I did work was purely because I was getting 13 p/h. Which was pretty good. That was only, because they were stuck though.

Selling parrot as chicken lol?

Selling parrot as chicken lol?

If Parrot was a cheaper alternative of course they would be..

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement