Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep / Hibernate In 7: Password?

Options
  • 03-07-2018 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

I'd prefer to do the Hybrid S/H, rather than powering off every night. Looks available.

But, this machine was given me with no Passwords. It seems to be insisting Sleep will come only with a Password on 'wake up'?

I'm scared :( I daren't try for the (hidden) Hybrid and not be able to 'start' my machine in the morning.

Any advice, please?

Acer Veriton N282G ~ or looks like. Running 7.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Stigura wrote: »
    I'd prefer to do the Hybrid S/H, rather than powering off every night. Looks available.

But, this machine was given me with no Passwords. It seems to be insisting Sleep will come only with a Password on 'wake up'?

I'm scared :( I daren't try for the (hidden) Hybrid and not be able to 'start' my machine in the morning.

Any advice, please?

Acer Veriton N282G ~ or looks like. Running 7.

Thanks.
    This would be password you log on to computer when you start it.

Can't remember for sure ,but if your account has no password set, you will get prompted to set one up.
    Alternatively you can opt not to require password. See how is done on:

www.sevenforums.com
    www.eightforums.com
    www.tenforums.com

To check what OS you are on see:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks for that, Smuggler. It appears they explain it all clearly enough on that 7 Forum :)

I'll look into it properly when I'm a bit more compass mentas. Had a long day. Sat here, passing out. And the Dog's biting me.

Thanks again. Great help.

Aha! Just been fiddling and felt like I might update this thread, for any others .....

I Finally took the dive and did as Smuggler and his links suggested. Sussed " Sleep " out pretty quickly.

Select Sleep from the Shut Down menu. Click. Couple of seconds. Screen dies. All is good.

Next day; Poke a key. Couple of seconds. Screen lights up and ye back on line. Cool.

But, I heard HIBERNATION used less power, for over nighters?

Just dug around and found This article, which explains how to save a few more Watts, by giving 7 the Hibernate option, in the Shut Down menu.

Did what it said. Gained the Hibernate button. Hit it!

Screen died. I waited. Poked a key? Nuffn! Wiggled the mouse? Nuffn! (Stay Calm!)

Looked down at the machine? Power Button was Off.

Pressed it. It lit up. Screen lit up. I was looking at my home page! :D This'll do me!

Can't Thank Smuggler enough for nudging me in the right direction! A bit of patience, from you switched on peeps, can Seriously change some of us less savvy peoples day to day experiences :)

Thank you!

Glad to hear it worked for you - enjoy .....with caution.

You probably know - every stick has two ends.

Hibernation writes(from RAM) all your loaded programs to HDD/SDD into hidden hiberfil.sys file and shutdown PC completely. On startup, system read that file and load back to memory(RAM) - to you it presents everything the way you left last night. All cool until this file gets corrupted and it might happen for various reasons.

So be cautious:

1. I don't recommend hibernate your machine with unsaved documents.
    2. time-to-time restart(and i mean "Restart") you computer to refresh your system.
    3. hiberfil.sys file might be as big as amount of your computer physical memory(RAM) - mine was 13GB - could be issue for someone with low disk space.

I personally don't use this "feature" nor recommend, but this is your choice.

Ah. I see ~ sort of .....

I'd only be leaving my Yahoo mailer open, at most. On fire fox. I tend to read fora. Thus, I'll normally only have the two, three at most, tabs open at any time.

Before bed, I tend to close, say Boards. Then I'd 'shut down' the machine for the night. Given the option, I'd probably leave the mailer open, just so I can see if I have any mail, straight away.

How's that sound? Or should I say, 'To hell with the electric bill!' and put it back to Sleep?

As ye may have worked out, by now; I really haven't got a clue. I'm Literally the guy who just about switches it off and on :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Sleep won't use much power and would be quicker, esp if you have lots of RAM. If you get a powercut in the night it won't be saved. Hibernate is completely shut down after saving the current state

These features were designed most for laptops(to preserve battery), but can be used on PC's as well. It was great intention, but have negative sides.
    Don't know if you save/waste much power on AC - sleep mode uses just enough to keep memory(RAM) alive, other components "sleep".
    Hibernate wont use any power, but it might slow down "wake-up", especially on HDD(it reloads all memory content saved in hiberfil.sys back to RAM - imagine reloading 13Gb of data from HDD - nightmare)

As i mentioned, i do not use nor recommend. My system run on SDD and it is fast to boot and open programs.

For browsing you can set homepage to be your most used website and create shortcuts/favorites to other common used for fast access or use "restore previous session" - all browsers support this, only called different names.

sleep mode uses just enough to keep memory(RAM) alive, other components "sleep".

Hibernate wont use any power, but it might slow down "wake-up".

Hmmm ..... If Sleep just keeps RAM warm ~ Plus the fact that, with that, I just touch a key and my screen springs to life. With Hibernate, it restarts the machine, probably about 50% faster than a cold start. Plus the simple fact that You obviously don't like Hibernate, for what ever reason .....

Sod it. How many flies ....? I'll go back to Sleep! Seems like a nice compromise, anyway :)

Thanks, again, for the input.

Advertisement