Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainee accountant salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Alan_007_ wrote: »
    At the moment I could walk across the road to McDonald's and get paid more per hour!

You are also more likely to be productive and add value in McDonalds, than you are in your first and even second year as a trainee.

If you're still not really adding value by your second year you deserve a negative performance rating tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Kudos to everyone who's said they're newly qualified and willing to take questions. It's definitely something I'm thinking of getting in to.

I've just graduated with a 2.1 myself and I'm working as a Fund Accountant for the minute before going to Canada for a year or so where I might work in an office, or might work in a bar - wherever will take me.

My question is does anyone have any experience in then applying for Big 4? Would they prefer a fresh graduate? Would they prefer someone who wasn't off galavanting in their early-mid twenties? Or would they look at it as getting the 'travel bug' out of the way and as someone who is ready to start their career?

Also, is the 3 and a half years absolutely awful? I heard from Jan-May you'd be lucky to have time to scratch your arse but it's not totally uncommon to have built up a fair bit of TOIL and have some serious summers then after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

BOHtox wrote: »
    Kudos to everyone who's said they're newly qualified and willing to take questions. It's definitely something I'm thinking of getting in to.

I've just graduated with a 2.1 myself and I'm working as a Fund Accountant for the minute before going to Canada for a year or so where I might work in an office, or might work in a bar - wherever will take me.

My question is does anyone have any experience in then applying for Big 4? Would they prefer a fresh graduate? Would they prefer someone who wasn't off galavanting in their early-mid twenties? Or would they look at it as getting the 'travel bug' out of the way and as someone who is ready to start their career?

Also, is the 3 and a half years absolutely awful? I heard from Jan-May you'd be lucky to have time to scratch your arse but it's not totally uncommon to have built up a fair bit of TOIL have some serious summers then after that.

Working with a few guys who did that, travelled and now working in a contract so I don't think it will stop you, unless there's another crash and jobs are scarce.

You've got toil right although you have to use it for exams, but once you're qualified you can use it for extra holidays. Busy season really depends on clients and managers you work with. It wouldn't be enough to put me off if I was applying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I didn't start in the big four, but a top 10 firm. It didn't seem to matter that I was 26 and had been travelling the previous 4 years. I sold it as a huge positive though. I said I was more mature, looking to seriously start a career etc

Depends what you want out of travelling I wanted a big mad adventure and practically did anything but work in an office. Friends from my training wanted to get their qualification 1st and work in accountancy abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Just said I would add my bit in. Started in big 4 in 2016, non-accounting degree with only one CAP1 exemption.

Starting Salary 23,000
    Trainee 2 26,100
    Trainee 3 31,000 (anticipated)

If you get a high performance rating you'll get more of a salary increase in most firms. As well as this, passing exams first time gives you an exam bonus (small but nice to have all the same).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

If you want to avoid the insane hours then avoid the big 4 - it's not like there's a huge salary discrepancy that makes it worthwhile.

I worked for a top 10 and did nowhere near the hours that my partner did in his big 4 company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    If you want to avoid the insane hours then avoid the big 4 - it's not like there's a huge salary discrepancy that makes it worthwhile.

I worked for a top 10 and did nowhere near the hours that my partner did in his big 4 company.

It is not about salary at this stage, it’s about what you put on your resume. Ex Big Four says you were among the best in your year and you have the stamina and the grit to survive in that environment. That is a powerful statement when you are looking for a new gig early in your career especially if you are looking to move abroad.

Talking across firms, the current big 4 norms are roughly as follows this year:

1st year contract about €25k
    2nd year around €28k
    3rd year around €31k

Increments for good performance ratings, exam stage and exam bonuses are on top of that.

Anyone who's on 30-35k as a NQA is being robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

2nd year around €28k
    3rd year around €31k

Increments for good performance ratings, exam stage and exam bonuses are on top of that.

Big 4 were paying 23K to newbies in 2007 when I started.

A 2K increase 11 years later is terrible, esp considering the expense of rent in Dublin. Being paid monthly in arrears, most of my friends back then lived off their bank overdrafts;must be worse now

2nd year around €28k
    3rd year around €31k

A 2K increase 11 years later is terrible, esp considering the expense of rent in Dublin. Being paid monthly in arrears, most of my friends back then lived off their bank overdrafts;must be worse now
    Went well below that thanks to the crash.

A lot of people handing over 2/3 of their salary in rent tbh. It's only with good performance near the end of the contract that the salary resembles something people can live off properly.

• Advertisement

I joined in 2016 and 23k was the entry level salary, 24k for masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 traineecai

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of salary you would expect in the North. Just finished Fae waiting my results. Only a few months left on my contract. Not in big 4. I'm on £17k after working in my current place for years. I think it's low but would like to know if I'm sitting near what the average would be.

traineecai wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of salary you would expect in the North. Just finished Fae waiting my results. Only a few months left on my contract. Not in big 4. I'm on £17k after working in my current place for years. I think it's low but would like to know if I'm sitting near what the average would be.

Are you in Belfast or more rural area? Honestly that sounds desperately low even taking into account poor Sterling atm

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

17k sterling is about 19k euro so that definitely sounds very low. I've a couple more months before I'm qualified too but my salary would be just over 30k, and that's in the north west. Fyi thats not in practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I know the big 4 start around 15k in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3 traineecai

OttoPilot wrote: »

Are you in Belfast or more rural area? Honestly that sounds desperately low even taking into account poor Sterling atm

Im in newry. It feels desperately low.

haro124 wrote: »
    I know the big 4 start around 15k in Belfast

That is scandalous. Doesn't Belfast have its own housing problem?

Im in newry. It feels desperately low.

Lots of jobs at the moment anyway. Get onto one or two recruiters on LinkedIn and say you're looking for something in Dundalk and see what range they come back with. I'd be surprised if it wasn't over €35k for qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

Lots of jobs at the moment anyway. Get onto one or two recruiters on LinkedIn and say you're looking for something in Dundalk and see what range they come back with. I'd be surprised if it wasn't over €35k for qualified.

same as this! Im about 3 months ca diary out from been qualified and im in the 35K bracket! Im in industry, but i would imagine the pay gap bettween industry and practise is starting to close a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Anyone of you in the know familiar with trainee Actuary and qualified Actuary pay rates? Considering both as future careers and although job satisfaction is important, salary means more to me! Hope you can help and that this doesn't come across badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Anyone of you in the know familiar with trainee Actuary and qualified Actuary pay rates? Considering both as future careers and although job satisfaction is important, salary means more to me! Hope you can help and that this doesn't come across badly.

A grad will start around 30,a little more if they have exemptions from actuarial exams from college. Exams paid for and around 40 days for study a year, more like one a week rather than the many consecutive weeks that accountants get.
    Salary when qualified depends on a lot of things, area of work, performance, years of experience by the time you've qualified, etc. The exams are a tough slog but once qualified should be looking at 65/70 minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Good news is that the average salary package in Leinster of qualified staff is €110k!! Just have a lot of pain for the first couple of years!!

Eh no

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

actuar90 wrote: »
    A grad will start around 30,a little more if they have exemptions from actuarial exams from college. Exams paid for and around 40 days for study a year, more like one a week rather than the many consecutive weeks that accountants get.
    Salary when qualified depends on a lot of things, area of work, performance, years of experience by the time you've qualified, etc. The exams are a tough slog but once qualified should be looking at 65/70 minimum

Thanks so much for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

I did 3 years in small practice where I start on 16500 and moved up to 20250 which was just dreadful. I moved to industry for my final 6 months of my training contract was straight to 32,650 and now on 39,000 awaiting FAE results with a current increase on the table of 42000 pending fae results tomorrow but I will not be accepting less than 47-48 based on the current market.
    There was a salary survey released this year by CAI/Barden that stated newly qualified in Industry are on an average 61k package. I would love to know what jobs these people are in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are salaries outside Dublin?

I’m interested in a role with BDO in Limerick, according to someone here they pay 24-25k in Dublin so knock? a grand or 2 off that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DP79511

Hi
    Can anyone offer advice guidance on the Ca diary. Ive recently passed my fae on the elevation programme . Iam not working in a firm and at the moment getting little exposure to the competencies that iam suppose to hit in the diary... i am way behind in the diary also and have until september to complete. Just wondering if anyone out there has any insights into the diary from experience or from there work etc

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Trainee roles in Dundalk are between €16.5k and €18k. Not sure about fully qualified.

I started a trainee role in Dublin in the public sector this year starting at €25k year 1, 30k year 2, 35k year 3

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Gael23 wrote:
    I’m interested in a role with BDO in Limerick, according to someone here they pay 24-25k in Dublin so knock? a grand or 2 off that?

You can knock more than a grand off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 orlahall

Hi. I have just passed my FAE and I have a year left in my Trainee contract (Masters - 3years) I am currently on €21,500 in the midlands in an accountancy firm. What should I be expecting now that I am basically qualified. Any responses appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Has anyone ever heard of a trainee getting a pay rise outside of the usual increment?

I got my increment last month and was fairly underwhelmed. When my rent and general cost of living goes up I'll probably be poorer next year than I was last year.

In terms of ability and output I stack up very well against other trainees, even ones a year ahead.

Is it worth asking for an extra 1-2,000 or will it just make things more difficult for me at work?

Advertisement