Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used car between €6000-8000 - family friendly

• 03-07-2018 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at replacing my 2012 Fiat 500 with something that's a little more family friendly. Two doors only and the lack of air conditioning is getting old when trying to bring my little lady (13 months) about. A new to me car must have the following:

4 Doors
    Air conditioning
    Ideally no older than 2011
    I do enough distance (50km each way to work) to justify diesel but think I'd prefer to stay petrol
    Ideally less than 100,000km but not essential

I was looking and think the newer shape Panda (2012 onwards) might fit the bill but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

What about something like this?

Toyota Corolla 1.4

It's safe, relatively comfy and shouldn't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at replacing my 2012 Fiat 500 with something that's a little more family friendly. Two doors only and the lack of air conditioning is getting old when trying to bring my little lady (13 months) about. A new to me car must have the following:

4 Doors
    Air conditioning
    Ideally no older than 2011
    I do enough distance (50km each way to work) to justify diesel but think I'd prefer to stay petrol
    Ideally less than 100,000km but not essential

I was looking and think the newer shape Panda (2012 onwards) might fit the bill but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks very much.
    You forgot the most important piece, what's the budget!

Although I'll give my own suggestion of a newer type Suzuki Ignis which fits the bill perfectly. Nothing wrong with the Panda however.

EDIT: Ignore my budget rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    You forgot the most important piece, what's the budget!

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say €6000 to €8000 :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m gonna take a wild guess and say €6000 to €8000 :)

I've been sitting in the sun too long but I assume that means 6-8 along with the trade in?

Usual choice I'd be looking at along with the Ignis would be the i10, i20, Picanto, Rio etc etc

I’d say you’d like something like this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-soul-2011-diesel-in-white-nctd-2020/19112102

Not this particular one. Note the second hand tyre gone on the back right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I've been sitting in the sun too long but I assume that means 6-8 along with the trade in?

Usual choice I'd be looking at along with the Ignis would be the i10, i20, Picanto, Rio etc etc

I was planning on buying the new car and then selling the 500 privately as I'll get more for it that way than trading it in.

Will look at the options mentioned. BTW, I have no issues in buying a bigger car, I quite happily drive the missus BMW.

I’d say you’d like something like this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-soul-2011-diesel-in-white-nctd-2020/19112102

Not this particular one. Note the second hand tyre gone on the back right :)

Right up my street Colm but I think you commented somewhere before saying that they were a thirsty engine?

Only with the automatic gearbox. They’re very economical in manual. Same engine as we have in an i30. As with the i30 they can often need a replacement clutch at this age.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-2012-finance-available-/19136333

What are people's opinions on that? The Ceed seems to fit the bill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Get that Kia KH, it's right up your street (mine too). 'Tis funky and functional.

Have you looked at the Skoda Yeti? I'm on phone so can't link but 2 I've just looked up on DD that fall a bit outside your goal posts is one 2010 turf burner with only 80+km (280tax) for €8k and it comes with panoramic sunroof and full leather and the other is a 2012(red, €390tax) petrol 1.2 for €9,250 and 70Km.

But if you like the Kia you might like the Yeti. They get good reviews and are a bit roomier.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-2012-finance-available-/19136333

What are people's opinions on that? The Ceed seems to fit the bill.

Same mechanically as the Soul, only more dull. And a bit bigger.

That particular Ceed is quite basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Liam, what about going electric? You save money on petrol/diesel and also those crazy toll charges ( there is discount incentive for electric cards now )

Fermi wrote: »
    Liam, what about going electric? You save money on petrol/diesel and also those crazy toll charges ( there is discount incentive for electric cards now )

My journey would be quite fraught as it's about 55km each way so the range could be a bit of an issue. I'd quite happily go electric if it fell within budget.

humberklog wrote: »
    Get that Kia KH, it's right up your street (mine too). 'Tis funky and functional.

Have you looked at the Skoda Yeti? I'm on phone so can't link but 2 I've just looked up on DD that fall a bit outside your goal posts is one 2010 turf burner with only 80+km (280tax) for €8k and it comes with panoramic sunroof and full leather and the other is a 2012(red, €390tax) petrol 1.2 for €9,250 and 70Km.

But if you like the Kia you might like the Yeti. They get good reviews and are a bit roomier.

Yeah I had a look at the Yeti... but not in detail, I'll do that now. A neighbour has one and loves it. It'd certainly fit the bill. He seems to have had multiple electric issues with his though, namely the wiring breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Honda Jazz?

+1 for a petrol Yeti. 2 in the fanily and they've been great. Get an auto DSG if you can.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Honda Jazz?

I'm not ruling anything out so willing to look at all options.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What was that ugly yoke you were looking at a year ago Liam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Get a nice Honda jazz, they are bigger than most superminis and so much more reliable than what you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

That corolla is very basic if it's small but spacious u prefer honda jazz is brilliant they aren't the nicest car to drive also yaris Hyundai i20 and the fabia but they seem to be unloved on this forum bigger car nothing more family friendly than an Octavia

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    What was that ugly yoke you were looking at a year ago Liam?

Ah that was the very striking Fiat Qubo:

fiat-qubo-2012-892.jpg

It's a van with windows though.

It's a van with windows though.

That it is but it filled the requirements at the time: spacious, air conditioning and practical. There was such negativity though amongst family and friends though that I didn't go for it in the end.

What's the verdict on a Kia Cee'd? It's more expensive than my initial budget but if it makes sense to get something a little bigger then I might as well:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-1-4-crdi-estate-one-owner-2-years/19079042

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-sportwagon-in-exceptional-condition/19036888

Hi Folks,

Upping the budget to around €9,000 what do you think of the below:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-nissan-juke-1-5-dci-sport/18084758

I don't need a huge amount of space as it's just myself in the car 950% of the time. I usually only have my daughter in the car when Mam is away at work.

What about ?

http://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/nissan/leaf/kildare/2049596

no more diesel, petrol, savings every minute you drive. I would just check it would do distance you need in one charge but it should be fine.

What about ?

http://www.electricautos.ie/vehicles/nissan/leaf/kildare/2049596

no more diesel, petrol, savings every minute you drive. I would just check it would do distance you need in one charge but it should be fine.

A great suggestion but I do 55km each way every day so I think that'd be cutting it close for range? Also as I don't have a driveway I don't think I qualify for a grant to get the home charger installed. What's the cost of installation of one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You’d probably get a 10 year old Qashqai for around that price

fxotoole wrote: »
    You’d probably get a 10 year old Qashqai for around that price

I was looking at that but I'd prefer to go no older than 2011 and Quashqai's around that price point have high mileage on them.

A great suggestion but I do 55km each way every day so I think that'd be cutting it close for range? Also as I don't have a driveway I don't think I qualify for a grant to get the home charger installed. What's the cost of installation of one?

Charger is about 600 euro installed. When you say you do not have a driveway, this could be a problem. Regarding the range I am not sure how much would that one do. maybe somebody here knows?

Since I have got my electric car, my expenses related to car dropped from about 250 p.m. to about 40 p.h. (130 km round trip daily)

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,

Upping the budget to around €9,000 what do you think of the below:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-nissan-juke-1-5-dci-sport/18084758

I don't need a huge amount of space as it's just myself in the car 950% of the time. I usually only have my daughter in the car when Mam is away at work.

They’re tiny in the back.

Charger is about 600 euro installed. When you say you do not have a driveway, this could be a problem. Regarding the range I am not sure how much would that one do. maybe somebody here knows?

Since I have got my electric car, my expenses related to car dropped from about 250 p.m. to about 40 p.h. (130 km round trip daily)

He does not even have a designated parking space if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-1-3-diesel-75hp-upgraded-wheels-blu/18889951

Or frugal, reliable engine and that bad on the go.
    Dated design though

They’re tiny in the back.

Yeah I know that's the biggest complaint but really it's only ever going to be my 13 month old back there in a car seat. My partner has a 2005 series 3 series which we'll change in about 2 years time to something a little more family orientated. So really I'm not too bothered with the lack of rear space.
    bear1 wrote: »

True but it has a poor Euro ncap child occupant rating. The Panda was my initial choice until I started looking at Euro ncap ratings.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-1-3-diesel-75hp-upgraded-wheels-blu/18889951

Or frugal, reliable engine and that bad on the go.
    Dated design though

It is a very dated design alright so I think I'll pass. Plus it'd be my third Fiat in row!

You won’t like the Punto with it’s 0 star NCAP rating then :)

• Advertisement

You won’t like the Punto with it’s 0 star NCAP rating then :)

If I remember correctly the ncap was originally 5 when it came out but as the car never changed and the ncap changed criteria it then got a low score.
    Or I've remembered that arse ways

Personally I'd look at either the i30 or ceed.
    Wouldn't bother with the juke, they are horrible to drive and just ugly as sin.

Probably difficult to get insurance on being an import....... though yeah, it's right up my street.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-auto-2011/18839602

What about that generation of Octavia?

• Advertisement

Toyota Prius? Mileage is a bit above average but I wouldn't worry about that with a Prius:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9f8a780adf6c0407dd7bb0d5750d2770d.jpg
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2032725&r=s.php%3Fm%3D88%26o%3D747%26r%3D2012%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Toyota Prius? Mileage is a bit above average but I wouldn't worry about that with a Prius:

Definitely not off the cards, just the mileage is a little high but you say it's nothing to be too concerned about so I could look at it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-508-1-6-e-hdi-eco-active-112bhp/18872318

What about that, have Peugeot improved since the days of the 407 or are they still to be avoided?

Oh these hunts were all so much easier when I was fixed on what I wanted/needed!

I like those 508s, they are good value but I'd prefer the less risky 2.0 HDi engine over the 1.6.

Right, I am taking note of all the opinions and help I'm getting. For tonight though I'm getting the stares so I'll have to leave it here.

If I remember correctly the ncap was originally 5 when it came out but as the car never changed and the ncap changed criteria it then got a low score.
    Or I've remembered that arse ways

Yep, the test got tougher. Panda probably did well first time round too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 de Ville

Honda Jazz all the way, forget the others!

Honda Jazz?

Someone else just recommended one. I don't know what preconception I had about them but just looked them up now on DoneDeal and it'd seem to fit the bill:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-automatic-honda-jazz-not-jap-import/18496296

You also linked to a 2013 Nissan Note which originally was registered in the UK. Any preference between the two? Link above is for an auto, I'd wait to get a manual though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

That note is a newer model than the jazz don't have any experience with the note so can't comment the jazz is amazingly practical and usually reliable but I wud test one first i find them a bit rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why do you think 55km is diesel range?

Diesel would be 100km+

Is the 55km city driving?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why do you think 55km is diesel range?

Diesel would be 100km+

Is the 55km city driving?

If I was driving 55km to work, you can be sure I’d be buying a diesel. Where does the 100km figure come from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement